Sonic 4 - Price and Retina display Complaining Station

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jjjmedia, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Scrooge

Scrooge Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't mind the price. It is a new Sonic game after all.

But no retina support really bothers me and is making me reconsider whether I purchase this game.

2. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Why? Are games without retina display REALLY that bad? Did you mind them before retina display was even an option?

3. Looony

Looony Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Then they aren't over priced are they :confused:

4. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    No, he's saying that games without Retina Display support look worse on the iPhone 4 than they did on the 3.

5. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #45 tsharpfilm, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
    So, just because he has a device with retina display, any game that doesn't utilize retina display should be considered obsolete?

Again I ask, are games without retina display REALLY that bad? Did you mind them before retina display was even an option?

6. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    No. You are attacking a strawman and putting words in his mouth. He said, he's reconsidering whether he should purchase this game because it doesn't support the resolution of his device, and he doesn't think it will look good. That doesn't mean the game is "obsolete". It just means he's exercising his own personal right to decide what he does or doesn't buy for himself. And he's sharing his thoughts with the forum to contribute to the discussion. If that irritates you so much, that you feel you need to turn it into a referendum on which games are "obsolete", maybe you should chill a little.

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I am starting to think we just need to start over with a new thread.

8. BlazeX444

BlazeX444 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Agreed

9. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Only 4 zones?

I'll wait for a sale. Got more games than I have time already anyway.

10. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Here here - this is getting too out of hand.

11. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    All things aside. It's good to see Sonic back in all his 2D glory!

12. CyberData4

CyberData4 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    This is my main problem with the current state of gaming on iDevices. You see, I personally WANT my games to have a high production value and I don't mind actually paying a reasonable price for it.

I know the iphone 4 is capable of so much more in regards to gaming but it'd take a AAA company some serious effort to really make a high quality game. And with high quality comes....a high budget.

No studio in their right mind is gonna put in all that effort to sell their game for 2.99$

10 bucks is less than the price of a movie ticket. For far much more entertainment.

If you have hundreds of dollars for an idevice, you should reall stop moaning about a ten dollar game.

13. Scrooge

Scrooge Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    #53 Scrooge, Oct 6, 2010
    Wow. Didn't expect my comment to start such a debate.

Anyway, there are certain non-retina games that look OK on a retina display, but then there are games that look downright blurry. For some reason, it seems to be games like this one that don't look very good without retina support, so I am reconsidering my purchase of this one specific game and on this specific device (remember that it will available on other platforms a few days from now; getting it earlier and cheaper might not be worth it to me if it looks bad on a retina display). If impressions are positive and say that my worries are unfounded, then I'll buy it.

14. iDRevolution

iDRevolution Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Canada
    hey i know hot get a sonic 4 cheap
    buy sonic 2 change the logo from 2 to 4
    and play ^^ it will look the same eh

15. FK1983

FK1983 Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Web Design
    Bournemouth, UK
    #55 FK1983, Oct 6, 2010
    The frame rate is not good on my iphone 4, under 30fps, restarted the device and still the same (a lot slower than sonic 1 and 2 running on the emulator thing), can anyone else with an iphone 4 confirm?

16. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    I assume that bit of melodrama was for me?

Yeah, go read my post again - I said I have way more games than I have time for already. I'm not paying $10 for a 4 zone Sonic game. Not on iOS, or any platform.

You want the game, you pay the $10. And stop trying tell other people how to think. As for hundreds of dollars for an idevice - a lot of people pay the entry price BECAUSE the software is so damn cheap, and because iOS does much more than play games. If iOS game apps were priced like console games, I wouldn't be gaming on an idevice.

17. CyberData4

Jul 28, 2009
    One thing I've learned about iphone gaming is: Always wait a good while for reviews. I notice that typically the reaction for most new releases are "zomg, this is the best game ever!!!11111one!!11" and then you get it and are disappointed. So I tend to just sit back, unless it's a title you're really looking forward to. For me, I was 11 when I got Sonic on Genesis and loved it. Sonic 2 is still on of my favorite platformers. So I'll snag this one on faith. After reading a few "zomg, the best game ever" initial impressions...of course :)

18. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    I called the price for this a long time ago... on the upcoming thread to be precise and said it would be $10, and, I was so right. But I'll get it on my PS3 instead of my iPod Touch

19. CyberData4

Jul 28, 2009
    Not you. Each and everyone in general that pisses and moans about spending 10 bucks on a brand new game. They don't realize that alot of the reason why we don't see big budget titles on the device is because many companies don't wanna spend a year developing a game, and a million dollar budget to sell it for 99 cents. It's just easier and more profitable to make a game like Angry Birds.

Now, you say you're not spending 10 dollars on 4 Zones? Um, that's 2.50$ a Zone. Considering Sonic 2 had 11 Zones for 50 bucks back in the day, and this game is meant to support additional zones via DLC, I don't see the problem. But that's your choice.

And I'm not by any means telling you HOW to think. Just offering some insight into the long term effects for people griping about paying 2.99$, 4.99$, 9.99$ for games. It was the same song and dance when GTA came out and people were like ten bucks!!!? Too much?! Despite the game selling for 40 on the psp.

At the end of the day: You want to pay a cheap price, you tend to get cheap games. I'd rather spend a bit more and get a bit more. 10 dollars for this game is fair considering the effort they seem to have put in it.

20. oneWAYup7

oneWAYup7 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    In God's World
    No no for me

I recently upgraded to an iPod Touch 4th generation and to see a game of this caliber with no support for retina display is very disappointing. $9.99 is a premium price and to not have this option is like a slap in the face for the people with the latest generation hardware.

If you have older generation devices, no problem for you. Buy and enjoy the game. But i personally will put my purchase on hold until the imminent update.