Universal Solipskier (by Mikengreg)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Aug 12, 2010.

1. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    #101 amroc, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
    I never have much interest in achievements.
    Maybe I'm just old.

[​IMG]

2. swinging udders

swinging udders Active Member

Jun 14, 2010
    My tips-

start by doing little "moguls", slightly roll your finger up and down, make sure you go through all the gates to get your speed and multiplier up.

if you think you'll miss do a jump or your multiplier and speed will drop fast... at the peak of your jump put your finger back on the screen to get solipskier to speed up in the air (i'm pretty sure this works).

important- when you land make sure your finger is in line with the next gate (this is kind of hard when going hyper fast), if you are going over 100kph I suggest you flick him in the air again, and keep doing it 'till you mess up and loose speed.

try to use tunnels even when going fast, fantastic for speed.

last night I achieved speeds of over 200kph and my highest score is over 170million, my longest jump is rank 3 as of last night... I couldn't get near that score before figuring out this tactic.

hope it helps skiiers! :cool:

3. Doffie

Doffie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Retired, now concentrating on good works and good
    Storrs, CT
    Good tips, thanks. I don't think I understand how jumps work, so perhaps you could give me some help with that, swinging udders. I am majorly impressed with your speed and score!

4. Gunblade1190

Gunblade1190 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    NJ
    Oh man, I wasn't going to buy this at first cause I've been buying way too many games lately on my ipod touch, but I watched the video and just had to. First time I played it, I died almost immediately. Second time, I got over 11 million!!! The next highest score I got was around 6 million. Guess I was a little lucky that one time hahaha. Great game though, I love it!

5. aeiowu

aeiowu Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Game Developer
    Chicago
    Howdy! :)

We're talking about it for an update. I'm not sure it'll be the next update, down the road sometime or anytime at all. But it's definitely something we're seriously considering.

If we do it, it'll be through OpenFeint's achievement system.

:)

6. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

This game takes basses to a whole new level. I made it up to 160 kph. It was intense! This is for sure my new favorite app.

7. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    So does this game support custom music playback?

8. StarCraftIsGreat

StarCraftIsGreat Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I bought this Friday as I was in line to see The Expendables, and played it while the previews were on. This game is sooooooo fun, the devs did an awesome job. :)

9. IceMonkey

IceMonkey Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Wow, are you me? I did the exact same thing, while waiting for the same movie. haha

10. LKR

LKR Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Earth
    Coolness! Great game — achievements would make it even greater. :D

11. Obscure

Obscure Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Australia
    I finally decided to buy this last night and I'm glad I did. It's a very very fun game, it's just AWESOME. It's exactly pretty much the same style as Canabalt except the price is actually justified. Sammysin was right the song that's played in the game does definitely sound like something Avenged Sevenfold would play and it's a great addition to the already fantastic gameplay. The game consists of drawing a path for your character to ski along and trying to make it so your character goes through the way gates and tunnels and avoids the various perils that are around. Ultimately I think it's worth the price and I really do like this game.

12. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    I bought it yesterday and it is great!!

For everyone who is on the fence because of the 3$... don't hesitate. You can buy it without any regrets!! ;)

13. THE_BOSS

THE_BOSS Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    england
    Is there a pause button in this game cause I can't find one!

14. swinging udders

swinging udders Active Member

Jun 14, 2010
    don't bother jumping when you are going slow unless there is a hazard coming... before I go on I must stress the importance of the markers, the distance displayed is a huge help... if you see a hazard you use the distance display on the markers to time your jump when you are going slow.

when you are going fast just jump as soon as you see a hazard approaching, you'll clear it easy.

basically, you want to keep your multiplier going... not only does it give you big scores but it actually affects your speed, make sure you hit all those gates, jumping over gates (you have to be out of the screen) will keep your multiplier going/rising... don't even worry about jumping when you're trying to build your speed and multiplier, concentrate on hitting the markers and avoiding hazards, soon you'll he warping at light speed then you can go for massive jumps as hitting markers becomes too difficult.

when jumping, watch the little solipskier marker display so you know when you'll land... also line your finger up with the coming gate markers, you will have to adjust your finger up and down as you overshoot gates, but you want solipskier to hit a gate before flicking him in the air again... if you miss a gate your multiplier will halve or even reset, along with your speed.

so to summarize- slow, go for gates... keep multiplier going, when speed is up and music stops start thinking about jumping, land ready to hit a gate and flick up in the air again.

sorry if that was confusing :)

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
  16. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Hahahaha! I'm not saying that there aren't other bands it sounds like, I'm just giving a ball park resemblance.

17. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Although Avenged Sevenfold certainly aren't rubbish (you haven't listened to their newest album, or especially Waking The Fallen) I agree, there is a massive difference.

18. Doffie

Doffie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Retired, now concentrating on good works and good
    Storrs, CT
    Grin, well yep it's a little confusing, but the main points summarized in the last sentence are clear enough and thanks for your help. I definitely need lots more practice since, when I'm whizzing along at high speeds, I find it difficult to pay attention to the markers as I should.

Speed wins and speed kills, but the ride is sure worth it. What an exciting game this is.

19. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    OpenFeint achievements would be perfect. I hope to see them added soon!

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Actually, I have heard the new album (God Hates Us being the only decent song on there, IMO) and while Waking the Fallen is indeed a great metalcore album (I used to listen to it quite a lot, but my taste in metal has changed severely since then)...it's metalcore in the end. >_>

The last thing I want to do is start up an argument related to metal on these forums (like I don't have to deal with that on every other forum I visit), so let's just say I shouldn't have blatantly said what I think of A7X (considering they have nothing to do with Solipskier), despite the fact that the game's soundtrack sounds NOTHING like Avenged Sevenfold. :p *runs away from sammysin*