Sonic CD for iPhone and iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by The Taxman, Jul 28, 2009.

1. The Taxman

The Taxman Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Freelancer / Indie Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey guys, thanks for all the positive feedback :)

I experimented for a while, but in the end the best result was rendering a 360x240 image, then scaling it up to 480x320. This is different to the Mega Drive res of 320x224, since it's wide screen and scales really nicely with bilinear filtering.

I also tried native 480x320, but exposing that much of the level play field made sonic feel slower. I think you'll be more than happy with the results though!

2. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    As I have said elsewhere Taxman, you are amazing :)

If sega were to deny this that would be the last straw from me being a sega fan.

3. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Seeing as how amazing this looks and the very positive reaction, if sega were to release it, would you consider doing this to more recent games as well? For example, I would love sonic advance on my ipod touch.

4. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    This and Crazy Taxi!!! That's all I'm asking from them!! I'd rather have just this if that's all but Crazy Taxi would be great too. Please Sega Please!!!!

5. Markomcm

Markomcm Active Member

Mar 16, 2009
    please contact Chris Whitehead

for his built from the ground up Sonic CD project

6. Pitch_Blak

Pitch_Blak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Canada
    #26 Pitch_Blak, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
    Just saw on Sega's Twitter that they have the video link for this, as well as a list of requests for it, and will bring it up at the meeting.

http://twitter.com/sega

:eek:

7. Mario128

Mario128 New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    This is a must for iphone/itouch!

This port looks stunning and is a engen that SEGA must use in future iphone/itouch titles. This is one of the best Sonic's and the game runs much better then most of SEGA's games. This along with a hopefully port of Gamelofts Sonic Unleashed Mobile makes the itouch/iphone have 2 killer Sonic titles.

8. emitcollect

emitcollect Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    That sounds pretty optimal. Great work, man. Looking forward to seeing Sonic CD and other games come out using your engine!

9. deluxe

deluxe Active Member

Aug 13, 2008
    IT
    France
    I've never love Sonic but your RetroEngine is totally awesome...

Congratulations, I totally hope SEGA will use it for Sonic CD first, and then for other titles in the future (including Mickey Mouse - Castle of Illusion, souvenir).

10. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    It looks great, except for the bilinear filtering. I don't know why some people like their games to look blurry, but I don't.

I'd love to see an option for native resolution; leave it up to the users to decide whether they want it blurry, or want to see more of the level.

Anyways, aside from that, I've been following the work on this engine for a little while now, and I'm glad to see it has a chance of getting picked up by Sega! They'd be crazy not to; their emulated ports are garbage.

11. herr_sebbe

herr_sebbe Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Yes, yes and did I mention... wait for it... yes, we want this! :D

12. swigo8

swigo8 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Pocket God island (NYC)
    when does it come out!!!!!!?!??!?!?!? i want it:D!!!

13. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    Oh yeah. Go Tweet them for this.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

15. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009

Sonic is awesome, the only reason I didn't buy Sega's iPhone version is because it's such a crappy port. I'd buy this in an instant. Guess that answers the question ;).

16. conlan

conlan Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Mobile Developer
    California
    This looks fantastic. I will buy any Sonic port that SEGA comes out with RetroEngine. And how about an update for Streets of Rage with this while they're at it :D

17. endnte

endnte Member

Jul 29, 2009
    this was definitely enough to finally get me to register. This looks great, hopefully sega picks up on it. great job man

18. Pitch_Blak

Pitch_Blak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Canada
    Video has been removed? :confused:

19. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Oh no... I fear he got a cease and desist =[ Wtf SEGA? So much for asking for our opinions on new games. This is uncalled for.

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Sega asked him to remove the video... Not sure what else I should say right now. Hopefully Christian will have some good news to report soon. ;)

He hasn't gotten a cease & desist or anything, so don't get too worked up yet.