Universal Sonic the Hedgehog (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VIRAL, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Thanks, man!

2. cobbyco

cobbyco Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Thanks for clarifying. I was hoping for something a bit more exciting.

3. cobbyco

Jul 2, 2009
    #223 cobbyco, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
    Extra secret:
    On Marble Zone act 1, go as far right as possible without going down, then get up the wall with either Sonic and Tails flying or Knuckles climbing up wall, and you'll find an invincibility box at the top.

4. Gorlovka

Gorlovka Member

Mar 19, 2012
    How does this look on the retina iPad?

5. cobbyco

Jul 2, 2009
    #225 cobbyco, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
    GUYS IT GETS SOOOO MUCH BETTER!

Do the same thing on act 3 and there's a WHOLE NEW SECTION CUSTOM MADE JUST FOR KNUCKLES!

You heard it first here on Touch Arcade!

6. cobbyco

Jul 2, 2009
    I'm putting all my finds in one thread:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=189151

7. I saw it in my updates at about 6-8PM last night, so it should definetly show up for you

8. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Oops, thank you guys, I was half asleep last nite and the mobile TA app link doesn't link to the international version, I got it straight from the iPad AppStore

Toot toot sonic warriors, and all that.
    Wow this is almost better than dusting off my old mega drive which I have somewhere, and I don't have to untangle millions of cords and wipe years of crusty dead skin off the control pads( sorry):)

9. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Wot?! He has spin dash?! Makes it better I guess :)

10. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Omg omg omg, you can get it to start with the European box art that we had here in New Zealand, sorry bout all the posts but sonic basically is the game that made me love gaming as an obsession rather than just a fun pass time, this has made my day

11. Pitch_Blak

Pitch_Blak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Canada
    Having a fantastic time with this; on Labyrinth Zone right now. I like the slightly remade, high quality music.

I have a question about the selectable box art; does this also change the actual game itself for whatever region? I believe there were some differences between the Japanese and US versions, but don't quote me on that.

12. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    This version is absolutely fantastic! Best thing to happen on AppStore in weeks. Too bad we can't nominate it for GOTW.

I've beaten this game countless times and now I'm curious to see how do Tails and Knuckles work here. Spin dash is a welcome bonus, since we also have the option to turn it off.

I wonder if they included Super Sonic as well. Did anyone get this far yet?

13. Pitch_Blak

Pitch_Blak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Canada
    I've beaten the game with Sonic with all Chaos Emeralds, but it doesn't look like it. Unless there's some hidden cheat.

14. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Just had a look inside ipa file, the sonic rom is encrypted in a .arm file, which requires disassembling but the only tools I can find run on Linux or Mac. So it's the original rom, whether its US, Jap or euro I have to dig around more to find out

15. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Nope it's not a rom, the sonic 1 file contains app data for achievements, etc. the good stuff is in data.rsdk and that can only be extracted with a tool used to unpack the same file type as sonic cd, but it hasn't been updated to support this file. Maybe they will eventually update rsdkunpacker for sonic 1.

16. KusanagiShiro

KusanagiShiro Active Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Student
    San Rafael, CA, USA
  17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Stupid good port! :) Brings Sonic 1 into the "modern age". Can't wait to see Sonic 2 get the same treatment.

Also, I would've easily paid for a new version, but this being an update is just insane.

18. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I never finished this game back in Genesis days. Always loved all the classics but I was just a bad gamer that easily gave up and almost never finished any game. I usually finish those games a decade later using emulator (and usually cheats like unlimited lives or save anywhere thingy).

I bought Sonic 1 for nostalgic reason and never really felt like finishing it without '1up cheat'. I prefer playing and trying to finish Sonic 4 episode 1 and 2.

This remake changed that though. It's just so good that I wanna really beat the game without any cheat and to try playing it with Tails and Knuckles

So in love with this game, definitely the best thing to happen to Appstore in the past couple of weeks :)

19. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Best app upgrade ever. :D

20. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Holy crap! Looking inside the files it's not emulated, it's completely rebuilt probably from segas original assets, no wonder it runs so fast. That is pretty interesting. Well now I know how it works I can actually play it, I never enjoy something unless I understand how it works. Roll on sonic and knuckles, I say.(in five years, by the looks of what's inside this, lotsa hard work) worth it though.