Universal Sonic the Hedgehog (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VIRAL, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    WTF I did not expect this ...whats next ---Super Mario Bros on the ipotch?

2. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Nope. That's Nintendo, not Sega, buddy. Sad, I know...

3. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I kind of want to see Mean Bean Machine next. I loved that, even though it was a puyo pop clone.

4. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

very small ipa at 2.3 wow

5. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    [Link deleted due to duplication]

US$5.99 is way too steep.

6. damballah

damballah Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    How in the **** can framerate possibly be an issue on a frickin Genesis port?

No way I'm picking this up if that's the best they can do. I hate to be a nitpicker, but that is just slack, especially for 6 bucks.

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    It is my wish too. Well, Sega do have a history of price drop for the Super Monkey Ball -- but (!!!) this is from US$9.99 down to $5.99.

Have your fingers crossed.

8. Mahaa93

Mahaa93 Well-Known Member

#29 Mahaa93, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
    Ok so i just TOFTT and I have to say that for such a small file, it's very impressive. There is no issue with the framerate-movement is very smooth.

The graphics are somewhat fuzzy and could use some touch up.

The gameplay is pretty fun- it is similar to Sonic on the genesis. I'm not sure how many levels there are as I have just began to play this, but I assume there aren't too many.

Simple controls- Virtual analog stick and jump button.

After some more play, I've noticed the music is HORRIBLE. There is white noise in the background, and sometimes even skips.

Overall 7/10 for now.
    ~Played on iPhone 3G

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What device are you playing it on?

10. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Wow... what a quiet release. No news, no nothing. Just all of a sudden, Sonic appears out of nowhere. I would think SEGA would create SOME hype about this game but guess not. Is this a sign for more SEGA games to come?

11. Mahaa93

iPhone 3G

12. jchampl

any person that thinks this game doesn't have frame rate issues on a 3g iphone or 1g touch is crazy. (I can not test a 2g right now.) even listening to the music you can hear it skip or bog down now and then when the framerate drops. it comes close to know being enjoyable while playing. as an old school game fan, i'm not pleased one bit.

13. jchampl

we knew about this months ago.

14. Mahaa93

Have you even tried it yet?

15. jchampl

yeah I have, I was the first person to have it probably. I posted the link.

played the first two levels and a bonus level, and I think I'm done with it till it gets fixed.

16. Mahaa93

I agree that the sound sucks. It really does. I havent had any problems with frame rate though..

17. 21duc29

21duc29 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Student
    #38 21duc29, May 21, 2009
    Ok, just finished the Green Hill level. I've been waiting on this game...Six dollars seems a little high but this game is a classic. Classic games have a lot of value and hours of game play.

The controls are spot on and there are no problems what so ever.

Frame rate is good, not great but good.

Only problem, sound effects are a little off, or music is off..

Overall, good port from the original Genesis. Great for every gamer and even though the price is high this is actually worth it, long game play. Would like to see where when we finish a level (like Green Hill consists of three inner levels), we can play it again (free play).

18. jchampl

#39 jchampl, May 21, 2009
    i'm not trying to cut you down but maybe you don't notice that kind of thing because is apparent on my two 3gs and my 1g touch. also hody is reporting the same thing. instead of being smooth scrollling the thing jumps around, the framerate is most noticible when jumping or running fast.

imo a 5.99 game should not just have a "good" framerate. there are many more intensive games running MUCH MUCH smoother. Plus they have better sound then this game. It makes me wonder if they even tested this thing on anything besides a 2g touch if even that.

19. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    They were rumors. And you didn't know anything except that it was coming out. No release date, pricing details, gameplay, graphics, anything. No screenshots, nothing. I don't know about you, but I was totally caught off guard by this release.