iPad Someone please explain HOW this Pool app is "3D"!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wastedyuthe, Nov 10, 2008.

1. There is yet another Pool game app available from today called Billiards , and I am really puzzled by it's description- see if you can spot the problem...

"Easy-to-play 3D computer simulation"

Picture from iTunes...
    [​IMG]

There are a few screenshots of actual game graphics, and they are all overhead views, just like this one. So how in Gods underpants can they say it's 3D?

2. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    #2 don_k, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
    The ball has some shading so it's 3D :p
    I think it's hard to tell from screenshot, maybe the balls are rendered in 3D like that one air hockey game (can't remember the name) which looks 2D but actually 3D.

3. #3 wastedyuthe, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
    Yeah but in this case calling it 3D just because of how the balls are rendered (if indeed that is the case) is a load of bo!!ox, isn't it? They shouldn't get away with it! I shall write to my MP!

[EDIT] On a side note Donkei, probably not worth quoting my post if that post is the only other bugger in the thread mate- I think we know which post you are referring to in that situation ;)

4. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    What? Are u blind, mate? Look at the "roundness" of the balls. Also, the depth and contrast of the pockets is beyond my understanding of Newtonian Physics...I'm guessing once u actually play the game it goes into a 3D view, u know, as u hit the ball and all, u might see it from a 1st person perspective and thus in 3D. U'd have to buy it to find out...

5. Haha! You do make me laugh, pal. :D

I very much doubt any of the game is in ACTUAL 3D. If so, why don't they have a screenshot showing that? You suggest buying it to find out- that's actually a serious point. What if someone bought this expecting it to actually be in 3D- first person views and all- they would be well within their rights to ask for their money back if these screenshots are anything to go by, in my opinion.

6. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Just take a look at the last screenshot. Look at the marvelous shading of the white ball, if that's not 3D then the acceleration due to gravity on earth is not 9.81 m/s^2...Oh well, i'm happy playing Adrenaline Pool, even if it's not 3D.

7. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    Looks like Virtual Pool is still the only actual 3d pool app worth playing - and now the price is only $3 (DAMN!). Makes me wonder why we have so many pool games and so far only one company making pinball games.

8. NJPodder

NJPodder Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    As the first of it's kind for the iPhone, launching this game turns the iPhone into the revolutionary gaming machine that we all know it is by floating by your feet, projecting a full scale holographic Pool table onto your floor, allowing you to not only see the action of pool as if it were real, but then using the holographically rendered pool cues, play against opponents right there in your living room. I have constructed an extremely accurate photo redndition of exactly how this plays out.

[​IMG]

9. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Yeah, that's pretty much what mine looks like.

I admire your professionalism in your rendering. Is that a CAD drawing?

10. WOW! That looks amazing! And I thought the 3D effects of Billiards looked good! When is your app available NJPodder? I'm gonna BUY BUY BUY!

11. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Sorry, that was an unintentional. I didn't realize it until now when viewing this thread again.

12. No need to apologize- just thought I'd mention it :)

13. Jumpan

Jumpan Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Well, it looks like an open GL simulation to me from the screenshots, even if the camera never switches views.

So in one sense, you are right to call foul on calling it "3D", since the gameplay is essentially 2D.

And in another sense, it really is a 3D simulation going on under the hood so-to-speak.

14. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    i dont think i will ever stop laughing about the hologram

15. NJPodder

NJPodder Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    This photo-quality artist's rendition of the mechanics behind "Billiards" was created using today's most technologically-advanced computer rendering software. Thank you for the compliments. If you like our review of the game, please allow me to shamelessly self-promote my own review site on this great forum. The web address for it is cleverly hidden in the letters of each sentence of this response. To find that web address, match the following characters from each sentence in the order below.

7116://