Universal Sonic the Hedgehog (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VIRAL, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pitch_Blak

Pitch_Blak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Canada
    How do you go about entering the level select cheat code? I know the cheat itself, I just need to know how exactly you enter it.

2. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I played this game a few years ago on an older console, and it was one of the worst games I've ever played. Given the fact that Zenonia is the same price and has tons more hype than this, it's got a ridiculous amount of competition unless it lowers the price significantly. With almost every single other platformer being at a cheaper price and some being free, I see no reason why this is $5.99; overpriced like Peggle just due to the fanbase and not because of quality. This doesn't apply to fans of this series I guess if they're looking for this type of platformer.

3. zero144

zero144 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    I had never played sonic before because it was before my time but I bought it and I love it. Zenonia is a much better game in terms of gameplay but sonic is a great classic to have. I also know that this is just your opinion but peggle is also a game I had never played and I love it. It's not at all luck and when you get to the later levels it's impossible to complete them with just luck. Peggle, sonic and Zenonia are all justifiable at their prices. Especially Zenonia!

4. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

ok, fair enough, you have played many Sonic games, so I take that back. After some more time with the game I think adequate probably isn't even fair in describing the controls...frustrating would be a better fit. ;)

Also, in your post you said and I quote "they're the best I've seen so far in emulating a control pad" which kinda implies they are at least good and playable. I just don't agree with this, I don't think it is very playable...I mean when I play Sonic 1 on my Megadrive, I can quite easily complete Green Hill Zone and Marble Zone with at least 8 lives and some chaos emeralds etc. And when I die or hit an obstruction and lose my rings I know it was my fault, not simply the poor controls. The same can't be said of this iPhone port.

I still do believe a Sonic game could be amazing on iPhone, just that it won't be a port or emulation. It would have to be a game designed and bulit around the limitations of touch screen and/or accelerometer controls. Sadly, I think all Sega's gonna do is port more of their megadrive Sonic games over without really doing anything more with the controls. :(

5. postalp

postalp Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    At the title screen, Up, Down, Left, Right, then you will hear a "Ding", then hold A while pressing start.

That's how it was for the original, BUT....doesn't work for this version cause whenever you touch the screen for any input it brings up that menu.

Sux I know, was looking forward to Starlight Zone and I keep fat-fingering myself to death before getting there the normal way.

6. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    @postal: Actually the cheat does work, once you touch the title screen and the menu pops up, just do up down left right and select a new game to go to the level select screen.

@nizy: Ok, agree to disagree moment ;) Yeah the controls could be MUCH better, but I think they're pretty good for what they are. You dont seem to like them one bit. But thats ok, different strokes. It's kind of like an added challenge to the game, though. If you can beat it with these controls you can be quite proud of yourself! :cool: Still, this game is loads of fun to me and thats why I'm liking it so much.

7. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Yes, I know. And that is my problem with this.

One year later and what does Sega give us?

Not a port of the game made to run as optimally as possible on iTouch/Phone hardware, not an upgraded version with iTouch/Phone specific graphics and sounds while maintaining the same level design and gameplay.

Nope.

A game ROM running on a Genesis emulator. I mean...c'mon. Seriously. They could've done more, and still can.

I'm holding out hope that Sega remembers that they are Sega. If they want to go the emulation route, fine...but at least give us one new game. I'd hate for Super Monkey Ball for iTouch/Phone to be the only iTouch/Phone original game they release.

8. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    When so many people click 'buy' instantly without hearing opinions, these quick ports/emu's will make them more profit than both their Sonic DS games combined. That's why they'll keep doing this and not developing a new title from scratch.

Maybe in the future when they've exhausted their back catalog and the iPod/iPhone model has changed to newer/better hardware.

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    1. Do yo guys think there will ever be an update for this? Say, to improve the framerate or to overall performance?

2. Do you think SEGA will ever release a MegaDrive or Sonic collection for iDevices like they did for PS2 and PSP?

The answers to these 2 questions will help me decide what I'll buy this weekend. Thanks :)

10. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Who can tell, and honestly that is the one thing that frustrates me about the app store. It seems common place to put out games that are lazily put together (Sonic) or that are unfinished. I have a certain amount of sympathy for smaller devs who feel that releasing games with less content (1 map in a TD for example) is ok, as they probably need to get some revenue in asap, so that they can justify continuing the good work, but with companies like Sega! I don't have one ounce of sympathy.

As for when...if Super Monkey Ball is anything to go by, maybe 2010?

11. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Not really, according to Appshopper, SEGA gave an update 1 month and 2 month after its release, so I'm just wondering if they would bother updating Sonic at all. Thing is, SMB is a real iPhone game, and quite a high profile one too (mainly because it was one of the first few big name games on AppStore, so it got all the spotlight). Sonic, on the other hand, is just a port of an old game.

12. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    Looks like I was being a tad unfair. However, I think with SMB, it seemed to me that Sega could have given what most people wanted i.e tilt calibration (not their 'tilt meter') a whole lot sooner. What harm would it have done to the game? None IMO. But it is still more frustrating to play than fun, and hence I deleted it a while ago now.
    I see where you are coming from, but although Sonic wasn't made for the iphone, they ported it, and they are reaping the financial rewards. Up-dates should be as important to any game, iPhone-centric or not.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that Sega feel the same way:)

13. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I think we're wishing for the same thing. Difference is, you're optimistic, I'm pessimistic, heheh.

14. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    I think I would describe myself as skeptically optimistic;)
    But yeah, I think we're both thinking the same thing:)

15. uaq

uaq Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    It's because this isn't every other platformer. This is Sonic, and for a lot of people the game they grew up playing. I would buy this in a second if I thought they were going to fix the major bugs. This game wasn't released to compete with any other game. I'm pretty sure it was released to be an instant sale to all the old school sonic fans.

16. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

redickulous statement. i think the peggle reviews make it pretty clear it's not overpriced, nor lacking on quality. if anything it's under priced considering all the other versions of the same game cost more.

17. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Wrong. It costs $4.99 on other platforms, eg. $5 on wiiware.

18. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    So anyone heard anything about sonic 2? I heard it was out but didnt work correctly...

19. The remastered update has launched on the App Store

FEATURES:
    -iPhone 5 support
    -New main menu (it's pretty)
    -Multiple save states
    -Play as Sonic, Tails and Knuckles
    -Japanese, US and EU boxart at menu (not sure if game is affected)
    -Time Attack mode
    -Re-mastered soundtrack
    -Game Center Achievements and Leaderboards
    -Great performance
    -No in-app purchases

Free update if you already own the game and just $2.99 if you haven't purchased it already

20. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Game Impressions

YAYYYYY!!! I was so excited to read your post, thanks for the heads up.

I downloaded it straight away and showed it off to my wife. She couldn't believe how excited and child-like I looked when I launched it.

If any of you guys played the original Sonic back in Genesis days, download it now and you'll know what I mean. It's gonna put a smile on your face.

Thank you so much Christian for putting so much love into this. I can finally feel the warmth of Genesis' Sonic again (there are a few great Sonic games on iOS but they're the new ones like Sonic CD, racing, dash or 4, not the original ones).

And thank you Sega for such generosity of giving it as a free update (they could've released it as a new remastered version and I would still buy that *sigh). Above all, thanks for hiring Christian, it shows you too still have some love for Sonic :)