Sonic for iPhone....coming soon?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by dannys95, May 6, 2009.

1. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The difference was less noticeable with the first Storybook game (Sonic and the Secret Rings) I'll admit but with Black Knight it's a little more noticeable.

And that difference is this:

You level up.

It's an action/RPG, really. The "action" part is not only combat but, yes, platforming, but honestly that's really no different than Super Paper Mario for Nintendo Wii (which has platformer based action gameplay, but is an RPG at heart). Sonic Storybook games, it seems, from now on will focus more on increasing Sonic's "levels" through combat and platforming than focusing strictly on platforming, as the Sonic platformer games proper do.

I remember people hating on Spinball because the art style was different (it was developed by Sega's American studio, STI, which sadly is no longer around), but I loved that game too. I'd kill to see another Sonic Spinball game.

Oh, and an on rail shooter starring Tails (flying his biplane) would be killer too. I loved that level in Sonic Adventure right before getting on Robotnik/Eggman's airship.

2. Korean

Korean Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    hm why isnt sega making this, arent the ones that started sonic anyway?

3. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Die-hard Sonic fans are the masochistic sort who'll buy any crap that SEGA shovels to their doorstep and then ask for more.

They don't know what a good Sonic is anymore because they've been force-fed so much poison that it's clouded their judgement.

That is the only reason I can think of why they continue to buy the garbage that SEGA puts out. Sega is not going to magically stop creating bad games if people just keep buying them, wowed by the pretty graphics and empty promises of a "change".

Vote with your wallet. That's the only thing companies understand.

4. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Which is exactly why im not getting this. Its just not good. Ill wait for the originals

5. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    You know what I would kill for?... an update of the original Sonic trilogy. Basically, Sega releases Sonic 1, then 2 and finally 3 but with the Sonic Rush visuals... you know, 2D levels but 3D character models. That way, the original Sonic gameplay remains but it has a fresh look to it (maybe even add some bonus' so it's not just a visual update).

6. Axl Lowe

Apr 8, 2009
    Also - if this is going to be Sonic Unleashed for the iDevices, then it IS going to be Sonic Freaking Unleashed for the iDevices, WITH the Werehog levels. Otherwise it's not Sonic Unleashed, so to all those hoping for a pure Sonic game - there's your warning.

7. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Idk how id like that look... i might not be picturing it right though. But im not really an advocate of change lol, so id be perfectly fine with the original look too.

8. Leulier

Leulier New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Editor of www.jmobil.fr
    I got confirmation by Gameloft, the deal is for classic mobile phones (ie java/brew/etc.) only.

9. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    One post... exactly how're you related to Gameloft?

And can't say I'm disappointed.

10. joni99

joni99 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    ok..

just port the original game from the genesis.....improve the gfx...add high score..

and you have a winner :)

11. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    The press announcement also only says "Europe, Middle East, Australia and New Zealand"

12. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco

+80

This is too true...

13. Underoath777

Underoath777 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    L-Dot, Ontario
  14. Swordplay

Swordplay Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Chicago
    This is great news! I like 2d sonic but hate 3d sonic game! I'm glad they're not rehashing the original game.

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    It exists, it's called Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush 2 on the DS and it's exactly as you said: 2D game with 3D Sonic (and a few other 3D elements). For me, it's the closest incarnation of old skool Sonic. It's fast or in spiffyone's word, requires fast reaction, or whatever you wanna call it.

16. Leulier

Leulier New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Editor of www.jmobil.fr
    I'm not, I just asked Gameloft nice PR :)

17. Axl Lowe

Apr 8, 2009
    I very much enjoyed the Sonic Rush games on DS.

It's astonishing that SEGA can produce little gems like Sonic Rush in 2.5D and then completely mess things in when they add another half dimension into the mix.

18. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Sonic Unleashed? We're still getting classic Sonic, aren't we?

19. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Yeah, I mentioned Sonic Rush in my post. I have them both but prefer the second one because it offers more replay value.

20. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Sorry, my bad, I somehow read you wrote Sonic Unleashed. Sonic Rush 1 & 2 are great :)