Universal Sonic the Hedgehog (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VIRAL, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    And THIS is why they will never put any actual work or worry about the quality of the games they put out. Chumps will buy it anyway, why bother?

For the record, I'm guilty of the same crime. I'd pay any amount of money for a port of Command and Conquer for the iPhone, so I see where you're coming from.

I just hope you understand as well as I do that this attitude doesn't do the gaming community any favors.

2. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    if this is indeed a sega coded emulator running a sonic 1 rom file its a bit much fer me too. a lot of companies have a legendary back catalogue they could use to their advantage and make a mint.

i guess with 3.0 we may see some interesting developments, certainly hoping anyways.

for now tho, gonna stick to running emulated games on the pc.

3. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Shinobi surely deserves a mention. Would love to play that again.

4. IzzyNobre

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    It is. People have bought the game on jailbroken devices and were able to extract the Sonic ROM and replace it with Sonic 2. Of course there's only one button so it isn't exactly playable but yeah, it's a rom.

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, i totally understand. I have my eyes focused on a functional road rash, no updates, nothing, i don't even care of the controls suck since I play the game using many different control setups across many controllers.

In the end its a me me me thing.

I don't expect them to ever release a great emulator platform, that would just be too damned easy.

6. SnowRabbit

SnowRabbit Member

Apr 27, 2009
    thefavorite game

of old days.. missed it so much

7. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

I wonder if SEGA even made the emulator themselves, or just used a freeware emu and had someone port it to iDevice. If you look at the game's credits, you'll see 1 person listed for the emulator, and then you'll see the original Sonic's credits.

8. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    No problem, haven't discovered a code in a game since Metal Gear on the NES! But I'm a little more proud of that one since it was like one of those 30 digit alphanumeric code systems, the old days were such a pain in the ass!

Well I don't know if I consider myself a "chump" for buying this game, but I see what you're saying. It's tough to justify supporting a dev when obviously not a lot of work was put into something. But 1 or 2 of us "hardcore" gamers NOT buying this game is probably not going to matter in the long run. The masses will buy this game no matter what, and Sega will make a ton of money off it I'm sure. But I'm not going to deprive myself of having it on my Touch just to "stick it to the man", so to speak. I mean this port is actually pretty good. Plus, I've got Sonic 1 original Genesis cart, the ROM on my Mac, Sonic Collection for Gamecube & Xbox, the one for XBLA, had it on my Palm Treo, on my PSP, on my DS, on my cell phone, proably a couple other places too. I've bought this frickin game like 20 times over. And $6 is kinda steep for it, but I just don't care. I'll proably buy every Sonic that comes out for anything. It's just the way I am I guess, and $6 isn't really that much money to me (currently, anyway). I've def spent more for games that sucked far worse.

Anyway, I wish they'd come out with a proper emulator and rom download service for when 3.0 comes out, but that's almost TOO good of an idea which means they probably won't do it. :(

9. IzzyNobre

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    I totally understand where you're coming from. I'll end up buying it too, because in the end of the day Sonic is a ****ing awesome game.

10. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Does anyone else think it's funny that people are rating Sonic bad because there is no spin dash? Duh, it's in the second game.

And there are kids who want an upgraded version of the first one. *Sigh*

11. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    That's pretty bad when you're not even sure what game you're playing :confused: What's worse is the people that leave glowing reviews for something and then leave a 1 star rating. Last I checked if you can successfully use an iPhone, you should at least be intelligent enough to leave a review properly on the app store. People just love to prove me wrong, though.

So this game has grown on me even more since I first got it. I do wish it had some more frills, like production art stuff or an optional enhanced graphic mode (I'm looking at you Wolf3D). Kinda like the XBLA version. But alas, it's just a straight port, which is still a great thing. Anyway, the thing that really astounds me about this game is the controls. I don't want to say they're flawless, cause they aren't, but they're the best I've seen so far in emulating a control pad. I thought they were a little overly sensitive at first, and I was having trouble stopping moving left or right when I wanted to. But I've found if you keep your thumb right in the center of the d-pad, and just barely roll your thumb in whatever direction you want to go, it can be just as responsive as a true d-pad. It's not perfect, and the lack of tactile feedback is sorely missed, but it does give me hope for more fast paced, precision jumping platformers. Previously I had thought a game like Sonic or Mario Bros would be entirely impossible, but this game gives me hope for the future.

