Universal SolForge - (by Stone Blade Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Rivalsan

Rivalsan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2011
    I went ahead and conceded. I'll send another invite.

I'm not quite ready to give up on the iPad version just yet, though. I finished a couple of games so far.

2. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Keep in mind they still consider this an open beta at this point. Still frustrating but I'm confident the kinks will get ironed out soon.

3. Rivalsan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2011
    I must admit that I like what I've played so far (when it runs correctly). I just recommended it to my friend, and I hope we soon get to have some games that will allow us to finish them.

4. Rivalsan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2011
    New update was just released. Check your iTunes!

5. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    If people like this, then you should really get spellcraft. Even kard combat or spectromancer. Pretty much same same but with out the cards upgrading as time goes on (which I'm partial too anyway).

6. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Spectromancer is whole lot better value for money if you're deciding to put any money at all into these things. You buy a set/expansion and that's it - you get everything - there's no pay to win. There's also a very solid ladder ranking system in place.

I'm not sure the value for money is there yet for Solforge and it is definitely a case of pay to win if you decide to embark into online games. Still, it is fun collecting the freebies, and there's enough aof a hook in the gameplay to keep me coming back for more at the moment.

7. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Woop, this should be out on iPhone very soon if not already, according to an email from SB that I got. Apparently they've released the update. (Not sure if that means it's going live imminently?).

8. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Well update was live this morning in the NL store. But I didn't think to check if this was universal or not.

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    It's here. Universal now. Amongst other awesome updates like drafting.

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Update: the drafting cost is very disappointing. I was hoping to be able to draft to my hearts contempt. Well, I can, at the price of $7 a draft.

Also, has anyone really been able to get into this. I just can't at the moment. 3 main things that big me (which unforts are the core mechanics).

1. Player that goes first will also have his cards levelled up first. (Spose it's somewhat offset by first player only being able to play one card.
    2. The whole level up thing is quite fidgety, and hard to remember if you played a card previously or you need to play it now so it can level up in the future. (There is a log but it's cumbersome).
    3. Cards attack on every turn, starting from after their summoning sickness on first turn. Even the opponents cards opposite empty slots will attack when it's your turn. This doesn't seem right, and I think skews the game once someone gets on a field control lead. Other lane based games don't do this, and there's probably a good reason for that. Kard combat and spellcraft for instance don't have the opponents minions attack when it's your turn. This is my biggest gripe, because it's part of the mechanics.

11. Meridian99

Meridian99 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    This game is not pay to win, i haven't put any money in it ( got all of my good cards from the very generous daily rewards - login, first win, third win - )and i win very regularly online. You also get free tickets for tourneys from those rewards so you can play in a tournament about once a week for free. The game itself is great, very strategic and with loads of decisions to make each turn. Give it a try and see.

And the ipad client works great now, no issues for me at all.

12. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I agree, as others have said once someone gets on a roll, which can happen in the first few moves, there is no coming back. Not having the opponent attack on your turn would really help fix that.

13. Meridian99

Meridian99 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    I think good deckbuilding goes a long way towards helping you to come back from those situations

14. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Just started playing this one. It's still in beta because they want their content to be up to par beforehand. But I'm already hooked.

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #95 LordGek, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    Ouch! As of this last update if I try to load or save a deck the game crashes!

UPDATE: Just read on their FB page this is a known issue, just delete and reinstall. Since all of your decks and collection are stored on their servers, there is no risk of losing anything by doing so.

16. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    How do I get this to play in portrait mode?
    I only get landscape... (iPhone 6+)

17. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    I'm guessing that not many people here play this game anymore since the thread isn't active, but does.... anybody play?

I remember playing a bit on my iPad when it came out, and it was decent enough if in need of performance improvements. I don't have my iPad handy enough, so I stopped playing after a week or so, certainly before I made more than one deck or figured out any deep strategy. I recently picked it back up on my phone, and it falls under that "something's just not right" category for me.

I don't think it was ever reviewed on TA, and that's too bad. I never followed the internet buzz and discussion when it was new, so I never really knew how people felt about it. But here I am, almost forcing myself to open up the app at least for a daily booster pack. I made a new deck, and have pulled quite a few heroic cards from the free boosters. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how I could enjoy Ascension so much, but can't quite get into this one

Aside from the game itself, which I enjoy well enough, it feels like SBE has given up on the app. Probably the biggest issue for me is how tapping menu buttons gives no visual feedback, so I can't tell if the tap registered, or if it's just waiting to connect to the servers for something.

18. Von_Dutch

Von_Dutch Member

Apr 16, 2012
    #98 Von_Dutch, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    In a way yes, SBE is dropping the current client which was built on MOAI (which is why it hasn't been getting much updates other then card releases) and re-building the client from scratch using unity which is scheduled for fall release. That lack of visual feedback is a bug but I don't know if they will fix it for the MOAI build as once the new client is finished and released it won't be there. Does SBE want to use much resources on the current client?, when its getting replaced in the next 4 - 6 months. My guess is no.

You can read about what SBE are doing in regards to SolForge here: http://solforgegame.com/news/design-whats-to-come/

Here is a example of what the new client looks like and as you can see they are doing massive changes/updates
    [​IMG]

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #99 Talbs, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    ^ Geeez, sounds like they are doing quite th opposite to abandoning it, which I'm a little surprised by. I haven't been paying attention so maybe that explains my surprise. But I just did not think this game was getting great attention. And, well, it didn't sync with me. I listed my reasons a few pages back. Mainly my gripe was actually the core mechanic of the game itself! - cards attacking From both sides every freaking turn. To me that just didn't quite feel right. And a big reason for that to not sit right with me is that no card seemed to stay in for very long at all. Playing the cards just felt like cannon fodder unto themselves. I prefer card games where a well planned summon of a card can wreak havoc until the opponent is able to dispose of it.
    Anyway, that's just me.
    But I'm more than glad to see this is still getting developed. Big card game fan either way so, having another option to pick up on the odd day is great.

20. Von_Dutch

Von_Dutch Member

Apr 16, 2012
    ^Admittedly the current UI/client isn't the best and SBE knows it. Thus the new client, which will be much more snappy and responsive. The new client will have new features too such as adding an in-game ladder system and I'm not sure if it will be available at launch or not but animated cards and attack affects etc, are to be added or included.
    If you are interested in seeing what the animated graphic looks like here is one for Scorchmane Dragon gfycat link

SBE have also said they will be doing a marketing/advertising campaign with the release of the new client.
    I for one am looking forward to the update.