Universal Solomon's Keep (by Raptisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Raptisoft

Raptisoft Well-Known Member

I'm going to see about putting an "are you sure" when I update it, you're not the only person having this problem.

2. Thorkon

Thorkon Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Also I'm replicating the game freezing by just letting it sit without touching it for a min or two. It's froze intermittently other times but not for any common reason while playing. I think the game file being reset should be only in the options imo.

3. antispin

antispin Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Editor, tech and gaming websites
    Hey, I see there are other complaints with games freezing. Came here to tell the same. At first it crashed twice at the "It was a stormy night", just before the rainfall sounds. Restarted the device, ran fine. Then crashed at the "get to know more about keys, solomon, etc." dialog box. Restarted the game, ran fine.

Another issue - the controls are a bit unreliable. He never quite faces where I want him to while firing. I'm on the 3G here.

4. renton

renton Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2008
    freelance design
    california
    i've had the game freeze too... also the controls are hard... ill press the fire button and push a direction, and the magic bolt fires the opposite direction..

the walking controls just make my thumb hurt as it feels like you have to really push hard to get going..

also, there really should be a more 'definitive' way of saying 'save character' and maybe a few slots for different characters you have got..

5. Raptisoft

Still trying to get a line on the freezing. I played the game through sixteen times yesterday with not a single freeze, lol. I wonder if you guys are doing some complicated little move or something that it would never occur to me to do (JAM ALL FINGERS ON THE SCREEN AND MOVE THEM IN A CIRCLE!).

I'll get it eventually. My main worry is that it's not happening because I'm trying to duplicate it attached to the debugger.

As for the facing, Sirius only has 18 rotations, so where he's looking will almost always be slightly off. But his firing direction is the full 360.

6. Raptisoft

#106 Raptisoft, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
    Try just tapping around the circle to fire. It doesn't work just like iDracula or others-- on those you have to slide, but in SK it will simply register where you touched around the circle, and move or fire accordingly. It's more like "pick a vector to fire in" than "slide the thumbstick."

It's set up to ignore a certain area around the center of the circle, that might be why you're not feeling the love there.

7. antispin

Jul 6, 2009
    Ooooh. I see. Will try the controls again with this in mind. As for what i was doing -- nothing close to what you thought :p The first two times it crashed to the home screen (note the game hadn't even started yet). The second time it froze on the dialog box, again, I did nothing except scroll the text up.

Hope this helps.

8. Raptisoft

A special note for those who are crashing:

Part of the problem seems to be that Solomon's Keep simply uses a lot of memory for sounds and graphics. This would gel with the people who are resetting their devices and getting better luck.

Another thing that is helping people is to free up some space on their iPhone. Now, I have no idea why this helps, unless the iPhone does a lot of caching to disk (I don't think that's it). I'm going to check up on this and see what I can do about it. But the game itself does not do any disk writing except when saving a game, so I don't fully understand why the startup crashes can be rectified by freeing up space UNLESS the OS is caching graphics or sound.

If you're having crashes, and freeing up space helps you, please let me know, as that could be why I am not able to duplicate these errors (my iPods are almost completely empty).

9. Aegis

Aegis Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    #109 Aegis, Apr 4, 2010
    Loving the game, playing with chain lightning build atm

my complaint game name below icon
    I Hate games with ......... Below them
    Solom....Keep
    ArGH

otherwise great game Im I'm for warrior archer etc

Buying rush and telekinesis skills help immensely

no freeze no crash, and I have tons o games
    I'm Not jailbroken which you should ask some of these memory issue people, back when I was I had problems with other games , JB is a memory hog
    I am on a 3GS however,
    I don't see all the complainers mentioning how old their devices are, perhaps a less graphic intense no shadow option for update for the older units/memory deficient

10. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    @Rapti tried it one more time after restarting and it now works again!(Did you get any beta testers before you released the game?)

11. antispin

Jul 6, 2009
    #111 antispin, Apr 4, 2010
    Crashed again. Just got the boss key and was whopping skelly ass when it just hung and stayed that way... restarted, tap Play game, crash to home screen. Isn't there someway we can send you crash logs or something?

In better news: I finally figured out how to play the game :D Awesome fun! One thing though; with the controls. I noticed that no matter which direction you are facing, your missiles always come out from one particular direction. You basically turn around to fire from that side. It makes for some harrowing escapes as you try to cover your rear, or create a gap on a particular side to get out of... Can you look into this? FYI: I have mostly upgraded my MMs...

Edit: Oh and the music reminds me of The Dark Knight OST for some reason. It's awesome! Probably the only game wherein I don't switch off the music after two mins

12. Raptisoft

Hm, can you explain a little further about this thing with the missiles only firing from one side? Like, the way it should work is, if you touch to the left of the firing circle, you will fire left, if you touch right, you will fire right... are you saying that regardless of where you touch, the missiles come from the same place?

Remember not to touch the circle's center-- just tap in the direction you want to fire. If you touch too near the center, it might think you're touching the other side of the circle just because of the inherent innacuracy of touchscreens. Let me know if this isn't working right.

I can get crash logs from Apple, but near as I can tell, the hang that's happening here isn't a crash, but an infinite loop of some kind that doesn't get interrupted until the game sends an "all finished" signal.

13. antispin

Jul 6, 2009
    Well, you were right. That was exactly what I was doing. Works as it should now. Hmmm. Maybe you need to add a bit of a tutorial?

It's a very fun game, btw.

14. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    So cam we expect an update soon?

15. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

dude, this just came out yesterday!

16. Raptisoft

Yes, but not a LOT of beta testers. I'm more used to PC development where you just declare an open beta. With iPhone, it's a lot more difficult, especially since whether your ad-hoc provisioned build will work or not seems to be subject to random chance. :)

17. Raptisoft

There will be an update the SECOND the lockup bug is found. I do hope to have one submitted to Apple before week's end... this problem is going to be fulltime work until it's fixed.

18. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    What does the lock up bug do?

19. antispin

Jul 6, 2009
    Just killed the first boss and cleared "that room". Wow. Anyone on the fence: grab this game! Sure it has some issues but the dev is looking into it and even with these issues, the game rocks. Very fun! So far, it's the game of the month for me (and I've got Zenonia 2 and MRPG 2).

It would be great if we could grind though (*hint hint*).

20. Raptisoft

The game will simply freeze in place. It does not crash, simply freezes (some kind of infinite loop). If you exit, it will correctly save your game so that you can come right back in, but still an insurmountable bug.

If I could duplicate it even once with the debugger activated, it would be trivial to fix it. The problem is that I never see it, so I think the issue is not purely a code problem, but some sort of "you're conflicting with such and such" problem.