And in case anybody missed it, there's a cheat code for a level select. Just hit up, down, left, right at the start menu and choose "new game". Very handy if you feel like just jumping in to whatever level you want. :D

12. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Really - you think the controls are great? :eek:

Have you played Sonic before on Megadrive or even a port on other consoles? The controls are in no way great - they are adequate at best.

Its not Sega's fault - its the touch screen's lag caused by the gesture/touch having to be recognized, processed and then animated in the game. This slight lag, when combined with the Sonic's speed can result in deaths or loss of rings. This is particularly annoying when trying to go for the chaos emeralds! :mad:

To give an example, in the Green Hill Zone levels you primarily go at fast speeds in 1 direction. Here the d-pad works fine, but the jump button doesn't always respond quick enough and I hit an enemy or obstacle, losing my rings, dying or even falling into the abyss! Then when I tried a slower level like Marble Zone, which is full of tight jumps between relatively small platforms...well, lets just say its not that much fun when you don't have complete control of Sonic.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sonic (I've played most entries in the series) and i'm sorry to say that this isn't a great execution of it. As I said in the preview thread and in this post, the controls let the game down!

13. lafuria

lafuria Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    My expectations were low, I have to say this is not as horrible as it could have been. It's very playable, it's clearly shovelware and Sega doesn't deserve money for it, but the truth is that the iPod just isn't meant for games like this, touchscreen control is almost impossible to pull off correctly for games like this. It's bad enough in Namco's arcade remakes, but at least for games like Galaga and Dig Dug the movement required is simple enough to be playable. Sonic is too fast paced to be controlled like this.

The emulation quality isn't great but it's better than I expected to be honest. Definitely not a port I reccomend, but compared to Sonic 1 for GBA, it's a step up as sad as that is.

14. cjb43

cjb43 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    It actually is Sega's fault for the lag. They built a half-assed emulator. If they gave it a little more time in the oven, there might not have been this problem.

15. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Re-read what I wrote, thoroughly this time, then comment.

Ports and/or updated versions =/= roms running on an emulator

16. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Someone posted that he could see the rom.bin inside and it could work if the ROM is swapped with another genesis ROMs, thus proofing it's actually an emulator.

17. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

yup this is correct. I put toe jam into the emulator, however I need to modify the program to add extra buttons in order to play it. but it does work. it's nothing more than an emulator and rom.

18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Well, if you had bothered reading the page immediately before this page, then you would see that yes, I've owned Sonic on pretty much every major platform that you can have it on. I've played and beaten all the 16 bit Sonics, the Game Gear Sonics, and Sonic CD on my Gamecube collection. And I've played and beaten some of the more rubbish Sonics as well. I'm very familiar with Sonic! :p Also, nowhere in my post do I say that the controls are "great". In fact, your description of them being "adequate" I would tend to agree with. My point was just that the controls are loads better than I thought they were going to be, and I had pretty low expectations for controls in a fast paced side scroller on a touch screen. They are clearly not perfect, but with a little adjustment of your normal play style, you can actually make them be more than functional. I know what you mean about making pinpoint jumps at high speeds, and save for a few cheap deaths, I can do pretty much all that in this port. I don't experience the jump button not working for me though, it's quite responsive IMO.

I guess the best way to explain what I'm saying is that I would have suspected this game to be pretty much unplayable with touch screen, but it's far from that. It's quite playable and I'm satisfied with it. In fact, I've been having a blast playing this game and that's more than I can say for a ton of games I've bought on iPod. I still think $6 is high, it's should be more along the lines of $3. Especially if they're going to be releasing more Genesis titles. But I was willing to pay the $6 and I'm not unhappy. I think if you're put off by that game you owe it to yourself to at least give it a decent go. Try to adjust to how the controls are, instead of angering yourself trying to make them what they could be.

19. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    But the rom has been modified. Otherwise, yes, it is essentially just an emulator and a rom.

20. jaikben

jaikben Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    its a emulator, even worse it seems they used gens ( famous pc emu ) as base code. Strange that they couldn't make something themselves. well hopefully they will bring out a newer version with more buttons, I really hate zoddtd genesis4iphone as it is far slower and no opengl