Universal Sonic Dash - (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 6, 2013.

1. I've got the app now it's free

To be perfectly honest, I feel really sorry for the people who have already bought it. The folks behind this game knew we had to spend more money to unlock all of the charachters, and they still made it $2...just greed for you

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Aw, come on. You guys can't suck that much. After the update I can probably keep running forever, I only died after 585,000 points due to tiredness. I don't think there's a single instance of an obstacle you can't get past any more. In fact, there weren't any before the update, it just required fast reflexes and good timing. Running games are supposed to require those things!

3. madebymadison

madebymadison Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Artist
    Oh yes I can. :(

4. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    There are definitely obstacles that I can't get past. Before and after the update. I played lots of runners, EP even more.

5. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    You'll get better ;)

I'm not really hating on people for not being good, I'm just saying the complaints about impossible sections are untrue. I suck at Temple Run, but this is just plain easy... if I can do it, anyone can. Just learn the obstacle layouts and you'll be fine.

6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    The hardest one for me is the two rows of three mines, you've gotta land and jump again so damn fast... but it's still possible.

7. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I can't believe someone can suck at temple run, it's easy for me. But in sonic dash there are some sections where you can't see what's behind the wall for example.
    Anyway a few minutes ago I reached a score of 320.000 and my multiplier is at 7 so I'm happy with this for now.

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I think with most of those solid walls, if you're in the middle lane and spin down as soon as you jump it, you'll be safe. Occasionally there are obstacles in the side lanes but the middle is usually free. If there's an enemy there you should kill it.

9. slammajamma28

slammajamma28 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    How in the balls do I defeat a crabmeat using a spin dash from the air?

I feel like I've tried everything imaginable.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Actually, what makes this game different, is what breaks me most of the time in this game.

Sliding increases forward speed. My timing then gets destroyed. I rattle on the first few sequences of long sequences, and i mess up somewhere near the end of it.

It's not impossible, and MidianGTX is right about having to memorize/familiarize these sequences, but they are layed out cheaply, that you have fail those sequences a few times before you manage to do it. And despite me memorizing most of the sequences, i still mess up somewhere all the time. LOL.

All the other behind-the-back runner games were designed generally for quick reaction more than familiarization. Those games spoiled me too much i guess.

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    swipe down when exactly ABOVE them.

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Very true. To be honest, the memorization is what links it to classic 2D Sonic games, so I think it makes sense here. I used to get killed by the part with the wall you spin under, followed by the enemy in the middle and all the spikes behind him... never expected that enemy. Now I expect it all the time and it doesn't catch me out.

13. slammajamma28

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    Hmm, seems to have worked. Thanks!

14. Well, I had a little game time

Wow this game is horrendous

-Super massively extraoridinarily laggy (feels like 10-20 FPS at some points)
    -Dumbed down graphics
    -Tired gameplay (pretty much a re-skin of Temple Run 2 minus the rope swinging and mine carts)
    -Soundtrack which is an embarrassment to the Sonic franchise
    -Too much loading
    -Heavy bending towards in-app purchases
    -Buggy and crashes a lot

I do feel sorry for the people who bought this game. It is just really bad, and I would certainly expect more. People with newer devices might enjoy this game, but I probably wouldn't still enjoy it.

2/10

15. CecilMcW00t

CecilMcW00t Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Ouch... And you played it after the update? I can't imagine how bad it was for you before the update. I originally had it on both of my devices but it just looked bad on iPhone 4 so it stays exclusively on my iPad now.

16. I got the app when it went free today. The fact that this update says it improves the performance on iPod Touch 4th gen suggests that the game was worse beforehand. How slow would that have been?

17. slammajamma28

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    I've been playing for about an hour now... and I find my self hating this game more and more.

18. NotCoolBro

NotCoolBro Active Member

Mar 20, 2013
    #198 NotCoolBro, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    I actually lost Amy after the update.

I was excited to install the update and it was running fine after the first two playthroughs. I wanted to see if I could possibly bypass the challenge timers by setting the date and time settings a day ahead. This trick helped me bypass the obnoxious "Play Sonic Dash for 6 consecutive days" mission by less than 5 minutes as opposed to 6 days. When I tried to open the app back up my missions were reset, my red rings (I had four left after purchasing Amy) was reset to 1, and Amy was no longer unlocked. Oddly enough my power up upgrades were fine. Those were exactly as I left them.

It's incredibly upsetting given the time I put into this. I've tried closing and opening the app back up and resetting my date and time to automatic but no success. Even if there is a patch to fix this I highly doubt Amy will be restored. Hopefully the staff at Hardlight reads this and fixes the issue soon. I love Sonic Jump and the continued developer support and upgrades that game receives. As for now Sonic Dash will have to be put on hold.

Edit: Also just noticed player stats were reset as well.

19. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I'm quite enjoying the old vibe feel but I can see how this would get irritating for some people too. Feels very much like a freemium title but otherwise not a bad effort.

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I can't deny what you say, but a lot of that is because of your device. Play the game on a retina iPad and it's absolutely beautiful, with silky smooth frame rate. I don't really mind the soundtrack, a lot of Sonic games went somewhat crappy in the music department these past ten years, this doesn't seem any different to me.

More games need to punish cheaters :p