Universal Sonic the Hedgehog (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VIRAL, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

i think this is a very logical explanation.

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    fwiw, it runs pretty well (smoohter) on a iPod Touch 2G as compared to an iPhone 3G. Not surprising.

arn

3. jchampl

figures, does the sound still suck on the 2g? I don't see it being better till it's resampled.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I've found you can play with sound on if you use the smaller screen size. Hit start during the game then tap change view or whatever. Runs respectably on the iPhone then, while not as good as the original, it's certainly playable.

5. jchampl

another good suggestion. still doesn't seem like something you should have to do for 6 bucks, but still good to know for people like me that have it and want to play it.

6. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I tried that. I didn't experience any slowdown, but it was dropping frames.

7. jchampl

yeah it still drops em like its hot. no sound still seems to be the best option. :(

8. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008

on an iPhone 3G

arn

9. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Maybe it's just semantics, but in no way do I think it's a minor detail to have to play a game without sound. The Sonic soundtrack is made of awesomesawse and the sound effects add a lot as well.

10. The Taxman

The Taxman Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Freelancer / Indie Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah, this isn't really a port per se. I had a peek at the app contents and it's basically a Mega Drive emulator, with some extra 'hooks' added in the code to make the touch menu come up when the title screen appears.

Since they took the emulation approach, getting a solid 60fps frame rate wasn't going to happen. Doing all the graphics and sound rendering in pure software taxes the processor too much, which would explain performance dips on the iPhone.

I'm a big 2D Sonic fan, so much so that I've made my own Sonic games:

http://nexus.hrook.net/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52TpFUNvNZA

I've been working on a cross platform 2D engine for a while now and this was one of my tests ;) Multiple layers of parallax, solid 60fps. Take that SEGA :p

[​IMG]

I'd love to put out a new iPhone Sonic game, but alas legally this will probably never see the light of day.

I'm working on a new iPhone game with my engine though, but I'll leave that for another day/topic

11. jchampl

much better gameplay then what I have but still not 100 percent

12. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    This going to be one of those game where I am going to pick up on sale. 6 bucks is a wee bit too much for me :( I spend like 90 bucks for all the genesis ones when they came out I think I will stick to them until like one is 2-3 bucks. Also it seems like people are saying it is laggy :(

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

14. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    The underwater levels in this game used to piss me off so much....but I loved every minute of it!

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    wow that's cool!! change the graphics, the gameplay a little bit, and you'll have a new game. Granted, not Sonic, but at least you can release it ;)

16. jchampl

wow, im drooling over the thought of having a sonic game with 60fps

17. stepp

stepp Member

Apr 16, 2009
    This is why Sega are where they are today IMO, very poor coding, i mean to not be able to get a megadrive game to run full speed is just sloppy.

Terrible port of a great game.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Anyone know how well the jailbreak emulators run in comparison?

19. The Taxman

The Taxman Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Freelancer / Indie Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    The jailbreak emulators have a similar kind of speed. It's to do with the nature of emulation. Emulators usually have to do stuff like graphics and sound in pure software instead of using the hardware chips included with the iPhone.

Add to this the fact that there's a bottleneck transferring graphics to the framebuffer via software on the iPhone and you can see why the framerate suffers. Sega should have used the code from the iPod classic version of Sonic 1. That was an actual port instead of emulation (and it ran at 60fps). I'm guessing they wanted to use emulation this time because they plan to bring out a series of classic games for easy money :p

20. jchampl

i had sonic 2 for the genesis emulator, and it ran just a little bit better than this one did. it never dropped frames, however the game would now and then get a little bogged down. I never played it for two long because of the horrid controls. it was much more playable than this one.