Universal Solomon's Boneyard (by Raptisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Sep 8, 2010.

1. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    There definitely is a serious flaw in the difficulty curve. Lived 30 minutes with ice mage and got 2012 points which was good for 1100th place or so. However, the high is only 2600. Meaning everyone can get to about the same place but not much further -- skill doesnt really matter all that much.

Note that I got 2012 with only a life up upgrade, that I possess only average skill, and didnt get super lucky.

2. EmoneyT

EmoneyT Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Melbourne, FL
    #282 EmoneyT, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    Yeah its really about luck. How many skill bonus drops, starting or picking up rare/epic rings you get. I bet that guy with 2600 starting with some super rare rings (prolly 80% poison reduction) and got a good amount of skill bonus drops.

Oh and I agree with the price drop thing. It's not about the money, it's the feeling of "damn i just payed for this thing and if I would've waited 2 days, I would have it FO FREE" But this is the one game where I don't feel bad because the developer already is getting shafted on the money situation. On his forums, you see tons of posts of people saying they would have payed like 5 bones for this.

3. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    played some games and i agree, the difficulty curve steps up rapidly at some point, this is not an example of good gameplay balance. and there is absolutely no challenge before that point.

4. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    My biggest thing with the difficulty curve is a bit different.

Last night, I had a totally epic game going. I was using Morinth, with the +2, magic ring, and some other perk. I had Battle Mage 6, Channel Mana 5, magic shield, frost cone 5, chill wind 3, concentration, and a rare ring of cast 150% faster (found, not started with). I could destroy anything I could get near almost instantly, fast enough that the puny mages were no difficulty until a huge wave of shielded poison/fire/lightning brought me down.

And then when I get to my high score, feeling awesome about the game, it turns out it put me in second place (local). I was only level 13, where my highest had me at 17 and surviving for 30 minutes instead of 23, and only about 100 more kills. And it was back when I had like 1 perk.

I had just unlocked the +2 to stats and now I feel pretty much like the perks aren't really giving me as much as I'd hoped, at least not in game progression. I think the main difference between this build and that one was that I did a heck of a lot more damage, so progressed waves faster, and I must've had an exp ring in the other one, but I still wasn't near as powerful in the other one.

The perks are really cool, but they seem to have so little impact on the actual survivability of your character.

5. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Does +2 and +1 skills stack?

I am thinking probably +2, +1 and 2 rings is the way to go. I dont know how much this would really help, but it couldnt hurt.

If + skills dont stack, then I dont know...maybe creativity, to try and insure you get the shield spell as a choice.

6. whodawhanow

whodawhanow Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Both skills stack. The staple seems to be +2 skills and BM, and either 2 rings or extra secondary. I am partial to extra secondary myself.

If you get +2 or +3 skills with no BM, you are hurting for mana regen right off the bat.

whoda

7. whodawhanow

Sep 3, 2010
    Version 1.1/1.2 should fix this, according to John at his site. There was an issue with version 1 where even with magic shield up, poison/fire arrows and poison bolts would still hurt, which shouldn't happen. While some of this was fixed in 1.1, 1.2 should fix the rest. I am already lasting longer then before with 1.1

But just note, yer not the only one with a cap problem. Between 2000 and 2300 kills seems to be the "kill spot". Level and time don't matter as that fluxes based on luck of the draw.

whoda

8. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    1.1 did not fix it for me. honestly, there needs to be some kind of "defend against mage spells" skill other than life up.

9. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    I wonder if the dev got past that easily in testing? I remember back with Blue Attack when I (who holds spots #2 and #3) and the #1 worldwide scorers, the developers were like "we never ever thought anyone would get there." Is it intentional? Do we have official word? I mean in a survival shooter you're supposed to die at some point but it seems like that cap is rather a poor way, rather, with more skill and perks a higher place should be able to be reached...

10. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    are there check points in this game?

11. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    This is an endless/survival mode kind of game. There are no checkpoints.

12. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    The update did not fix the stated issues. Poison arrows still poison you while using Magic Shield. Once again, I died with my Magic Shield ON from poison. It is near instant death with the max hp ugrade. My shield never broke that wave and I died in a few seconds...

13. whodawhanow

Sep 3, 2010
    John did state that he found another issue, although he stated he was not getting the bug like we are.

He is apparently working on 1.2 now for this. I hope it comes soon. I have noticed that poison isn't quite as unbearable.

whoda

14. jwei44

jwei44 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    High School Graduating
    California
    I was playing then the words "Something hurtlocker" or something similar appeared after I collected gold. What is this?

15. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Its tied into one of the achievements. If you stand on a grave for about a second without moving or attacking, you 'honor' the dead. Flowers will pop up at the grave site and the person's name will appear.

16. benbenx

benbenx Active Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Recently got back into this game, and scored 1.6k.
    Seems ridiculous how I didn't get a chance to get magic shield even at that level.

17. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Yea I've rarely gotten the magic shield at that point as well. Its kind of frustrating too because you can only evade/collect orbs for so long, the shield is essential. So even if I'm having a great run and am happy with the upgrades I've gotten, I know that if I don't get that shield my time is very limited.

18. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #298 eev, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    game could be more fun if it had lower exp requirements for new levels and more vertical difficulty curve, now every game is just a grinding up to discussed above point. another problem are skills, if player chooses one of the characters then the should be possibility to pick up corresponding secondary skills early enough (like splash or cone). and like in the original game, skill buttons are not really sensitive.

19. Triptoph

Triptoph New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Difficulty Curve

I bought this originally for my iphone, played to the point where it's apparently impossible to get past, and then quit... Changing that difficulty curve would really help its reply value.

I also wish there was a way to use more perks at a time... Maybe some minor perks of which you can have 4, along with the 3 major perks (+1 +2, 2 rings, extra secondary...). The minor ones would be things like Telekinesis. I really like that spell but next to the other options its hard to find a reason to use it. Wish I could always have it on as well as the major ones....

20. whodawhanow

Sep 3, 2010
    We have talked to John about adding more perk slots for exorbitant gold costs, like 15k or 25k for a 4th and 50k or something for a 5th.

1.2 should fix alot of the cap difficultly, although not by much I don't think, but if he adds more perks and perk slots, it should make a difference too.

whoda