Some thought on word choice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by MrAlbum, Jul 26, 2012.

1. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Hello everyone, I am Mr. Album.

I recently made a comment on someone's blog post about an article that cited Randy Pitchford, the CEO of Gearbox, the guys who made Borderlands, saying that Pitchford was surprised no one tried to copy/clone/etc... Borderlands, even though it was a very successful title. Here is the blog post:

http://expositoryconundrum.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/article-review-borderlands-developer-surprised-no-ones-stolen-his-stolen-idea/

My comment has my name attached to it. If the wall'o'text is a little much, here's a TL; DR:

What words we use to express our opinion matter tremendously when it comes to other people's responses. This is because our first response is emotional, not intellectual. Thus, if we want people to understand our opinions as clearly as possible, then we need to think about what words we use and how we express our ideas, to make sure our points don't end up muddled by our anger/fear/rage/sadness/elation/joy/peace/contentedness.

So I ask the TouchArcade community:

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Sorry for the quick edit, my finger slipped and hit submit before I was ready :p

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I try to be diplomatic because I know my views are by no means the average and that gets me into real trouble from time to time in the real world but online if I think I'm saying something I'm not 100% sure of factually I would usually just tag on.

"as far as I know" or "in my opinion"

I kind of caught onto that watching Tony Blair when he was prime minister he was often obviously lying through his teeth but he got away with everything by saying "I believe" beforehand.

I can understand immediate emotional responses I'm sometimes guilty of them myself although I usually regret them even if I'm in the right.