SolForge Digital TCG from the creators of Magic and Ascension

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kibler, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kibler

Kibler Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Game Designer
    Oceanside, CA
    #1 Kibler, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    Hi all - I was directed to this forum by a fellow iOS gaming enthusiast who suggested you all might be interested in a new project we're working on.

SolForge is a free-to-play digital TCG for iOS and PC (and, hopefully, Android and other platforms as well) made by Gary Games, the designers of the Ascension board game and iOS app, in partnership with Richard Garfield, the original designer of Magic the Gathering.

Check out our Kickstarter page here. Anyone who contributes at least $5 to our Kickstarter receives access to the Beta when it goes live, along with a bunch of other cool rewards at every backer level.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1965800643/solforge-digital-trading-card-game

Our forums are here:

www.solforgegame.com

And here's a sneak preview of our current prototype we're using to film gameplay footage today!

[​IMG]

Here's some screenshots from our in-progress version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for updates!

www.facebook.com/solforgegame
    www.twitter.com/solforgegame

I'd be happy to answer any questions you all might have, either here or in our forums, so don't hold back. Also, if anyone can help me figure out how to embed our video properly, I'd appreciate that :)

-Brian Kibler

2. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    Looks great so far. I'll be helping fund it.

3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Very interested.
    Will this be for iPhone as well? You say ios, but show an iPad. I have both but so often want a game badly to come to iPhone also.

4. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    I've been looking forward to this since it first showed up on Facebook. I'll try to find some of the promo art they've posted, which looks pretty great. I'm really excited to see what ideas Gary Games and Richard Garfield have for exploiting the freedom of the digital medium (a-la Assassin's Creed Recollection). I know I'm pledging at least $25 towards this, and seriously thinking about bumping it higher.

5. Kibler

Kibler Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Game Designer
    Oceanside, CA
    We're developing the game for both iPhone and iPad. Our initial prototype build is using the iPad because it's much better for giving demos, which we plan to have available at both GenCon and PAX in the upcoming month.

6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Great! Good to hear. Looking forward to the development of this.

7. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Looks fantastic! $250k by September? Good luck I really hope it happens

8. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Loving everything I'm seeing on the Kickstarter page. Upgradable cards, beautiful graphics, in-depth single player campaign where the decisions you make will impact the story as it unfolds.

This will be an insta-buy no doubt as I'm a fan of everything Gary Games touches for iOS. I guys my only question is, will the multiplayer be asynchronous? If so, will there be a chat feature (please say yes to both)?

9. Kibler

Kibler Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Game Designer
    Oceanside, CA
    We'll be supporting asynchronous play similar to how we do Ascension - you can play games with specific time limits so you can finish a game in one sitting or over the course of a week if you want. We do plan on having player chat as well.

10. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Ftw!!!

woot!:D

11. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    Just passed $70k while I was rewatching the kickstarter video. I'm so excited for this game! :x

12. Kibler

Kibler Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Game Designer
    Oceanside, CA
  13. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Game looks very interesting, and the fact that it's by Gary Games (being a huge Ascension fan) is great. I like the leveling up mechanic - pretty unique.
    Posted my contribution to KS - looking forward to playing!

14. Kibler

Kibler Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Game Designer
    Oceanside, CA
    Thanks for your support! We have more updates coming soon, including a gameplay walkthrough video, and we'll have coverage of our demos at GenCon next week

15. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Glad to help. I had a project on KS as well, so I know what you're going through to an extent.
    The twitch video helped in understanding the game - I was concerned it looked a bit like those Urban Rivals/Rage of Bahamut type games (it baffles me how popular those are), but the video quelled my fears.

16. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    I think it's kind of interesting how the cards refer to themselves in the first person. As long as this only applies to creatures, I like it (I don't want a breastplate telling me that "when a hero equips me I guard his chest area granting him two additional damage reduction!" or anything. I especially think that the effect could be reinforced with some minor voice acting (just one of a few phrases when the card enters play or combat) along with the ability to have the card text read by that character. It would lend a lot of personality, and maybe help with the feeling that the cards are just a medium through which you are interacting with a changeable world. Not sure what sort of plans you guys actually have, just thinking out loud.

17. Kibler

Kibler Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Game Designer
    Oceanside, CA
    The templating is still in flux - we've gotten quite a bit of feedback about the first person voice on the cards, which is kind of amusing to me - both positive and negative. We'll see how it ends up :p

18. Kibler

Kibler Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Game Designer
    Oceanside, CA
  19. telos81

telos81 Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I am super excited about this game! I can't wait to play it!

I donated $25 this week and I really hope you meet the first stretch goal!

20. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Very nice!! That just made me that much more interested in the game :) my one and only beef with Magic 2013 is that the multiplayer is not asynchronous. That said, MTG play mechanics makes it almost impossible for asynch with the instants and interrupts.
    Looking forward to it...