Universal Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (By SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iANiMeX, Jan 1, 2014.

1. xxteargodxx

xxteargodxx Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Male
    NJ
    I see what I had to do to buy it since it wasn't coming up when I searched.

I went to a random Sega game scrolled down and clicked on Developer Apps and found it listed there.

2. epik5

epik5 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    BTW guys! IOS 7 is needed to get the game, if you dont find it on the search part its because since the game is already out you have to wait for a few hours for it to get noticed on the appstore, that way it will show on search, featured, charts, etc. In order to get this game you have to open the appstore link of the game that is shown on the toucharcade app or just go to a sega game, hit developer apps and you find it there

3. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    You can just click on the green price tag in the upper right of the thread. It takes you right to the game.

4. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Just had a go at the intro stage and have to say, I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. When the game first began, I immediately thought that I would need to tilt to steer. Wrong, default is a virtual analog stick that was actually usable.

As an owner of the Vita and Wii U version already, I have to say that the iOS version has the same feel as the other 2 who his good. It will be nice or have a version of the game with me at all times.

Not bad.

5. dribblejam

dribblejam Well-Known Member

May 11, 2012
    IBM Employee
    I feel like there's some type of filter on my iPod touch 5g. Like the colors aren't as bright as the screenshots!

6. xxteargodxx

xxteargodxx Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Male
    NJ
    Just played the intro stage as well, default steering is the virtual analog with a button for drifting, weapon attacks (tap to send it forward or swipe up, swipe down to send the weapon backwards), all star move button as well.

Tried to connect Facebook but that just crashes the app.

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #87 awp69, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    Too early to tell on grinding, but really liking this so far and if it holds up, I would go as far as to say it could be the best kart racer on iOS.

The first few "easy" races were indeed easy. Some things do rub me the wrong way as far as having a little freemium feel like trying to entice you to spin the wheels while loading ... And using your rings to do so.

Also, seriously, you have Sonic to start with then he's the most expensive character to buy?

The rings seem to come at a good clip so far though. Just little things like that are annoying.

Overall though, I've got to say I'm impressed so far and, from first impressions, it seems like it was worth the wait.

Also, is anyone else getting nagged to sign into the App Store when opening the game? I've been hitting cancel to make sure I'm not getting charged for something. But that's a strange bug.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Alright, who else here sucks at the drift events? I love how it says if you're having trouble try using the B.D. character. Then you go to use him and it says he's unlockable through the world tour?!?!

9. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    #89 worldcitizen1919, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    I bought this game a couple of years ago. So it's repackaged and renamed and I must buy it again?

I still don't think a rebranding and charging again is fair. It's basically the same game as before. Transformed enough to double dip previous purchasers? I very, very much doubt it. GREED.

SONIC & ALL STARS RACING

Race to the finish.... Take to the track by car,monitor truck, bike, plane and even a banana.

So what's all that new worth paying again? A very minor update becomes a new game. If you didn't buy the 1st one that's ok but for those who did you're paying twice for essentially the same game.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    This is MUCH different than Sonic All Stars. Way better in every conceivable way. And you race in boats and planes -- not just cars. So don't see where you can say it's just rebranding. Totally different game.

11. dribblejam

dribblejam Well-Known Member

May 11, 2012
    IBM Employee
    To the person who said the courses are trimmed. You are wrong! In some world tour events you won't use the whole course. But once you unlock the Grand Prix mode all courses are full length. You go through all three transformations on each track! Also, if your at least decent at these kind of games there is no grinding at all. Just do medium and keep paying the 400 coins. The vehicles are faster than they are on easy and it makes the game that much more fun.

This is easily the best kart racer on the AppStore.

12. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    In all stars you've got planes as well. If I hadn't already paid once I would be tempted.

13. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    I'm tempted but I already bought all stars before. There has to be a compelling reason for me to pay twice. Yet I'm willing if I can see its worth it.

14. idaveharris

idaveharris Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Anyone manage to play a multiplayer race yet? I just get auto-matching on Game Center screen. Maybe not enough players yet.

15. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Based on what I'm reading this is similar to the console version of this game. That means this will easily be the best kart racer on ios right now as long as the controls don't hold it back.

16. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I thought one needs a pass or FB connected to play, correct?

17. idaveharris

idaveharris Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2013
    That's what I thought, but I don't think so. There is a multiplayer option for random opponent races via Game Center.

18. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Syncing with iTunes won't touch your jailbreak, unless you choose to update, but 7.0.4 is latest and jail broken

19. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Do you consider each Mario Kart game the exact same as well? They take the general concept and improve upon it with each release.

20. ssahnan

ssahnan Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Pretty happy with the purchase so far, bought the iap unlock as well.

Like its been said, it's not visually on par with the vita version but later on, that may help maintain the frame rate on the more complex levels. The vita, frankly even the consoles and to some degree, PC, chugged at times. None of this means it's ugly, it's actually quite nice, just again, not on par with its big brother. Besides visuals, can't tell if characters are upgradable as they were in the full versions, doesn't seem like it so far. Not sure how the class structure works on the characters, I raced at e level on easy and medium yet was racing vs class d....

For me, the iap full unlock is a dream come true. A lot of people have been wishing for full unlock iap in games at premium prices on brutal freemium structures in the past and to have this is a godsend. I know the initial price not being free May rub some the wrong way but I'm fine with it. I may not get fully why you go this route, but I am okay with it. After your 15$ investment, you have a premium kart racing experience, there isn't anything close to the level of Polish here. Flaws? Sure but it's still more polished then anything out there for its genre by a country mile. For 15$ you'll get a game you can really enjoy and not have to grind. I guess if you want to see what free and grinding get you, there is angry birds go.