SolForge Digital TCG from the creators of Magic and Ascension

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kibler, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    If anyone is on the fence about the kickstarter, they're offering a second faction's starter deck as an added bonus to anyone who pledges $25 or more by the end of Gencon (next Monday, the 20th). This was just announced on Facebook, not sure if the link will work for people without Facebook accounts.

2. Kibler

Kibler Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Game Designer
    Oceanside, CA
    The goal to play the game play asynchronously influenced a lot of our engine design decisions and individual card designs, as well. It plays super smoothly, as anyone who is going to GenCon or PAX will be able to attest to soon thanks the demos we're running at those shows! :)

3. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    There are a few new backer levels, including a new $60 tier which gets you a starter deck (two if you pledge by midnight tonight), five booster packs, entry into a kickstarter-exclusive tournament, $60 of credit to spend on the game's shop, a digital art book, a kickstarter exclusive promo card, and, of course, beta testing access. I expect this tier will become very popular.

The project is closing in on 60% of the goal, and PAX is next week so this is looking more like a sure thing every day. Also, if anyone is unaware, you can actually pledge now and your card won't be charged until the campaign ends. I know some people aren't aware of this and put off pledging as a result; I personally won't have the money to cover this until the end of next week, but I've pledged anyway for the extra starter deck bonus.

4. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    How is it that there are three Pokemon clones with threads that stay at the top of this forum, yet this thread is getting no love? This game looks downright brilliant and has incredible pedigree!

Anyway, here's a video of Richard Garfield and John Fiorillo (one of the guys from Gary Games) playing a full game of Solforge. Game takes about 20 minutes, and I'll bet that when playing for real rather than demoing matches can be done in 15 or less; it's very fast-paced and exciting.

YouTube: video

EDIT: Why isn't it embedding? D:

5. Kibler

Kibler Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Game Designer
    Oceanside, CA
    We're in our final week on Kickstarter and we're almost there! We have some promotions running through Wednesday in addition to the usual backer levels, along with a bunch of new information available on the KS page under the updates, so be sure to check it out!

6. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Good luck guys! Ascension is my favorite card game (with Magic being close behind), so I'm really looking forward to see what you guys do with this.

7. drengy

drengy New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Can't wait

I've been avidly following the progress of this ever since Gary Games released the first teaser image. Ascension is one of my favorite games of the last 5 years, and SolForge looks equally fun. If the Kickstarter gets funded I will be counting the days until the first beta.

If you have any interest in this at all please go pledge something at the Kickstarter, they need every dollar to get to the goal:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1965800643/solforge-digital-trading-card-game

8. Kibler

Kibler Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Game Designer
    Oceanside, CA
  9. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    There was a huge boost in pledges yesterday. It's blown right past 200k and is closing in on 215k now. This is happening guys, let's get some more TA people in the beta!

10. Kibler

Kibler Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Game Designer
    Oceanside, CA
    Yeah, pledges have gone up a lot in the past couple days!

We're going to be doing daily updates from here on out - stay tuned for info on our live Q&A stream and a bunch more!

11. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah I finally broke down and made a contribution, this is only the second time I've ever done a kickstarter!

12. Kibler

Kibler Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Game Designer
    Oceanside, CA
    Thanks for the support!

13. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Right on! SolForge was actually my first KS contribution!

14. Brimah

Brimah Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Checking the KS this morning, and they met their goal overnight! Amazing how much it went up in the last week, wasn't sure if it would make it.

15. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Sweet! Congrats GG! Looking forward to Jan. - I think that was the release time, right?

16. Brimah

Brimah Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It's really moving along now. Just passed 300k which was the first stretch goal. Grats again guys.

17. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Wow it's really been on a tear, just passed the 350K mark! Looking forward to the beta now...

18. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    Yup, 350k and animated cards! Only a few hours left to pledge if you want to get into the beta!

19. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I'm also looking forward to the beta, but I thought Apple has a policy that only allowed 100 beta spots. How are they going to get around that if that's the case?

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It's possible that they will make the beta for PC which would let them have as many beta testers as they want.

They may also make the game in HTML5 and just have you login and play via safari