Sonic 4 - Price and Retina display Complaining Station

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jjjmedia, Oct 6, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
  2. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    So just how bad is the frame rate on the iPhone 4 then? I've not seen a complaint about it on the App Store reviews thus far.

I do agree with people who are fed up with people moaning at the price. I remember when £4.99 got you a copy of 1942 for the Spectrum. The games you get on the App Store for the price are superb value. I had no hesitation paying £5.99 for Street Fighter 4, GTA Chinatown Wars, or Chaos Rings.

To the folk taking petty digs at the iPhone 4 owners, I find it amusing. Here in the UK, no signal issues on O2 regardless of "grip". Maybe I'm fortunate enough to live in a city with a strong signal and definitely fortunate to be on a network superior to AT&T.

Anyway, enough of that. Right now my finger is hovering over the "Buy" button, but I don't want something that feels like Sonic 1 did on my old iPhone 3G, ie: slow.

And while the game will look superb on the native resolution 3GS, I would still like to see non-edited iPhone 4 taken stills posted to see how good/bad it upscales to the higher resolution display.

3. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Just played Sonic 4 on a 4th gen iPod touch and the graphics look fine. There were a couple of stutters in performance (which probably would have been made worse if the game was made for retina display), but nothing bad enough to ruin the game.

4.5 out of 5.0 stars

4. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Lol $10 for the first installment? Gotta love SEGA. Oh wait, no I dont because they've gone to total crap over the last 10 years

5. FK1983

FK1983 Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Web Design
    Bournemouth, UK
    Unedited screenshots running from my iPhone 4 this morning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Looks good, Sonic and the enemy sprites look a bit pixellated, but that's to be expected with the upscale.

What's the frame rate like though?

7. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Not fussed on those screenshots.

8. Rhokk

Rhokk Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Ugh...

I'm holding my $10 until I see the retina support.

-stubborn-

9. Hackmodford

Hackmodford Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I have the 4th Gen iPod Touch and the framerate issue is very annoying. I can live without retina support (but would rejoice if it were available) but the framerate issue just makes the game less enjoyable. I feel cheated :(

But gameplay wise it's good ol' sonic :D

10. mojoman0

mojoman0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    wow if there are already stutters on 4th gen devices, adding retina display would destroy performance

11. Mirai

Mirai Active Member

Sep 13, 2010
    To be honest, it could just be poor optimisation and bugs to do with this. They must be able to bring out an update to rectify this.
    But this is a game i've been wanting for years. But im not gonna buy it on iOS first, i'm buying the xbox arcade version. It seems that the iOS version is the crappy leak from a few months ago and just thought they'd submit it. I'm goin to wait at least a month until it makes sense to be on my iPhone 4.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yeah something tells me 4th gen device support is just a bug or optimization issue as there's no other reason that the game would run slower on faster devices.