Universal Sonic Dash - (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    When you hit spikes or enemies, you dont die right away. You keep running, but your "held" rings drop to zero.

At the end of each island, on each lane is a spring board. Each spring board has an icon on top of it.

The most common icon is the bank. Jump off that spring and you'll secure all rings you are currently holding.

The other icons over the springs result to a mini game where you swipe in accordance to the directions you are given, while Sonic poses to each of your correct swipes. I have perfected each one so far so im not sure what happens if you fail. At the end of the mini game, depending on the icon on the spring, you get a bonus amount of rings. THESE RINGS INCLUDING THE ONES YOU HAVE ACQUIRED FROM THE PREVIOUS ISLAND ARE NOT BANKED YET AND YOU ARE ALMOST GUARANTEED TO LOSE THEM ALL ON THE NEXT ISLAND WITH CHEAP TRAPS.

That, is my problem with grinding.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Thanks BZ and EP. Yeah, the more you think about it, the more the traditional ring-collecting aspect of Sonic seems out of place in an endless runner. :/

That said, I'm stupid. I love Sonic. I know that 50 mins from now, despite all of this, I'll just be like "Oh to hell with it, it's Sonic! :3" and buy the damn game. >_>

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    For true sonic fans that can dish a couple bucks this is a no-brainer. It really does feel Sonic in most ways. Just that it will test your patience in grinding and anticipating traps in front of you that are hidden til it's too late.

4. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I'm excited to get lost in this one. I had been running with TheEndApp, but that one is so buggy and not smooth enough, plus it got repetitive.

However, Sonic brings a certain nostalgia to it. I do wish there was also an endless 2D option that was available.

Also I hope future updates include past Sonic levels, especially that snowy level from Sonic IV and the fun electric city from Sonic II. We'll see if they can deliver attractive levels. That'll pretty much determine my patience with the heavy grinding needed to keep progressing.

5. LOOMfreek

LOOMfreek Member

Mar 6, 2013
    EXACTLY.

I wanted to give Sega my money right now, but I don't see it up on the store yet :(

6. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
  7. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I know I will regret it after reading the comments about grinding and cheap deaths but I have to buy it when it's available

8. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I was hoping for a 2D Rayman Jungle Run approach, but oh well, ita Sonic and looks good enough for me.

9. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    I was thinking the same thing.Not excited about this release.Not to sound like a hater but they will find a way to mess Sonic up,again.We'll see...

10. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    With all this talk of endless running Sonic, I remembered the Sonic 20th Anniversary app that used to be on the app store. So, I checked my purchased apps, and there it was! And I remembered right: there is a 2D endless runner on there. Its a stick-drawn Sonic, but 2D and endless, nonetheless. It's pretty fun, but just doesn't have the same feeling as a fully drawn Sonic game would. I just don't understand why SEGA wouldn't create a 2D runner in the vein of those endless runners like PunchQuest or like the well-sold Rayman Jungle Run AND a 3D runner like Temple Run. I would imagine they wouldn't have to draw the sprites from scratch, with all the assets from previous titles.

11. dexter77

dexter77 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    bought and deleted after 10 minutes...

fastest game experience on iOS...:eek:
    as PS says, only for Sonic hardcore fans!!

12. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    Dagnabbit. I have my heart set on this one. But impressions are making me reconsider. Especially after Sanuku's video showing how after each run you have to go through like five different pop up menus before seeing a restart button.

13. Hmm, looks really cool, wonder how it will play.

14. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    #54 Jerutix, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
    As one of the five people who actually loved Sonic Jump (I can't play Doodle Jump anymore because I got so used the Sonic Jump mechanics), I am super pumped about this game. I see a lot of similarities in the mission system and character unlocks. I played the Sonic Adventure games, so I'm actually pretty excited about the 3D stuff, especially since I won't have to worry about controlling direction.

And like many other said, a 2D Rayman Jungle Run style would have made a lot of sense. My first video game was Sonic 2, so I totally love 2D Sonic as well. Maybe that's in the future; it's not like SEGA is about to abandon Sonic!

15. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    That's the confliction I'm fighting as well, hehe!

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Sonic Adventure was decent though, it's all the crap that followed that gave 3D Sonic a bad name.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Awesome game. Just awesome. I honestly couldn't care less about about grinding, IAPs or whatever...the gameplay just feels so bloody right.

18. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I agree. Sonic Adventure is one of the few games that I've actually beaten. Maybe the only console game. My short attention span makes me love iOS and cheap games.

19. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    You've convinced me. Gonna line up to get my copy. :)

20. Everything 3D sonic between Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Colours was rubbish (except for possibly Sonic Heroes)

I can't actually think of this game without the Seaside Hill music coming into my head :)