Universal Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (By SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iANiMeX, Jan 1, 2014.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Double post

2. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

All that stuff about that marketing/IAP crap is tiresome in the meantime. 85% of all postings on new freemium/premium games are about IAPs. Almost nobody talks about game elements.

Yes: It's all very important information and nobody should miss it! But I'd like to care more about gameplay and stuff and NOT about those endless shops and shops and shops… That's annoying and drifts me more and more away from video gaming altogether and I am not the only one.

It seems that there are some tA users with real game impressions. Two simple questions please:

• Is it that kindergarten-easy as I thought after watching parts of Sanuku's video?
    • Is there a LOCAL multiplayer mode inside?

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Devs should write clearly statements about their IAPs in the store text. It can't be the job of reviewers and customers to find out how they're working. There is even some more confusing stuff about IAPs esp. in small countries and there are MANY small countries in the world believe me. More small countries than large countries, naturally.

When I want to solve a puzzle, I'll buy a dedicated puzzle game. Those IAP puzzles are more than boring, dull, bland, bromidic, draggy, dreary, insipidly, prosy, stodgy and tedious. And so it must be programming them… :rolleyes:

3. The great Habakuk asks:

It seems that there are some tA users with real game impressions. Two simple questions please:
    Is it that kindergarten-easy as I thought after watching parts of Sanuku's video?
    Is there a LOCAL multiplayer mode inside?

Thanks in advance for any hints.

-------

1. The game isn't that easy. There are multiple difficulty levels, easy is easy, but the rest aren't. The hardest difficulty maybe pretty difficult due to this games somewhat freemium flair, but I got no clue cause I haven't gotten very far.

2. There is local mp.

I think this is a must have for racing fans. While I think I like Asphalt 8 and Ridge Racer Splitstream better for the sense of speed and intensity, this game has a great Ninendo Super Mario kart type feel. In fact, I like it better than super mario kart cause this is kinda halfway between a racer like Asphalt 8 and a kart type game.

Also it has flying races and water races which are quite fun.

Kind of wish it didn't have all the inapps and the freemium architecture, but even if it does go freemium, at least we got the $5 vip package, and hopefully Sega can do the right thing for early adopters and maybe add more of an early adopter bonus if it does drop or go freemium.

Anyway, this is definitely a must have, and it is easily the best kart racer on ios, and holds it's own to Asphalt 8 or Ridge Racer Splitstream.

Whether people get it now or wait for a drop, that is up to them. I see the concerns, but there is a great kart racer here, so I would very highly recommend everyone to try this game at some point.

4. Ok, I'm confused about something

Why haven't the mods put all of the iAP complaint posts into it's own thread in the general disccussion section of the forums? Don't they always do that?

5. #225 Connector, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    They usually only do that if it is overwhelming. I don't know if this thread would qualify, but maybe.

Anyway, got through the drift challenge awp after 5 tries, so that wasn't bad at all. But each game, Asphalt 8, Ridge Racer Splitstream, and this one sure have different drift styles.

6. Wow, the next level, the Samba town is just awesome. Some of the most unique and best animated sequences I have seen on ios for Nintendo like art. Really impressive. The following Japanese Shinobi themed level is really cool too.

But wow, that Samba town on ipad retina is really impressive. Wowzers, good work there Sega.

7. miumius

miumius Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    #227 miumius, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    Haha well the game is not easy. Anyone familiar with the console versions should know that.

Yes there is local mp

This is a surprisingly complete and decently accurate port of the greatest kart racer for consoles (- Mario Kart) making it the best kart racer for mobile. Amazing, long, and just plain insane tracks and pretty good graphics and excellent gameplay. Single-race mode is missing though.

8. dribblejam

dribblejam Well-Known Member

May 11, 2012
    IBM Employee
    Anyone else feel like being able to buy all star is cheating?:p And is it possible to unlock Ralph, Metal Sonic, Knuckles, and Shadow without iap?? All they say for those is unlock them early in the store.

9. Got through all the levels in the first world Sunshine Coast. Gotta say it was a blast, especially the flying parts, gives afterburner climax a run for its money. There's still 3 more worlds, but so far pretty easy to progress on easy mode.

Really fun, looks like one can unlock all the levels at least on easy, so fears of inapps is mostly dissapated. Don't know if one can pass the highest difficulties or get all the ships, but definitely worth the money even without further inapp purchases.

So have to very highly recommend this one. Really really fun game. If you like Asphalt 8, Ridge Racer Splitstream, or Super Mario Kart, you gotta get this.

10. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Can you guys spam the SEGA Email to enhance the graphics.
    :D

Everything about this game is perfect. But this ^

11. Sorry, too busy complaning about the iOS 7 requirement

12. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Let's help each other out!

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Drifting is dang hard. I agree, it runs down my iPad 3 battery just to beat it in easy.

Upgrade is only achievable after you finish the first World Tour and Grand Prix. Since the car class is graded, my educated guess MP is not pay-to-win.

The Samba town is flooded with tools and make the game super exciting (go to medium and you will find out)

14. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Does this have GC achievements and if so, how many?

15. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Yes! There are 50 GC achievements.

16. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Thanks. Looks like I have no excuse then :)

17. SumoSpartan

SumoSpartan Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Game Designer
    Sheffield
    Morning folks,

I'm guessing you've seen TA's SART review?

http://toucharcade.com/2014/01/03/sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-review-an-all-star-sequel/

Score: 4.5/5

As there's been a lot of myth/theory about how the IAPs are implemented in SART (and therefore confusion about it all too) on a few forums, its nice to see a review that goes through all of it to thoroughly explain it.

To answer a couple of quick questions...

Unlocks: Each time you finish a Tour, GP, or a full streak of daily/weekly challenges you'll get something either unlocked or made available to buy with in-game currency. Its usually a Character and a GP at the end of a tour, and a Tier of Upgrades at the end of a GP. Completing all the GPs also gets you a Character, and completing all the Wolrd Tour on Expert gets you an extra character. The popups to explain this aren't specific enough for my liking (or yours!) so I'm going to see what I can sort out about that next week.

Online Multiplayer Balancing: Online multiplayer is split in to 5 'leagues'. You unlock each one by winning matches, and each one has a set configuration. So, in the early leagues you'll see they run at the lower difficulties (read: speeds) and upgrades are disabled, in the later leagues things get faster, upgrades are allowed, and there's a broader range of game modes used (race/boost race/battle race). We disable purchasing of All-Star Moves in-race, and you can only unlock upgrades through playing the world tour to unlock GPs, and playing GPs to unlock upgrade tiers. When you upgrade a character it increases its rank, and we show the character ranks in game so everyone knows who's playing what char and at what rank.

Also, I'm not from SEGA (Publisher) I'm from Sumo Digital (the developer), though at times Sumo does feel like part of SEGA as we've been working with them for so long now. :)

18. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Thank you for your explanation.

Please keep on improving the graphics and control over time and please take a look at the control issue I have.

Again, please consider adding iCade support too.

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

I'm glad to see you acknowledge that the pop ups aren't specific enough (or at all IMO). With all my long convoluted posts, that is the main issue. Not the IAPs themselves but not knowing exactly how to unlock stuff, which could lead one frustrated enough to get an IAP.

The game itself is amazing and truly is the best kart racer on iOS. It may be blasphemy but I'm not even sure a Mario Kart on iOS could surpass this.

20. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

You're expecting too much from the iPod Touch 5. Why not complain to apple for not putting an A6 chip in it?