iPad Solar Zen

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DeadeLink, Jul 1, 2009.

1. DeadeLink

DeadeLink Active Member

Jul 1, 2009
    #1 DeadeLink, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Year 3471. Zen Galaxy. The universe is under the treat of a big bang. Only you can save Zen from the immenent disaster.
    Your task is to control the planets of the galaxy. You need to bring the planet into the safe area marked green on the map. Avoid the black holes!
    The safe area is not always active! To activate the area you need to complete a certain number of circuits around the sun with your planet. Each of the planets has its own safe area. For the sake of galaxy on some levels you will need to bring several planets into the safe areas simultaneoulsy. Don't let a single planet to perish!
    Avoid the black holes! They can emerge and vanish in any place. If the planet gets into a black hole it dissappears to an undisclosed location.
    Zen Galaxy has its own physical laws. To launch the planet from the start area you need to touch it and slide your finger on the screen. It gives the planet the initial speed-up.
    The planet gravitates towards the Sun. You need to be careful! The planet explodes if it comes too close to the star.
    Tilting your iPhone you can change the initial orbit of the planets. This is how you can control their movements.
    In Practice Mode you can explore the laws of physics in Zen Galaxy and train to control the planet orbits with your iPhone.
    Don't let the Zen Galaxy to perish! You are the only hope!
    Welcome to Solar Zen!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=320525030&mt=8

2. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
  3. costanza

costanza Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    you need to use "[ ]", not "< >" on forums. :p

4. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

ouch. Something went really wrong there.

5. yeah yeah

yeah yeah Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    LOL, don't think I want to reenter this thread...

6. Heaven Net

Heaven Net New Member

Solar Zen

A solar cell beneath the dial converts any form of light into electrical energy to power the watch. WIth regular exposure to light, Solar Cell continuously recharges itself for a lifetime of use.

Powered by sunlight or artificial light, the SunwinderÂ’s unique, high performance capacitor stores energy up to 50 days when fully charged. The watch charges continuously in light and it only takes 2 hours for an initial full charge. If the power is low, the second hand makes a double step warning. An exclusive, environmentally friendly alternative to battery watches!

7. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    now FREE

...for a limited time :)

8. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    niceeeee downloading now!

9. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    #9 Wegmans, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
    How much does it cost to have someone proof-read your [insert adjective here] game?

"year 3471: Zen Galaxy. The universe is under the treat of a big bang...."

I'm sorry, i love being an optimist, but my initial feeling of the game is more like 2/5... the sound is the best part, but there are typos everywhere, and it seems more of a hassle to understand the game than to play it... I'm going to keep trying... perhaps it gets better?

What are other people's opinions??

I've circled the sun probably 5 times (1-2 minutes of play) and still nothing has happened..

I'm pretty close to liking this... it's frustratingly hard to navigate around the sun 3x... things interfere with you... you'll inevitably drop your device if you're not careful haha

Ok so after maybe 10 minutes with this game, i'd bump it up to 3/5 stars... definitely a great start... it could be another Eliss perhaps with some more quality control, and emphasis on the sound...

For free, you must absolutely download this game, and submit a constructive review! Can't argue with free!!

10. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Slide To Play score: 1

They should be paying you to play this game.

11. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    haha harsh!! but a good point.. i'm just glad i didn't pay for it, but i'm going to keep at it over the next few days, and hopefully something will spark my interest.. I feel like if the game has been made free, it's up to me to provide some constructive comments to make the game better!

12. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Do you enjoy frustration and planetary gravity?

Your goal - Send a planet rotating around a cool looking art deco sun. You have to meet a minimum number of successful orbits and then have the planet's orbital path take it into an illuminated "safe zone". This ends the current level and unlocks the next planet (level).

Sounds simple enough, but it is really pretty darn difficult. Hold your phone horizontal to the ground and use your finger to flick the planet giving it an initial orbital speed and direction; however, if you are not careful, you will send it outside of the play area, never to be seen again. Don't give it enough speed and it will crash into the sun. Once you give it a successful flick, you then have to tilt your phone to keep it going around. (If you've played Cat Toss, you know what I mean). If you don't mind looking like a freak in public, then you'll be okay...you will have to tilt your phone constantly and often perpendicular to the ground to keep the planet going around at a safe distance. Sometimes, I could not see the screen because I would have to be tilting the phone at such a sharp angle.

Black holes are then added in as an obstacle to your planetary rotation success. Initially there's just one, but then there will be 2 (and I'm assuming more after that) and they will pop in and out of existence periodically, just waiting to suck your planet to "an undisclosed location". You will have get your planet to weave in between all these obstacles for a minimum of 3 successful orbits.

Luckily you are given an unlimited supply of new planets each level to try, try again for success...maybe they come from that "undisclosed location"?

There are medals to earn at each level for completing the level in a certain amount of time. I didn't come close to earning any of them, lol.

Pros:
    -interesting art style
    -good sound effects and catchy background music
    -tutorial was fairly clear on how to play
    -neat level layout
    -there's a practice mode, but it doesn't include any obstacles to practice with

Cons:
    -very frustrating gameplay - the sun and your tilting all are supposed to have an influence on a planet's orbit, but I found it difficult to figure out exactly what effect I was having with all that tilting
    -need a way to calibrate accelerometer sensitivity so you don't have to tilt your phone to such excessive angles and look like a spastic freak
    -did I mention it was really frustrating...

What can I say? It's free right now, so you can judge for yourself. It's a cool looking game graphically, but big on frustration.

Let me know if your mileage varies.

13. cmfnyc

cmfnyc Active Member

Nov 13, 2008
    #13 cmfnyc, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2009
    What's with Slide to Play griefing the game in a forum? STP_Tim could have simply posted that Slide to Play reviewed the game and gave it a one, but he has to add in the pay to play part. Am I the only one to find that a bit like piling on? It's like they need to haunt this app wherever it's mentioned.

Is the game great, well no? The idea is there, but the physics is off. Hopefully it can be fixed.

I actually bought it after the Slide to Play review because I just don't trust Slide to Play. They seem incredibly harsh on some games, incredibly soft on others. Plus they exude this smugness that really rubs me the wrong way.

I'm not saying their review was bad. It [the game] does have a typo (not a big deal in my book). Overall it looks good. But like their review states, the physics doesn't seem fluid.

I'm not saying reviewers can't set be tough, either. But you would never see someone like Roger Ebert lurking in a forum to snipe a movie.

And while I realize the Chicago Sun Times and Slide to Play are obviously not on level turf, I think any site that wants to take reviewing seriously should hold itself to some standard of conduct. Otherwise people won't take you seriously, like me.

I'm not a dev and I have no connection to this game, but I do creative work. Criticism is necessary to get better. Griefing is unproductive.

You played the game. You didn't like it. You reviewed it. Move on.

P.S. Thankfully, I have TouchArcade, Pocketgamer, and iPhone Games Network to get news, views and reviews I can trust.

14. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I have to agree with the guy above me. You could have posted the review, not just the rating =/

15. DeadeLink

DeadeLink Active Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Thanx very much for your posts and reviews!
    We are working hard on improved the game.

Now, you can try the game with the SolarZen Lite.

16. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    1.2 update is out

What's new
    Graphics improved
    3D Planets
    Twitter integrated
    Full Scoreloop support
    iPhone OS 2.0 and later compliant
    Bugs fixed