Sonic 4 - Price and Retina display Complaining Station

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jjjmedia, Oct 6, 2010.

1. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    No, think about it.

It's not because I want it to "support my shiny new display".

It's because if the game has been coded at the 3GS's screen resolution, then naturally it's going to look blocky and more pixellated on iPhone 4 due to the higher resolution.

This is the case for any unoptimised apps running on the iPhone 4 which remain in iPhone 3G/3GS resolution.

It's common logic. That's my worry.

2. BlazeX444

BlazeX444 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    And the nerve of sega to have the iPhone trailer sport an iPhone 4...

3. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    You REALLY are missing the point entirely.

Game coded in lower resolution running on higher resolution display results in blocky or pixellated graphics.

You've went off on one already to myself and I've already quoted you. You told me to "Stop it", but you need to stop and look at things logically for a second and appreciate that while some people are moaning for the sake of moaning, some are recognising a potential technical flaw.

It's not rocket science.

4. spawn12345

spawn12345 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I dont know if you even have opened the app store but there are cheaper, bigger and better games there.
    So compared to other games that are already out this is overpriced for what it has and offers.
    Now if this would be Epic citadel quality then I would pay $10-20 but it isnt.

5. KevD30

KevD30 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    sonic 1 and 2 look fine to me on the retina display

6. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    No retina support? Seriously?

Very poor. It really should slowly be standard in every new game and especially in every new game coming from a big dev.

7. snowy2004

snowy2004 Member

Dec 24, 2008
    As far as I can tell, we're all ASSUMING there isn't Retina support because they don't mention it. Is there someone from New Zealand (or somewhere else where the game is live) who can confirm if it does or not?

8. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Could you take some screenshots on your iPhone 4 and upload them?

Would be much appreciated. ;)

9. CyberData4

CyberData4 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    But what I'm saying is that games like Epic Citadel are so few and far between precisely because of this "every game must be 99c" mentality.

Define "quality"? Do you simply mean graphics? Or length? It offers 4 Zones and each Zone has a few levels in it. So it's not as if there are 4 levels and that's it.Of course, it's not a 40 hour game, either.

But for 10 dollars, you'd be silly to expect that.... I think I'll get about 10 hours out of this game. To me, that's value. Of course if your idea of quality is flinging birds, then I guess there's an app for that. Personally, I welcome new titles and developers willing to put them on the iphone. I'm even willing to pay more than a dollar for it...

And there will be sales, and the value of iphone games depreciates WAY faster than ds/psp games. So if price is the ONLY barrier to entry, wait for a sale.

10. Pitch_Blak

Pitch_Blak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Canada
    Hmm...looks nice, but I doubt it'll run well on my "old" 2G.

I'll probably wait for the console release. $10 really isn't that bad.

11. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    I feel so embarrassed for people actually using the stupid phrase "retina display." It's just a higher resolution.

Sonic can blow this game out his ass. Are people not sick of this game yet? I could think of much better ways to spend $10 in the app store.

12. Ipadboy

Ipadboy Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Behind your mother
    If you mean iTouch, yes, it runs perfectly fine. No lag.

13. Ipadboy

Ipadboy Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Behind your mother
    If you dont think its retina display, just configure it using that retinasizer on this site/cydia repo. (Jailbroken Only).
    Plus, i think it is retina compatible anyways.

14. doone128

doone128 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Yuk

Personally, I just hate the way sonic looks these days. The original sprites from Sonic 1 were awesome, but the developers seem to be keen to make him look like a lanky, long armed pillock!

A bit like Rodney from Only Fools and Horses.....

15. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin

Besides not jailbreaking my device. Why should I do the work for Sega?

16. Musclegiant

Musclegiant Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2010
    It's all relative so by App Store standards yes the game is pricey. Do I personally think the game is pricey compared to other consoles? Well, of course not. The game looks to be very crisp and fun. Unfortunately with so many great releases soon coming out, in my opinion of higher quality and a lower price, Sonic may not seem like such an insta-buy (to some). However as someone says you are paying for the brand, and any Sega fanboy will jump on this. Side note, concerning Retina display, I think most people are accurate when assuming Sonic does not have it. Any company, especially a big one like Sega, has enough common sense to add that tidbit in their description as that is a HUGE selling point here lately. Just my opinion, but when compared to other high quality idevice games, this is a bit steep. Perhaps I will be wrong?

17. Risco

Risco Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Exactly, running games lower than the resolution of an LCD results in it looking blurry. Same happens on my laptop, and PC. I have spent a shed load of money on games for my iPhone over the years. I never have an issue with price, so long as they do not reach more than £5.99 as the content is not there to justify higher. However where I do have an issue is spending £5.99 on a game that does not support the full resolution of my iPhone and thus WILL looks blurry. Therefore I will not be purchasing this until they support it, Sega just lost a sale from me.

I bought GT Motor Racing Academy on my 3GS, but did not play properly until Gameloft updated it with retina support. Before it looked blurry and pixelated, now it just looks and plays stunning with crisp and vibrant colours. Sega have dropped the ball for this one.

18. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #78 tsharpfilm, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
    For the love of God, that looks HORRIBLE!

*VOMITS*

I think some of you may have forgotten what Sonic 3 looked like...

[​IMG]

Ahhhh! Where is the anti-aliasing?! *VOMITS MORE*

And maybe it wasn't technically possible for them to have Sonic hauling ass at his usual speeds at higher "retina display" resolutions? Have any of you considered that?

19. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I'm on the no retina, no sale bandwagon. Not even bothering with FAAD anymore as they're mainly not retina; couldn't give that stuff away ... let alone charge me $13.99 :eek:.

20. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

And I'm sure they'll cry all the way to the bank.