Universal Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (By SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iANiMeX, Jan 1, 2014.

1. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013

Bad quality graphics?

2. dribblejam

dribblejam Well-Known Member

May 11, 2012
    IBM Employee
    Damn. Hopefully someone else will come along. Thanks for taking your time to reply though.

3. dribblejam

May 11, 2012
    IBM Employee
    MUCH better than the first one obviously. I'd say in between Angry birds go and asphalt 8.

4. vii-Lucky

Jul 28, 2013
    Thanks!

I'll buy it now.

5. dribblejam

May 11, 2012
    IBM Employee
    If you're still worried about graphics. I just watched a video of some 3ds gameplay....let's just say we have better graphics than the 3ds. So we're in between the 3ds and the vita. A better comparison than asphalt and angry birds:p

6. vii-Lucky

Jul 28, 2013

Do you have an iPod 5th?

7. dribblejam

May 11, 2012
    IBM Employee
    Yes I do.

8. vii-Lucky

Jul 28, 2013
    Thanks.

I actually finished downloading it on the Computer, I'll just have to install it! :D

9. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I'm not sure if it's very well explained. Sure, he says you can unlock everything without paying, but I've heard that talk before and it's hardly indicative of much if the game is balanced to be heavy grind.

So the real question is: if they couldn't sell any IAP, would the game be balanced exactly like the $5 initial package or like what the $5 + $10 free races IAP offer?

I just want clarity on stuff like that. I want to play the game the way it's intended to be. I don't want to have to grind like mad neither have everything handled effortlessly to me like a cheat code.

10. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

The graphics are a bit blockier than the vita/console versions and that's a shame. But the gameplay is intact and you do get the ViP pack for free when you launch the game. That means that the multiplayer portion of the game is unlocked instantly and there's no need to grind.

It's easily the best kart racing game on iOS.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #171 metalcasket, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    It'd be right if I posted this in the Android sub-forum, but it's more likely to get noticed here: There's definitely a problem with the Android version. It launched perfectly fine the first time 'round, but any further attempts to open the game have only resulted in my Note 3 freezing and the game producing a black screen. The only way to kill the app is to open up something from the quick drop-down menu (or whatever that thing is called) and then kill it from the multitasking thing, because the game absolutely refuses to let the phone go back to the...ermmm...desktop (?).

Oh, and while the actual game actually ran fine, it looked like the edges of the screen were cut off.

I hope when these issues are fixed it's through a "delta" update and not a full download. :/

EDIT: It seems to be an issue with the game launching in portrait, or recovering from sleep in portrait. Absolutely kills the phone. I can't risk running again until these issues are fixed, because I've got an Otterbox on my phone and taking out the battery to turn my device off when it refuses to respond isn't an option. :/

12. vii-Lucky

Jul 28, 2013
    Is it me or the graphics is not quite uhhmm.. sharp?

13. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Nope, it's not just you. Not exactly blowing me away. :/

14. vii-Lucky

Jul 28, 2013
    #174 vii-Lucky, Jan 3, 2014
    What device do you have?

EDIT:

I also noticed that the first four character are free. No need to purchase them i can use them already.

15. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks very much for the video. I will not buy the game. I just like controls where you can touch left\right. keeping the finger constantly on the screen, is not my thing. after a while, the finger starts to sweat and the control dont work any more. In real racing 3 or asphalt 8 they did it perfectly. still dont understand, why some devs dont give us the option to choose.

16. niknice

niknice Active Member

Why must I play the world tour to unlock the GP courses? I just want to complete one GP and then move into the next? Also has anybody had any problems with the iCloud sync? My save from my iPhone 5 is not appearing on my iPad. I've pressed the sync option on both devices???

17. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    After you play through some of the World Tour, those characters can be unlocked for 3000 points. I wouldn't get any of the character packs unless they are IAP only, and not achievable through gameplay.

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #178 syntheticvoid, Jan 3, 2014
    **edit**

Sorry, deleted...

19. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Okay, cannot wait and buy it.

Graphics, as good as Angry Bird go, I would say.

Framerate: I can say it is almost 60 but this is why the polygon count suffers.

Track: ABG is rather dry but there is a lot of variations of the same track here which is great fun!

Action: the weapons are pretty much hard to predict and yes, you can shoot them forward or back, more useful than Mario Kart counterpart. No drift to win thing, as far as I can tell.

Apple TV support (unadvertised): only during race you have the controls (with a rather stupid dummy background I would say) on the device and all the actions are shown on TV and you see no control on it. The response suffers a bit on Apple TV but the frame rate is more or less retained.

Dislikes:

Control: 2 types: virtual joypad and tlit. No calibration. Worse, I find some time when I drift left, the kart drifts the other direction. Without any calibration, playing flying races are particularly hard.

No iCade support: No!!!

Pay to enter later races. Kinda dumb decision, but NBD here but the entry fee is not that that high. You get paid with rings even if you "lose". I am not very fond of the slot game so far I see no need to pay for rings and stars.

20. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Welcome to TA! Direct contact with developers is one of the nice perks of TA, and perhaps the iOS scene in general :)

Sounds like an eminently fair business model to me (the potential of absurd levels of grinding in such a system notwithstanding). And we actually get more game events and additional mechanics over the console versions in the form of upgradeable vehicles? Just the kind of thing to make us iOS users feel special, and not like the cast-off, second-class citizens the console tyrants of yore are so desperately trying to persuade us that we are. Must be that one foot in the grave vantage point that bestows upon them all that exclusive knowledge ;)

A shame so many launches are marred by the kind of myth-building and speculation that some self-education and a few playtests could quickly dispel.