Universal Solipskier (by Mikengreg)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Wait, so just to clarify: the game's been updated and runs now but there are siginificant problems with button input and ui? Is it worth reinstalling? This is/was one of the all time greats.

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I didn't find one problem.

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I've been having issues with the Restart/Menu/Mute... buttons, but outside of that, no issues with the controls...

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Wow, really. All of that is working on my iPad Air 2 8.2.

5. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Hmm... I'm using my iPhone 5... 7.1.2...

I can get it to replay, and mute... but it takes a couple taps to find the right spot I guess... =o/

6. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Menu buttons are a bit tricky but works fine on my iPhone 5 iOS 8.1

7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    And now that I've played more... the skier goes through my jumps when trying to... well, jump(ESPECIALLY while going fast...)... it's like he'll make it half-way up the jump, but then he cuts through the middle of the snow.

Also... I found the 'spot' on the button icons that I need to push - it's like they're still laidout for the 3.5 inch screen (about a half inch in from the side on my iPhone 5 - almost like it's against the top of the screen, which makes sense since when you open your multitasking bar, it shows the game being played in portrait mode...

=o/

Kind of a messy update.

BUT - I AM SO INCREDIBLY HAPPY that after 5 years, one of my all-time favorite iOS games received an update. Hopefully this means that tweaks and fixes are not out of the question in the future (maybe even GameCenter integration???)

8. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Mine has crashed twice, hopefully a tweak will come.

9. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Mine's crashed a few times, too. Feels like the game was stretched to fit the larger screen iPhones but perhaps not properly optimized? Text looks fuzzy and stretched on iPhone 5s and touch zones are off, including screen edges. I really hope they fix it because it's such a classic!

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Sooo... This was updated. But on my 5, it's still wonky, the buttons are just like they were and now the controls are kinda funky (the hill starts about half an inch behind my finger instead of right under it....

Aside from that, it looks like the collision detection was fixed...

11. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Perfectly suited touch controls, great music, some of the best artwork I've seen and still it manages to nail that great high score gameplay perfect for mobile. Also has a ridiculously addictive score system and loads of hidden depth for hardcore players as well as casual.

The greatest iOS game of all time in my opinion. Boy do I hope one day this masterpiece receives the update it deserves.

Otherwise, random thread bump.