Universal Sonic the Hedgehog (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VIRAL, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Of course is not emulated, they added spin dash mechanics and two new characters with different abilities. No way to do that if it was an emulated thing. :rolleyes:

2. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    FWIW there was some interesting stuff right here on TA leading up to the release of Sonic CD.

http://toucharcade.com/2009/07/29/christian-whitehead-on-sonic-cd-and-his-retro-engine/

Also the guy himself posts on this Sonic Retro forum as Taxman

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31061&st=45

3. asCaio

asCaio Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Anyone already unlocked knuckles?

4. Th3R3n3gad3

Th3R3n3gad3 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2012
    I've unlocked them all.

5. Pitch_Blak

Pitch_Blak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Canada
    Okay so, has anyone beaten the game as Knuckles? I just finished doing so, and in the credits when it gets to the Labyrinth Zone portion of the montage, Knuckles floats into spikes and dies, and a Game Over came up before being kicked back to the menu. If I try to reload the save, it just shows the beginning of the Final Zone with the death sound three times followed by another game over.

A very stupid glitch of you ask me...

6. cobbyco

cobbyco Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Yep. All of this.

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Sonic was before my time so I never played them. But I like games like League of Evil. How does this compare?
    Is there a lot of levels/content? Alternate paths? How are the touch controls? Why is it considered a classic (beside the historical reasons, is it the gameplay, level design)?

8. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Is this better than sonic cd?

9. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Anyone?

10. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    #250 Bloko, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
    Sonic is kinda the grandpa of speedrun platformers, so that's how it relates to League of Evil. Other than that, I can't see anything else they have in common.
    But yeah, there's a lot of levels and a lot of replay value — even more now that they added Tails and Knuckles as unlockable characters, as they have different abilities, but even with Sonic alone this game had me playing it a lot of times.

Sonic franchise is known for the multiple-paths based levels — it's pretty cool to find a fast route by the bottom or a hidden spring that takes you to a higher route, etc. The levels are pretty long and satisfying — that's the one thing I don't like about modern platformers like League of Evil and Super Meat Boy, their levels are way too short! Each place has 3 acts, being the 3rd acts the boss, awesome Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. :p

Touch controls work pretty good for me. It's just one button and an analogue stick, nothing else needed. And Sonic is considered a classic because it's just awesome. :p
    Seriously though, Sonic was a new concept for its time and it's still good to play today. Talk about fluidity. Sega ruined the franchise after the 3D era, but the old ones are just next to Mario in my book of all time top platformers.

They're both good.

11. Eidaven

Eidaven Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Does anyone know if the iCade Mobile works on this?

12. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
  13. cobbyco

cobbyco Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Yes, with Blutrol (requires a jailbroken iDevice). Otherwise no.

14. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2011
    What an amazing update! I hope they are going to remake other classics like this one. Still waiting for Wonderboy in Monsterland, one of my favorite games back then.

15. bigsid

bigsid Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    So to get the 7th chaos emerald/super sonic - do I need to enable it in the debug menu and then beat the game in 'no save mode'? Or can I go back and use one of the save slots? What about saved games that have already been started?

16. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    Sonic 1 seems ever so slightly blurry. The pixels are not as crisp and perfect as on Sonic 2. (I'm playing on ipad air.)

It's a little thing, but it really does bother me and I hope they can fix it.

17. Smurgendorf

Smurgendorf Active Member

Nov 29, 2012
    California
    Controller support yay!

18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA