iPad Sonic the Hedgehog Q...

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sjleworthy, Dec 29, 2008.

1. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    sorry if this has been thrashed out before, but i'm fairly new here :)

Sonic the Hedgehog. It's been billed for the iphone this last year and peeps always talk about it, but what are the odds, or latest news does anyone know?
    I'd just love this for my Touch. My fav ever game :)

2. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    You have any sources about it being "billed"?

Personally, I don't know what to expect. On one hand, it came out for the iPod click wheels and SEGA has released another game besides SMB, not to mention a MS/MD port

On the other hand, the click wheel version was poorly received due to its controls, and SEGA may be hesitant to release Sonic for a platform with no buttons. Not to mention SEGA has been relatively inactive as an app store dev, and they may be focusing on other projects (such as Sega Vision)

So will it come out? I'd say it will eventually, and hopefully it will bring along other MS/MD ports to the iPhone :)

3. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    thanks.

my sources are just googled rumours. but only Sega knows the program.
    i think it would work fantastic - it's already touch compatible with the JB emulators, and the game 'nicky boom' (one of my favs at the mo) has 4 large arrows on the corner of the screen for movement which work really good. something along these lines i think would work.

4. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Well one good thing about the original Sonic, is you only needed the D-pad and one button, so if they go with touch, a variety of things could be done (such as using the whole screen as the one button)

5. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Had it on my old Palm, with Shinobi and some other ones... i think they could pull it off

6. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I still don't understand what Sega is doing.

They have more experience with the type of PowerVR GPUs used in iPhone than any other video game development company in the world. The NAOMI 1 and 2 arcade boards used PowerVR GPUs, as did their late lamented Dreamcast home console. And, hell, the GPU in iPhone is a "lite" version of the GPU that they use in their own Aurora arcade board hardware

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=732

So WTF is up with Sega?

They more than any dev should be on the ball with iGame development.

Personally, I'd like to see Sega's Yu Suzuki triumphantly return to game development by making a version of that Psy Phi touch screen fighting game he developed, but do it exclusively for the iGame platforms.