Universal Sonic the Hedgehog (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VIRAL, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redgaz26

redgaz26 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
    just bought it can't wait to try it out!!!!
    not a bad price considering some of the apps I've bought that where nowhere near worth the price

2. redgaz26

redgaz26 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
    just had a play, pretty good don't really like the smaller screen.

3. lorry9

lorry9 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    i just tried it,i really liked it.i wonder if sega going to bring more games.

4. peter2nvy

peter2nvy Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    been waiting for this one thanks :)

5. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Anyone know if this will grace the UK app store sometime soon, or is this another Scrabble situation?

6. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Sega, this is sad. All we get is a poor emulation of this classic.I´ve paid for the genesis,psp and ps2 version.Now again 6$ for a jerky bad emulation.
    You should have programmed a perfect adaption for iphone and some new levels and graphic enhancements.
    This version is not worth more than 99cents. A sad emulation needs hardly work to do.

7. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Yeah I'm going to sit on the fence for this one until the next patch (iPhone user, don't have a Touch). I'd rather drop the money on a game like Scrabble instead where they've utilised the iPhone's capabilities more...

I think they should release games like Alex Kidd etc and a whole bunch of other old-school games... but Sega, optimise the emulator first... please.

8. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    it runs best on my system (jerk almost unnoticeable) when you play it from a fresh cold re0boot of the device. but heck, you shouldn't need to do that every time you want to play it.

9. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    #109 K.D!, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
    Its already in the UK AppStore... I downloaded it this morning. The TA link is for the US version. Just type Sonic The Hedgehog into your iTunes search.

On a side note, does anyone else think the controls are a little sensitive? They seem to work ok for the most part but it makes the more intricate platforming sections a pain in the ass. Also, there doesn't seem to be a freeplay mode which is a little disappointing. I had this game on my old Sony Ericsson and you could select any level you had beaten in the main game to play in a freeplay mode which was great when you wanted to have a quick blast at a certain level. I've only briefly played the first two worlds so if anyone who has beaten the game can confirm whether a freeplay mode becomes availible then feel free to correct me.

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    For those noticing the framerate issues - is it better if you play in the original aspect ratio? I don't like the stretched view anyway. Not only is it stretched, but your fingers block parts of the game screen, so I'd want to play with the smaller, original aspect ratio anyway. So... if the framerate is good with that mode on a 1G iPod Touch, I'm there. Is it?

EDIT: it's curious that they didn't offer an in-between scaled, but not stretched view. I.e. same aspect ratio, but scaled up to fill the screen vertically (not horizontally).

11. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Thanks KD.
    Been playing a little. Can't say framerate is definitely an issue (I'm on an iPod Touch 1st gen) but I am finding the brown chequered earth graphics pretty uneasy on the eye, and they give an impression of slow framerate I guess, but I'm not sure.
    Is the music speeding up and slowing down for anyone else? Was that part of the original?

12. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

My question is how playable is this game vs. getting a free emulator and Sonic rom?

If the experience is about the same, then shame on Sega.

they want us to pay $6 per title, versus downloading an emulator and playing EVERY Genesis game there is all for free? Sega's emulator better be better!

This is such a lazy approach... making their own emulator and releasing games one-by-one for $5-6 each. People who aren't savy enough to jailbreak their device will pay each time, and Sega will make money, but I wish they would put more effort into it. Do an actual port, or at least include a bunch of "extra" material to justify the purchase.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Well sure, if you're going to pirate Genesis games why stop there?

14. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Oh, jeez...

Why can't they do BOTH?

Huh?

Ever think of that?

And, btw, "all the new Sonic games have been a waste of time"?

Two words:

Sonic Rush

15. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I remember playing Sonic on the GBA Advance SP I might get this cause I LOVE sonic :D

16. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Everyone is going ga-ga over a little friggin' crumb. A tasty crumb, yeah, but a crumb nonetheless.

This is sheer cowardly laziness on Sega's part.

Over a year after the opening of the App Store, after only two releases in that time before this one (Super Monkey Ball and Columns), and singing the praises of the App Store, they give us a port of a nearly two decade old game, and not even a port, really, but an emulated version that doesn't run all that well.

Wow. Yay.

Let's all pat Sega on the back for doing the least possible amount of work.

Goddamn it, Sega. WTF?! :mad:

What happened to the Sega of my youth? The Sega with balls? The Sega that practically flooded me with quality content, both new games and old, on a semi monthly basis, where all of their dev teams were firing on all cylinders.

What happened to that Sega?

Right about now the only Sega dev teams I trust are Amusement Vision and Creative Assembly. Every other team, even old reliably awesome AM2, are wayward. And now this? A emulated version of a game that we all new was coming. Where in the hell is the new content, Sega? Where in the hell are the rest of the emulated games since you're going that route?

Where in the hell are your balls?

WTF, Sega? Seriously...WTF?!

17. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    They don't owe you anything, spiff.

18. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    No, you're right.

They don't owe me a thing.

They owe it to themselves. ;)

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Who knows, they could be waiting for 3.0 so they can just release Genesis.app with a massive library of ROMs you can buy within the app itself. That would be pretty awesome.

20. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    You know that probably isn't going to happen if this one off emulated version sells well. Because, in such a case, why package a bunch of games together for less?

Besides which, y'know what would be more awesome?

The classics alongside new content. Sega is more than large enough to handle both. They have a bunch of dev studios, some of which haven't released games in a while, some that are focused primarily on portable gaming, and one that is focused primarily on gaming in the mobile market (Sega Mobile).

But what can I expect from a company that has juggled and merged and split and merged again all of their dev teams to the point of confusion and didn't even know if their genius, their Mozart, their Miyamoto, one Yu Suzuki, even worked for the company. I was hoping that with the end of the hardware run that the business side of that company would finally do as well as the creative side always did, that the creative side would lift the business side, which was always lacking, out of its funk...but, instead, the business side of the company has seemingly dragged down the creative side into mud. I still hold out hope for Sega. They were, and still can be, second to none in this industry.