Universal SolForge - (by Stone Blade Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Crzychkn

Crzychkn Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Oh wow, I did not know any of that. Where did you find that information? Thanks for sharing it too!

That is terrifying then actually, and completely validates the concerns here about ascension. Boo.

2. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #62 Nachtfischer, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    Uh... I think primarily by following the "iOS board games" blog on BoardGameGeek (and board gaming news in general) and regularly reading Pocket Tactics. Plus the Kickstarter FAQ of the new "Ascension Online" by Stoneblade (recently funded very successfully).

3. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Well it seems like the iPad version is working better now, I'm able to logon, build decks and claim rewards. Will try multiplayer sometime later today. If anyone wants to hit me up for any games feel free to do so! ID is Emos.

4. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Just tried it, crashed several times, unable to start a multiplayer game...no ones playing or its not working. Did check out the store...$20 for a "premium" booster pack. This game has pay to win all over it. It's truly sad to see the great minds who created ascension (one of my all time favorite games), pushing this garbage. While there is very tiny amount of strategy in this game, again like all freemium games, if you are a millionaire you will be able to win against people who are not. I guess they are hoping they get a but of rich people who's whole decks are made out of legendary cards, at which point the game will be luck of the draw. Right now at $20 per legendary with 30 cards per deck that is $600 per person. While that number is a little high as with some of the boosters that cost a little less than $10 you have a "chance" to get legendary cards, its pretty close.

But back to your point the game is still hopelessly broken from a technical standpoint.

5. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    I just sent you a game invite to play untimed Async. If anyone else wants to play Async games, friend kennfusion.

I am playing timed games also live, but only time permitting.

6. Meridian99

Meridian99 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Don't rush to judgement yet. The game gives you plenty of rewards (cards and silver) daily and in those rewards you get all kinds of card tiers. They are trying to make it a fair game, and I have faith that they will adjust accordingly. And the game itself is really really good. Lot's of strategy and a lot of fun deck-building.

7. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I like these type of games, I backed this on kickstarter. I truly hope they improve on the foundation they have built but... I am not liking the direction the game has turned. Time will tell if they balance it further but from fist beta until now the progress is bad. For the game to be balanced common cards would have an equal chance against legendary cards. Right now that's not the case, and legendary cards are purchased with cash. I haven't received any gold through gameplay but I haven't played online yet as I'm unable to start one against a random opponent.

8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Yeh I don't get how this game deals with rares/epics or whatever. Since there is no mana required (giving consideration to casting cost), then you may as well fill the deck with epics.

9. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    An update just showed up with stability fixes it says! I sure hope it runs more consistently! :)

10. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Report: Delighted to find this: 1) has no async MP and better; 2) crashes at round 2 of my first MP game. I close the app, launch and try to enter and it keeps on crashing...Sorry to see you go bye. :rolleyes:

Statement: It finally makes me feel that moving Ascension to this developer is really no good! :mad:

11. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Still getting disconnects when trying to play matches. It's fun but I'm going to set it aside until its reliable

12. SharpCarlos

SharpCarlos Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    The game does actually have async. Multiplayer defaults to a 30 minute chess-clock style timer (so, essentially, live play), but if you choose no timer, you're playing async.

The problem is that right now the game IS totally and completely broken. Every multiplayer match I've started has become unplayable at some point. The deck builder does seem to work, and single player usually works. And you can earn daily rewards from playing solo. But multiplayer is still a no-go.

13. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah I can only seem to complete maybe 1 out of every 5 multiplayer games, the rest get hung up or corrupted in some way.

14. Meridian99

Meridian99 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    They are fixing the issues, they said today in the solforge stream that they are having server problems with the ipad version and they are working hard to fix it. hopefully sooner rather than later.

15. Rivalsan

Rivalsan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2011
    Upon recommendation by another TA forum member, I downloaded Solforge yesterday. It seems pretty good so far. If anyone wants to get a match going, my ID is Rivalsan.

16. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    Although you and I have not been able to complete a game yet, i do like that we keep attempting, as eventually we will complete a game and I assume that will mean the game actually works as intended at that point. :)

17. Rivalsan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2011
    I set up a timed game today. It was going well at first, but at one point the game wouldn't log me into its servers. So by the time it finally logged in again, I only had five minutes of time left to play, and my opponent still had 29 minutes left to make moves. We were able to finish the game, but I was throwing cards down like a mad man at the end!

18. Rivalsan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2011
    It's my turn to make a move with Emos, but for some reason the game keeps telling me that I can't make a move at this time. The exact error is, "Disconnected from the network. Cannot continue your game at this time." Is this the same error that you all have been getting?

I guess we'll see what happens in a little while.

19. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Sounds like it got corrupted, happens to many of my games too. Can't wait for these issues to be resolved so I can start playing others on a regular basis.

20. SharpCarlos

SharpCarlos Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    That's the error I've been getting too. Until they release another update, I think the iPad version is unplayable. Almost every match I've tried has eventually become corrupted and unfinishable for one of the players.

The PC version, which you can download for free through Steam, is more stable (but not without it's own issues). I've actually been able to finish some games.