Universal Sonny (By Armor Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jan 12, 2017.

1. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Just use blocks/heals and skills that lower his power.

If you have ar or piercing attacks you can add them but you just need to defend ...

2. Bucusse

Bucusse Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Barcelona
    #42 Bucusse, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Foreman grosk

Done! Wasn't an easy fight. Had to dispell him regularly and heal constantly.

Fight 5 in frost land is really tough too. This archer with the 2 wolves are too quick attacking!

Great game so far! Needs improvement showing equipped items during battle.4/5 for me

3. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    #43 Mince0, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    The difficulty curve can get quite steep, just restarted after hitting act 3 and struggling massively.

This time I'm being more conservative with my money and skill point and getting through act3 with little issue.

I just worry that towards the end the game with become very strategy specific per enemy especially Bosses.

4. ghostlessly

ghostlessly Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Stuck on the Blitz Raptor world 5-5.

At that battle on two characters just can't win.

Some tips for other battles.

Treant and Titan: Focus the Treant use Suppression to keep his healing to a minimum. Titan is too tough before he enrages. Once titan enrages he is more vulnerable to damage. Use stun and slow to score more hits before he can hit you. Bleed is also incredibly strong against enraged titan.

World 3 Boss: Pretty straight forward fight. Keep him suppressed once he reaches half health as he will start to regen. Other than that not too challenging. Train up a couple levels if you're struggling.

Archer and two wolves: Focus one wolf at a time. They hit harder once they have lost health. AOE abilities are not recommended. Suppression is helpful here as they gain 50% health back. Stuns are big here too.

World 4 Boss: He's pretty tough. DO NOT KILL THE LAMPS RIGHT AWAY. Very important. Just use suppression to keep his heals low and chip away at him. Use your basic heal here. If you can get an evolution for Diffuse to make it heal everyone do that first. He has an AOE that won't kill you but will take you to a sliver of health and suppress you. If you have AOE on your heal use it to remove suppression from your team. I recommend trying to hold of killin the lamps until the second or third time he almost wipes your team. Only use them after he suppress as they will heal everyone to full.

I've had the most success using the Dr. and Veradux. They are able to heal themselves as well as each other which takes a lot of the burden of keeping them alive off you allowing you to be more offensive. Not that you shouldn't keep at least two heals on you. I've played Shadow and Electric and I prefer Electric.

Speed is a KEY stat. Allows you to attack more frequently and in some cases I was able to attack twice before they attacked once! Gives you dodge and increase hit chance.

Don't neglect your gear or your team mates gear. Keep everyone's items up to date and upgraded. If you're struggling look there.

You will have to train a bunch. I had to grind to level 20 to beat world 4 comfortably.

That's all I've got for now. Hope it helps.

5. walmartpolice

walmartpolice Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    I'm done with this for now.
    Too frustrating. Whole team got stunned on fight 8 I think In Frost?
    Enemy then took 3 entire turns while I took one just to recover from stun state.

Not fun. At all. Needs some kind of balance so it doesn't feel like every fight is just slinging random abilities against giant walls of meat.

Even Orcanon despite its flaws played a lot better than this.

6. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Game can be beat without training. But it's to freaking random with some of these fights. I tried 10 times with onein world 3 only to beat it with barely taking damage on the 11th try.

7. walmartpolice

May 12, 2012
    That's the relying I'm getting.
    Only reason I beat the 3rd world boss was because my basic attack FINALLY evolved taking away focus with every hit.

8. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    It's not random in a good way either. When I die playing a rogue like I can see the pattern in it. This.... it's just ****ing stupid that sometimes you die and there is no lesson to be learned aside of the game going "lol ima crit your party instajib in 1 attack"

then it teabags you

9. Tulki

Tulki Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    The encounters seem fair as long as you're critical of the game systems. Like if you're using fire skills you should probably be packing +fire damage gear. If your enemy can heal himself then you should bring stuns. If you want an ally to focus a target you should hit them with bleeds. Bring resists against your enemies.

Actually enjoying this quite a bit so far. The lack of animations and gear changing your appearance isn't as big a deal as most people made out. The music is great and the actual art quality and spell effects make up for it.

Only thing that's weirdly absent is how there's nowhere to view what abilities your allies actually have. Like, I can give Veradux +lightning gear but the only way I know it's useful is by seeing him use lightning shot in battle and inferring that it's lightning damage. And I'm guessing that his healing skills are nature type? But it's not listed anywhere.

10. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    #50 Solarclipse, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    It seems the damage color tells you the strain. Green nature, lightning yellow, etc , but I was thinking this too, I want to know my allies' skills, especially when party composition starts to be a choice.

