Universal Sonic the Hedgehog (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VIRAL, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

oh I posted in a thread when it was submitted, I got a an email with little tidbits on it. although no pricing details. I was thinking we wouldn't see it till early next week.

2. Mahaa93

Mahaa93 Well-Known Member

Hmm, well there are always differing views. I agree with you though that this game really needs some work. It's definitely not going to cut it for a 6 dollar game-looks like SEGA is selling it based on the name-without any care for what the public opinion is. Seems similar to Monkey Ball.

3. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    The music slows down and stutters on my first-gen phone and the framerate bogs down in graphically intensive situations (and, yes, I rebooted immediately after install). When those issues are addressed, it will be worth $6, because otherwise, it's freakin' old skool awesome.

The first portable I played this on was the Sega Nomad, which played regular Sega cartridges. Man, that thing was sweet and I still have it to this day. The iPhone version looks better, though, as there is no ghosting on the screen.

4. Korean

Korean Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    dam this came outta nowhere, but i gotta pass cuz im low on credit :(

5. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    OMG! OMG! I just got home. OMG! OMG!.. OMG! This is so awesome! I want part 2 now.

6. jchampl

yup :)

it took them a LONG time to fix SMB hopefully they will actually listen to us sooner, and fix this before I lose interest.

7. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'd have bought like a Sonic Classics (1-3) for 6 bucks, but I just don't see me paying it for this. I'm sure die-hards won't mind though.

8. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    I am very impressed with this port. The framerate is smooth, I'm not sure what problems other people are having. The graphics are fine as well, no worse than the original, not that I can see. The game controls are okay, but possibly need a little tuning to give you that full Sonic experience that I so crave. For now, this d-pad works well. I was put off a bit by the price, but its at most a few bucks more than the genesis copy would be, and your getting the advantage of Sonic on the go. That's fine.

I have purchased way too many games today, I'm gunna hafta go another week before I get any other games.

9. jchampl

hey jim, I wish there was a way to let you try out my copy, it's not "ideal" right now. It's not bad, but it's really makes your appreciate the smoothness in graphics and sound of other games. i'm not going to tell you to stay away but be warned the game has issues.

10. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    what do you mean FIX SMB? The controls were perfect. People just didnt want to take the time to learn them and adjust to them.

11. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Try it without sound. I havent experienced any slowdown at all on a 1g iphone, but I havent played with sound yet.

12. jchampl

while the controls were perfect, they badly needed calibration which took months to fix. i completed the game before it was fixed, however it was a pain to have to be in one single position to play the game. i'll try killing the sound, and see what happens. brb

13. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Thanks for the heads up champ. I am already syncing though. :p There was just no resisting this.

Oh, it just finished syncing and the name displayed on the iPhone is 'Sonic 1.' Foreshadowing?

14. Mahaa93

Mahaa93 Well-Known Member

Well based on past experience, controls aren't perfect if you need to take time adjusting to them. Just my 2 cents..

15. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Yeah, I noticed that too. The release is inevitable.

16. jchampl

holy crap rocket, with no sound, the thing runs just fine, turn the sound back on, and it runs like crap. thanks for the heads up. atleast it's playable this way.

and with smb, you have to admit, that game should have had calibration settings form the beginning. that was the major problem with it.

17. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Hmm... dowloaded this game and without sound it runs pretty smoothly. I haven't exactly tried it with sound yet but will maybe tomorrow. Will also post a full review once I get more time to play it.

18. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Yeah, I just turned my sound on (I wanted to hear those awesome sounds) And had some slowdown. Nothing major that makes it unplayable, but I think I'll play with sound off for now. Its usually off anyways because I game during school :D

19. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    I just played through the first level. Brilliant!

Controls work well for me, and it looks just like sonic, well it is.

The framerate is fine on my 3G, but it isn't as silky as it was on the console. Haven't tried without music yet.

My guess is that as it's only 2.4 mb, they obviously haven't recorded the music as MP3 (which iPhone can play in hardware I believe) so they must be running code to emulate the sound chip in the Megadrive... (Genesis for USA) no doubt what is causing the slow down.

20. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Good call, Rocket. I hope they fix that minor detail soon, but that trick will help heaps in the meantime.