Sonic 4 - Price and Retina display Complaining Station

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jjjmedia, Oct 6, 2010.

1. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Question: Since this is episode one.. Are there going to be updates with the next episodes through in-app purchasing or will it be a separate app? I am really hoping for in-app or free updates rather than a separate application.

Can't wait for it to hit the app store :D But first, I need to get an iTunes card.

2. Surfheart

Surfheart Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Australia
    How's the framerate and controls? Anyone?

3. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Whilst the lack of retina display graphics is a pain (it looks very pixelated), the game really does fly on my 4g touch. Very smooth framerate. And the controls are great - Sega really nailed the dpad here.

The gameplay is awesome, just like the 16bit classics but with a few modern day twists. The homing attack is used well, incorporated into some great level design in splash hill zone. The special stages work great too - got me a chaos emerald on 1st try with 1 second remaining.

4. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Are you intentionally ignorant? Or do you lack basic reading comprehension skills?Who cares what it looks like if the gameplay sucks? Read and understand before commenting.

5. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

Wait...it doesn't have retina display? ZOMG INSTA BUY!

6. mikekatz24

mikekatz24 Active Member

Mar 25, 2009
    #106 mikekatz24, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    no retina display = VERY WEAK. in point of fact we're all ENTITLED to retina display at this point.

i highly doubt anyone in here would buy a camera app that took pictures at only 3mp when the iphone is capable of more.

i highly doubt anyone would buy a blue-ray movie that didn't display at blue-ray quality.

would you be happy to buy amazing car speakers and have a your mp3 or cd play at half the quality sound?

i highly doubt anyone would buy program for their laptop that displayed at only one tenth the colors the laptop is capable of.

i highly doubt anyone would buy many things that are dumbed down in some fashion.

its ridiculous to not make something the best it can be made and expect people to be happy about it. its just silly to argue for lower quality goods. anyone making that argument needs medication and a reality check. saying that people are pretentious or spoiled is unacceptable because they want something to be high quality.

sure 10 years ago we would've been happy with a text based dumbed down internet on our cell phones, but just because something was acceptable at one point doesn't make it acceptable today.

anyone with HD ever watch sports in non-HD these days? would you be happy to?

7. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Such an epic comment.

8. KevD30

KevD30 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Seems sonic can walk up walls, spooky must be because he is twice as tall now

9. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    I'm ignorant to idiots who continually ignore a very valid point to continue spouting their own pish. If you can't comprehend the technical point I made, then that's your issue.

Somewhat ironic telling me to read and comprehend.

10. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    ...signed completely. Feels strange, since I'm a big fan of the first Sonic games.

11. MarioKartMaster

MarioKartMaster Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Well, definitely not buying this since there's no retina display. Seriously, it's not THAT HARD to implement. Especially in a game of this price range, hi-res graphics should just be a given...

12. Derochea72

Derochea72 Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Floor installer
    Ma
    Well said, there are hundreds of other people here that need to read that post

13. dhgamer

dhgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    New York
    How big is the install?

Need to clear some room before it hits...Thanks

14. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    88mb according to the App Store.

15. Chevs

Chevs Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Your quest for and expectation of perfection at every turn will only lead you to a bitter, nasty existence. You see I tend to look at the big picture....

I could have upgraded to the new iphone but didn't because I don't feel the need to be a glorified beta tester.... Why do I say this?? Oh yeah.... Because there's ALWAYS some issue with a new product... Yeah, it sucks... But that's the way it is... How's that grip of death issue?? That free iphone case take care of everything??? Including the "3 drops and you're out" issue?? Thankfully they didn't charge you an arm and a leg for this model then drop the price 3 months later (have we all forgotten about that already?).

I also tend to keep my expectations of a new product based on the quality of previous products the company has offered me.... Everyone forget how bad the first two sonics were for the iphone?? Super Monkeyball?? Are you that surprised that this game has issues out of the gate??? Did you expect sonic perfection??

As said before..... Please just stop the complaining for one minute. You already have sunchips reverting to their old bags because the new ones are too noisy. When will it stop!!!

16. Surfheart

Surfheart Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Australia
    Ugh, well no retina support doesn't worry me but this should be a solid 60 fps on 4th gen devices. Sega keep dropping the ball it seems, but I will wait for some more impressions.

17. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    I don't even understand the point of your rant? Do you want some sunchips or something?

18. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    Yeah, lack of Retina is disappointing but not the end of the world. The bad thing is that, from my own knowledge, it seems the bigger companies who are actually more able to update with retina support, don't.
    Now with word of bad frame rate... *sigh* I really thought this was gonna be a good one. Been really anticipating it. And really, most of you should be able to admit that at this point all new games and apps should come out with Retina graphic support. Don't flame people who complain of it lacking it because it's just the same as anyone of you complaining if this came out and said it ONLY supported the iPhone 4. Think about that.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    For those whining about lack of retina support, the 360/PS3 version is over there. 1080p baby. Sega catered for you cry babies too y'know. Oh yeah. They didn't forget. Say thank you to the nice men.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    My iPhone 4 doesn't feel like a beta product, glorified or not -- in fact, it's the best consumer device I've ever owned. Grip of death? Wasn't an issue, even before I got my free case. "3 drops and you're out"? Never heard of it.

In any event, I do agree that expecting perfection off the bat is a quick route to disappointment.