Universal Sometimes You Die (by Philipp Stollenmayer)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 26, 2014.

1. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Agree with others that's it's short, I finished in half an hour, (I think I'm finished anyway, I'm back at the initial menu screen with a white tag on it? I got stuck on a couple of levels and had to think about my approach, controls work great, music gets a bit repetitive, overall it's a nice experience but more content would be welcomed as I really enjoyed what I've played so far.

2. Jsami

Jsami Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    I just finished the first five or so levels and find it to be afun game. I'm not by any means a great gamer but if the game has 70 levels, I look forward to finishing it and hope for additional levels. I think the controlls are smooth and while the music gets repetitive, it so matches the repetiveness of some of the game play. Nonetheless I would highly recommend the game.

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    #23 mr_bez, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    I've made it past the bit where I was stuck now. That doesn't seem to be the end.

Hint:
    That's not a tag. It's an iDevice.

As far as I can tell, you've completed everything if:
    You have a pause button.

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I don't believe so.
    As "hinted" in the app description, I think the endgame is when you complete the game with 0 deaths. I haven't done that yet, but obviously it's impossible without the tilting and without the pause button (i.e. being able to restart your game freely), you'd have one hell of a time having to play through the entire game over and over and over and over each time you'd mess up.

5. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    hmmm I've got no pause button! I'm back at the initial screen I can go backwards to the how to overcome screen and it appears I need to go up as there is an arrow but there's is no way I can get up I've tried everything, if you get this part I'd love to know how you did it.

6. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    #26 cloudpuff, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    tilting? I've not tilted at all, have I missed something?

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Heh...bad choice of word. I mean flipping your iDevice upside down.

8. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Thank you, I know how to get past the but I'm stuck on now. I. Pleased I've not actually completed it.

9. kamibox

kamibox Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Thank you for your kind words!
    It is right that the main story of the game can be quite easy for experienced gamers. But it is only one of three parts of the game. I think it's no spoiler to tell that there is hidden content that is a lot more challenging.

By the way, it is sometimes compared to Pretentious Game; The developer of that game was one of the testers.

10. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Hadn't thought of that, metalcasket.

Just tried again after completing the first two parts and did fairly well, but don't think I'll manage that particular goal.

11. Jsami

Jsami Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Just remembering Pretentious game, it started out a bit trickier but, I haven't gone far enough yet to compare beyond that both games are well done.

12. Robin/P1XL

Robin/P1XL Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
  13. Jsami

Jsami Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    I'll have to give it a try. Your new game is good.

14. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    13 deaths! ARGH! So close!

16. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    179 followed by 24.

17. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    :)
    So far:
    It lacks the same satisfaction as something like Kid Tripp though, where you can go from hundreds of deaths in a runthrough to single figures (well, almost in my case) and feel like you're genuinely getting better at it.

18. kamibox

kamibox Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Featured in Best New Games on the App Store Homepage in USA and Canada!
    Very excited about the ranking tomorrow.

19. Robin/P1XL

Robin/P1XL Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    Thanks and congrats on your release!

Cool, though Dying To Live was originally made and released in mid-2012, and is the first example I know of this core game mechanic. But it was only 10 levels long, so it's great to see more elaborate explorations of the idea, and the addition of story and more polish.

20. kaplejon

kaplejon New Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Kamibox/Philipp,

Thank you very much for making this game. Also, curse you for making this game.

I've reviewed the app in the App Store, needless to say I gave the app 5 stars and said some favorable things.

I came here to Touch Arcade because I saw you (presumably the real you) posting in this thread. I thought that was cool.

And I came here to say: 4

That's my personal best. I ran a perfect game until the screen that threatens to hurt my eyes (epilepsy land). And then I just got stupid. I messed up my timing. I had never had issue with that stage previously. I guess I buckled under the pressure. And it was a crushing disappointment, because I was so very close. It ended up costing me 4 deaths to make it through that level.

Here's my boasting/crying on Twitter with the image proof.

And now, I'm just not sure if I have another perfect run in me. I need to rest, and relax before I try again. I need to shake the pressure which developed out of my failure.

mr_bez, metalcasket, I saw you posting some low numbers. Have you (or anyone else) managed the 0 death victory yet? I'm so incredibly curious to find out what happens!
    And that room. The map clearly shows a room past the "impossible" screen.

Well, happy gaming all. And to anyone who manages a perfect (truly) run, congratulations.