11. Just saw this on sidebar of toucharcade today. I've never seen this game before, but looks like there is a flash/original version. I saw people talk about the lack of animation, some can accept it, some cannot. I am not very picky about fancy effects, as long as the experience is solid. So I am wondering which version has better overall experience? Or just What's the difference? I prefer to buy the iOS version as a support to the developer, if there is no big difference.

12. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I think this is a reboot, not played the originals but it's a good game, with a interesting story to keep things moving it's quite repetitive but also very strategic which helps with the repetition. you need to learn enemy move patterns etc

13. Dora

Dora New Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 17, 2017
    It's complicated. Also nebulous. But I do lots of
    Florida
    Hey everyone! My name is Dora, and I work at Armor Games. I wanted to step in and respond to some stuff I saw here.

One of the first things I want to clarify is that Sonny is not a sequel to the original games (so, not the fabled Sonny 3), nor is it a port or a remaster. It is, as some have suggested, a reboot of sorts... the tutorial areas follow the first portion of the original game, and a lot of familiar characters return, but the story itself is all original, and has its own complete ending. :) Obviously it would have been unfair and unreasonable to expect people to pay for a sequel to or a port of a game they originally got for free, so over the years that Sonny was in development, Krin worked hard to make sure it was a completely new adventure that both fans and newcomers could enjoy.

As far as things like the animation or changing equipment go, obviously that's something we know a lot of fans miss, and adding that back in given the complexity of the sprites and the sheer number of equippables for every character just isn't something that's feasible right now. We understand some people are disappointed, but we're proud of the game as it is, and of the amazing work by Jet Kimchrea, who handled all the art for it. (Seriously. Look him up. If you're like me and you can't doodle a stick figure, you'll cry real tears.)

We know a lot of players have been talking about the game being difficult. That's the intention, but obviously there's a difference between a fun challenge and an unreasonable one. So while we did a lot of rebalancing during testing, we are still looking at ways we can keep improving that so people don't run smack into a wall after Zone 3. In the meantime, we did assemble a brief guide that functions as a sort of "how stuff works" rather than a specific walkthrough, and you can view it or ask for help with anything in particular in our forum here where players have been giving one another tips: http://armor.ag/sonnytips

Lastly but DEFINITELY not leastly, I want to thank you fine folk for your support, and ALL your feedback, positive or otherwise. Listening to feedback is important for anyone, but doubly for companies who specialize in making games for people to play and (hopefully!) enjoy, and we ARE listening and talking about what you say, even if sometimes it stings. To everyone who has picked up the game and given us a review... thank you SO much! While I am just a lowly wordsmith, Sonny represents years of hard work and dedication by Krin and his team, and I am so thrilled to see people playing it and enjoying it. Your support and enthusiasm is what keeps indie companies like ours and creators like Krin going, and we thank you for playing our game and letting us entertain you.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any particular questions you need answered or feedback you'd like me to pass along.

14. walmartpolice

May 12, 2012
    Thanks for the response!
    And thanks for making me feel a little bit better about Zone 3 being an absolute brick wall to at least some people out there.

15. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    #55 nkx, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    What's helped me is buying the strongest items and upgrading them as I grind. I'm done 5 final boss but she is tough! The game is not easy but is a lot of fun

16. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    So I changed my party around changed my skills against the final boss where I maxed the healing after every hit and when she berserker my character I healing full power on my hit!

Already in zone 6 now I have lightning and fire strains.

Devs great job really enjoying this one! I'm not finding it as hard as people are saying it tough but do able

17. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    The only thing I find challenging I still prefer to use the physical strain over the others. I tried mixing up the builds I found that difficult. Maybe it would be beneficial if each level you got two skill points.

18. jamaicanjerk

jamaicanjerk Member

Oct 23, 2013
    I can't believe it's here! I spent hours on Sonny 1 and 2 on my "netbook" haha! I just went past the tutorial but love the art style already. I also appreciate keeping the music, I mean yes I am nostalgic but the old music really fit Sonny's lore about confusing identity issues and factions that you thought were good but actually bad. Appreciate the update as a fan of the series. Go anchor games!

19. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I'm kinda holding off to see if they do any balance tweaks before diving back into this one.

20. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    #60 Mince0, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Just deleted this game ithe difficulty goes from challenging to repetitive with little option to view enemy info to help form a plan/strategy.

If this get a balance update I would redownload (iCloud would be a nice addition)

I think the difficulty needs improving and the way the skill and equipment work need adjustments. For example skills open up quick but with little skill points and a lack of enemy information to view (like a index of discover enemies) so you must learn enemy attack and patterns and use that knowledge for skills.