Universal Solar Siege (By Origin8)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    That would definitely be a plus. Anybody doing an LP video?

2. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    #22 BC1377, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Anybody experiencing crashed on the startup ?

I'm using ipad air btw

3. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I didn't experience a crash on my non-jb Air with the latest iOS under the hood. Try restarting your device...sometimes that helps.

4. Silver99

Silver99 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Yep. That would make me buy. I really hate ads.

5. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Will do tonight xD thanks man xD

6. Smallville2106

Smallville2106 Active Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Loved the original. Will happily pay for the campaigns BUT NOT until ads can be removed.
    Great to see you guys back :)

7. Origin8

Origin8 Well-Known Member

#27 Origin8, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Please can you contact [email protected] and we'll do our best to help you out!

This is planned for a future update, after launch issues have been sorted out.

Thanks! Yes, there are lots of random game levels in Solar Siege which get progressively harder as you unlock them throughout the campaign.

We have decided to remove the ads for all those who purchase the campaign IAP. It will require an update to the app which we will submit as soon as the current update is approved.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

8. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Great, I'll be buying that then!

9. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    There don't appear to be cloud saves, is there any chance of this being added? Want to play this on both my iPad and iPhone!

10. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Long time fan...bought all of your games to date.

At the moment im not feeling this as much as the original and I dont know why yet (but will let you know when I do).

Please consider overhauling the tutorial though as it doesnt really explain what the buttons on the left side of the screen actually do (I know it says press the buttons on the left to deactivate power but its not entirely clear which is which) and correct me If I am wrong but it doesnt explain what the bottom two buttons on the left do at all!

11. Origin8

Yes, this is on our list of new features to add as soon as I have the time.

Thanks!

We are always keen on getting constructive feedback on gameplay. Let us know if you think of anything that doesn't feel as good as it could do!

This is already partly done. These four buttons are now hidden until they are introduced in the campaign, you'll get these changes in a coming update.

The power controls allow you to temporarily disable some or all miners or construction, which can be incredibly useful when you are running low on power and under attack. One of the main complains of the original Space Station game was that there wasn't enough control over the distribution of power, and these controls make gameplay far more dynamic when you are trying to balance power usage with resource collection.

12. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Big fan of all your games, dev. Really excited to see this series come back, and $3 is a steal.

I do agree about the tutorial, though. There are times when I'm not sure what's happening. For instance, some of my mining nodes seem to lose power randomly and I don't know why. The ship's energy is at maximum and I have powernodes going to them, so I'm not sure what's up.

Also, sometimes the ship's energy seems to run out, and then a few minutes later it's at maximum again even though I didn't get rid of any power nodes.

It's entirely possible I'm an idiot, though.

Game is really sweet so far though! Well done.

13. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Glad to hear about the ad removal. I can remove it off of my "don't buy" list now;)

14. tornadogaming

tornadogaming Active Member

Feb 28, 2015
    That would make idiots of us too!

First time playing a game like this and have to say , while we are progressing through levels, it does feel like this is happening more out of luck than properly executing a strategy.

Would someone be so kind as to run through what each of the icons on the left does?
    At least with this knowledge it might be easier to pretend that it's our skill that is helping us advance!

Attached Files:

15. Silver99

Silver99 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    See the above comment from Origin8 where he explains those same buttons (I gather) aren't implemented yet.

16. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    When the mining nodes seem to lose power, what's really happened is that they are full of ore so are waiting for the ore collectors to come and empty them before they can start mining again. And because they have temporarily stopped mining, they have temporarily stopped drawing power.

When your power suddenly starts recharging faster it could be because a miner has stopped mining, or because something's finished constructing, or because something else has finished (e.g. building a ship or recharging a drone).

Top one is just your space station status I think.
    Next one down is construction, turn it off and all construction stops.
    Next one down is mining, turn it off and all mining stops, tap it again to turn on half your miners, tap it again to turn them all back on.
    Don't know about the other two, I assume they're things that are unlocked later.

17. tornadogaming

tornadogaming Active Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Thanks for the detailed explanation on everything HLW - this is perfect.

Will keep playing and might even try to get a video together!

18. WjndWalk3r

WjndWalk3r Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2015
    My ipad air 2 auto closing the app whenever i open it. Anyone encounter this ? I'm using ios10

19. Origin8

The new update is now live (v1.1.1) which reduces the number of ads you get, and removes the largest two packs from the store.

We are in final testing for the next update which we hope to submit to apple within the next day or two which contains the following improvements:

- Campaign purchase now also removes ads
    - removed power control buttons and added improved introduction and tutorial bit for them on level 2
    - removed the bottom two super power buttons until later on in the campaign
    - misc bugfixes

Thanks for the feedback regarding power usage and miners. Your explanation HLW is spot on. Balancing miner/construction power usage, crystal carrier collections and gun power usage is a huge part of the core gameplay. If you guys aren't getting it then we clearly need to improve the visual feedback and the way these things are explained. We'll keep you posted for the next update.

The bottom two buttons are special 'super power' buttons where you can use some space gems to perform last-resort moves to keep you alive. The top one uses some gems to boost power generation massively for a while. The bottom one makes all of your structures completely invulnerable for a while. These were put in to give you some options if you are about to finish a long game and are becoming overrun.

We've had a couple of reports of this but haven't yet seen it on any of our devices. If you contact [email protected] we will try our best to help you out.

20. Origin8

Also, a couple of other notes about power usage which may be helpful:

- A Timer icon means a structure is disabled (full, waiting for something to happen or disabled by the user)
    - A Lightning Bolt icon means a structure is unable to function because its out of power
    - Power links glow when power is being drawn along them
    - The Excalibur(main station) generates power at a fixed rate, if your power bar is going down you are using too much, and if its full you have spare.

Ideas for how to show power usage more effectively to the player would be greatly useful. We did consider floating numbers above structures as they use power, and as power is generated, but felt this would potentially over clutter the UI.

Thanks for all the great feedback and ideas so far!