Universal Sonic the Hedgehog (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VIRAL, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    They owe Sonic, and they owe Sonic's fans.

That's what everyone has been wishing for a while now, for Sega and Namco to release an emulator app with DLC roms. But that's just a wishful thinking. I wouldn't be too optimistic.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

No no, I'm saying you buy Genesis.app for a couple bucks then within the app thanks to the magic of 3.0 and microtransactions you could buy all kinds of other games. Say $1 for the emulator app then $5 for each .rom. Something like this could turn out to be a massive cash cow for Sega and make a lot of gamers very happy. (Well, except for price whiners I guess.)

Even more so if this post is true and it's as simple as replacing the .rom file.

3. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Yeah, I just got what you were getting at Hodapp.

The issue, however, is if Apple would allow for such a thing.

I mean...each .rom would have to be purchased within the app, right?

That would skirt around Apple's cut (as it would be handled in the app but not in the App Store), and I don't think Apple would go for something like that. Micro transactions? Sure. Updates? No problem. But whole games? I mean...if I were Apple I'd be pretty miffed about missing out on my cut.

Unless the in app transactions track things for Apple...but I don't think they do.

4. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    #124 BATTLE BORN, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
    somehow I doubt apple will sit back and let people make money without them getting their cut.
    I think it's a very feasible idea, but sega will most likely release individual games.
    let's hope that it happens though. you'd be essentially buying the "console", then all your games could be managed in the one app, instead of pages and pages of separate apps.

I think it's a great idea. and you never know, we've seen things like sega TV in the past. maybe it'll happen. keep your fingers crossed.

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Ohhhh, I hope they release road rash or someone figures out how to replace the rom with road rash :)

6. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Sonic isn't real so it's not even worth discussing what they don't owe him, and no, they don't owe the fans anything. That entitlement you feel is a misconception.

I actually woke up in the middle of the night thinking I should try that. I can't figure out how to switch roms without unbundling the .ipa and I can't seem to re-bundle it if I do. Perhaps it is necessary to be jailbroken, in which case I think a Genesis emulator with all the buttons already exists.

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Everything I've read has lead me to believe all the microtransactions all work through your iTunes account which obviously means Apple has a hand in things. I think the whole deal would be a massive failure otherwise, it's not like Apps are going to implement their own payment systems that you enter your billing information in to.

If Apple serves as the payment gateway, you bet they'll take their cut. If it does work out that way I don't see why they'd have an issue with you selling whatever you want as long as you're actually selling a product and not ripping people off with some 99¢ per fart app.

8. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Man how come every time I forget to check in to TA because I'm sick, one of the games I'm was dying to buy come out?

9. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Ah, good thinking Hodapp. I guess you're right as that is the way it'd have to work.

Not a bad deal if they go that route. In app transactions for emulated versions of the games? Good idea.

If they do that, I'd be all for it.

Of course...they'd still have to give me some original content. Super Monkey Ball for iTouch/Phone is an original made for iTouch/Phone game (an IP that has games on other platforms, yeah, but the iTouch/Phone version is an original game). They could do the same for their other IPs. I mean...say what we will about something like Sonic Jump, but at least that's an original Sonic game made for older cell phones, and that game didn't stop Sega from having a port of Sonic 1 for cell phones. They can do both. They should, IMHO.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I just hope that they don't totally turn gamers upside down and shake their pockets out on ROMs. (Assuming the emulator actually works well) I'd much prefer something like $20 for the actual emulator, then $1 a pop for the ROMs. I have a sinking feeling they're going to charge $1 for the emulator and $5 for the ROMs... which is going to get expensive FAST and kind of just seems like taking advantage of the fans if all the work required on Sega's end is dumping the cartridges to .roms and listing them in whatever method they use to sell them.

Super-cheap ROMs would make for ridiculous impulse buy items. I promise Sega will make many times more money with cheap ROMs then pricing them high enough that you have to think about it. At 99¢, if I feel like playing Sonic Spinball I won't think about it any more than half a second before downloading it.

A game like Sonic Spinball at $5 when Wild West Pinball (and the others) are so awesome for so much cheaper? Ehhh...

11. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Im not worried about what theyll release later, right now i think they should just work on the framerate, to make it crystal clear. I mean, with their dev team, shouldnt be too hard. Its already pretty good, about as good as the genesis original actually.

But since everyone IS talking about later releases, then i would love to have all the worthy sonics! My mom would die, seeing as she spent hours on end playing that haha

12. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    so amped on this game. loved it in the 90s and im sure ill love it today...

13. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    #133 IzzyNobre, May 21, 2009
    Six dollars for a nearly 20 year old game. This is just ridiculous.

Do NOT get me wrong, I'm a big time oldschool gamer, I bought a PSP solely to mod and run emulators. The ONLY thing I play on my computer as emulators, and despite having all three next gen consoles hooked to my TV, I went out of my way to buy a computer so play SNES games on a 42" LCD display.

As far as my money is concerned, Sonic and Mario World beat Halo 3 and GTA4 any day of the week.

But six f*cking dollars for a clumsy port of Sonic? Come on. That's absurd.

14. Xgamer1224

Xgamer1224 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    it doesnt matter if the game is new or old. its about the gameplay.

15. 21duc29

21duc29 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Student
    Classics are worth the money :D

16. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    #136 IzzyNobre, May 21, 2009
    Of course it matters. Rehashing old content readily available for a high price? How does that make sense, when all they have to do is (clumsly) port the game without adding ANYTHING new to it?

It makes no sense. A game coded from scratch costs 2/3 bucks, a port of an existing game costs 6?

This of course not to mention the gameplay sucks because the port is terrible.

Re-read my post. I spent $180 on a PSP thinking ONLY about playing a handful of games I not only already own, but which are also old as ****. Super Mario World and Bomberman 4 run flawlessly on my modded PSP.

However, this port is crap and isn't worth half of what it's being priced at.

(And I'm not one to whine about prices, I actually have a full time job and I spend at least $50 bucks a month on the AppStore)

17. Xgamer1224

Xgamer1224 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    so are you saying that all ports are bad? cuz from the way it, you sound like all ports are not worth six bucks or more, despite how much fun they may be.

18. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    IMO, this is a rip-off. Sega has simply lost it. First the Sonic games on the consoles do nothing but suck, now they charge 5 dollars for a ROM that has slowdown? Please. This game should be .50 cents.

19. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with the issues that are present in this game. In the time it's taken them to release it, it's seems rediculous to have such issues.

SEGA, if you're reading (which you're probably not :(), release a free port of Streets Of Rage 2 and we'll call it quits :D

20. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

I think Sonic 2 will be amazing if it ever hits the iPhone