Universal Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (By SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iANiMeX, Jan 1, 2014.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    So I ready it supports iOS7 controller, but how about iCade?

2. dribblejam

dribblejam Well-Known Member

May 11, 2012
    IBM Employee
    It looks like after you beat the first Grand Prix you unlock the upgrades to further your class rank.

3. miumius

miumius Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    #103 miumius, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    I'm sorry this is very very wrong. Especially with iOS this game is completely different. Despite all the stupid freemium aspects of the game, it's a much more complete, console experience.

For one the tracks are actually tracks. All-stars (iOS) had only a few tracks that come close to these track lengths and felt much more like 'mobile' tracks.

4. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    It's still the original. As I suspected this new one is worse...

5. miumius

Sep 25, 2011
    My biggest issue is unlocking the multiplayer. By requiring players pay or finish the world tour there will be a substantially lower amount of players online. Similarly Game Center has the drawbacks of a limited player count (these tracks need more) and the requirement that all four players must be searching for a game at a very close time frame.

6. miumius

Sep 25, 2011
    Aside from the freemium aspects how is this one worse?

7. dribblejam

May 11, 2012
    IBM Employee
    You don't need to beat world tour to unlock multiplayer. You just need to beat the first 8 challenges(the first section). It's more like a "get the hang of the game before multiplayer" than a "pay for it or suffer going through world tour to get it".

8. dribblejam

May 11, 2012
    IBM Employee
    There are literally no freemium aspects to this game. People are just making it seem that way. The iap are for people who no longer like the joy of unlocking things in games. The coins and stars come flowing in, granted you're not doing easy. The only way this'll feel freemium is if you truly suck at kart racers and waste all of your coins on the stupid slot thingy. Then the grinding will come.

9. grammatonfeather

Feb 7, 2013
    The iap is generally regarded as bad when you pay to buy the game in the first place but can only progress so far without paying more. I don't care what the game would cost on the original platform... The apple philosophy has been to make apps affordable and there will be companies that use devious methods to price something far higher than normal. If I pay £2.99 for this game I expect to be able to progress all the way through without being forced to buy more iap.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think we should really hear opinions from people who have played the game, lots of others seem to think its the worst freemium experience of all time (despite not playing it).

It sounds like its not a 'freemium' game, but there is an option to buy/unlock items to progress faster, in the 80's this would have been a cheat code to unlock everything, now for lazy people you can quickly buy your way to the top.

Think people are getting a bit OTT about this

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    What are the touch controls like ? I wasnt keen on the slider in the last Sonic racing game, whats it like in this one ?

12. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    Why does this game ask for my itunes password ever time i boot it up?

13. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The only game I was remotely interested in this week but with file size plus price and IAP I think I'll wait to see what happens instead. Looks good though so I'll be interested to see what people think.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I TINK I'LL WAIT FO DA KRISSMAS SAYUL~!

Oh wait...DAMNIT!

Seriously though...where the pooping poop is the poopin' Android version!?!

15. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    I already asked this question, but it seems, nobody wants to answer.

16. SumoSpartan

SumoSpartan Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Game Designer
    Sheffield
    Hi there folks,

As similar questions have been asked on a few of the Sega forums, I thought I'd pop in here and mention whats been said by S0L (Steve Lycett, Executive Producer) and myself (Tim Spencer, Lead Designer).

Here's what S0L posted to NeoGAF and other places:

We've also posted on the main SEGA forums, NeoGAF and SSMB about it. Links to those threads are here:

SEGA forums: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?501591-Sonic-Transformed-iOS-CONFIRMED-For-December/page4
    SSMB: http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/17101-sonic-transformed-ios-confirmed-for-december/?p=813293
    NeoGAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95578105&postcount=86

I'm sure TA will be reviewing it soon, in the mean time, PocketGamer have already done their review, and gave it 9/10:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Sonic+%26+All-Stars+Racing+Transformed/review.asp?c=56318

Regarding IAP's and a final summary from PG:

Hope this info helps and busts some of the myth's/theories doing the rounds at the moment.

Cheers, :)

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Hmmm doesnt sound too bad and yes i think some people are going OTT panicking its a 'freemium' title when its not. But call me old fashioned but the days of Mario Kart on the SNES seemed so nice and easy, no huge great essays explaining how to progress/cool down/coins etc !

But what about the controls, what are the on screen controls like ? Slider or touch screen buttons ? Surely someones played it to tell us ?

18. SumoSpartan

SumoSpartan Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Game Designer
    Sheffield
    There's touch (and tilt) screen controls for steering, drifting, weapons, stunts and All-Star moves. Steering doesn't use a slider as you have to have up/down when flying :)

The game also supports external controllers such as the iOS7 controllers.

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    SumoSpartan, first of all, welcome to TouchArcade and shedding some light on the situation. Hopefully this'll put most folks' minds at ease. :)

May I ask approximately how long it could take for the Android version to show up on the Play Store? I literally drained my battery from 66% to 14% checking every few minutes. :p

20. OutSpoken

OutSpoken Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    I just don't understand why some people want to inflate app game prices so much... Where are we going with this.. $15, 20, 30, 50?

I think its fair to say; at least for the immediate future, iAP are here to stay.. Apparently it generates more income for developers than outright one off fees.

Anyway not to move off topic... Looking at Sanuku's vid the game looks ok, I just need to test how it controls, as I thought driving the vehicles in the first one was a little too floaty.