Universal [Soft Launch - CA] Monster Hunter Explore (by Capcom)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Galois

Galois Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2010
    This is the game that made me create a CA account.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It's so far the best reason to, from what i can remember.

3. Jmartinez41

Jmartinez41 Member

Sep 19, 2014
    On loading screens it shows "tips". One of the tips I've read says "if you delete the app all your saved data will be deleted with it". So I'm not exactly sure how backing up works. Definitely not iCloud though.

4. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I read in the file transfer info, that you can transfer progress, but the gems DO NOT. They even suggest spending the crystals first before transferring. I think they tie the crystal info with the device ID to prevent imbalances.

5. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    This game was fun back then ( when it was out on the Japanese AppStore)
    But now I only have a biter taste for the franchise ( iOS release only)
    - mhfu gone
    - no iCloud

And now they are outing out this!
    This is just sad, and deserving to the iOS platform. ( this free to play version success may decide whether or not if we will ever get mhfu back.
    I hope capcom is not going to the gameloft route.
    If yes? I need some popcorn

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    On the bright side, you'd have good reason to change your name to sadreviewer. :D

7. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    The other monster hunter game won't even load up now. Monster Hunter 4. Maybe they have to update it but it just disappears when I try and start it on my iPad :/. So I won't risk this one (just to be a whiner). I liked 4. Bettern the 3 I got on DS

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I envy you playing MH4 on your ipad. o_O

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    This game is absolute crap and in no way comparable to a full version of MH. I hope Capcom will face a big backlash with it. MH used to be a game where you need skills, not cash. This is ridiculous, Capcom lost their mind.

10. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    So this is awesome! Hate f2p but this is really accessible so far. It also bypasses AirWatch so I can play with Game Center blocked. Just did my first multi match and omg it was flawless.

Fiancé and I are gonna game it up! Got her hooked on the Witcher 3, Borderlands, Card Crawl... And not Monster Hunter!

11. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    How long d'ya reckon before the soft launch hardens? Can't really be asked to go to the rigmarole of creating yet another account.

12. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    To each their own. After being treated to the mhfu version , I just can't get into this one. Its clearly more accessible and I get it but to anyone who likes the franchise for what it was/is then you're going to be mind numbingly bored with this watered down version. And no it's not going to hold me over for the fix of mhfu which could happen or may not. Who knows.

13. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    As someone who always heard about these games, and never got to play them, I'm enjoying it for what it is. Would anyone be interested in joining a touch arcade clan if one isn't already made?

14. Galvaude

Galvaude Active Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Maybe, haven't see any difference in difficulty so far on the second island.

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Compared to other freemium action RPGs or port-to-freemium-converts, this actually stacks up to be one of the better ones.

As for comparison to MHFU, 99.9% of the games in the appstore wont compare, and this, being a port-to-freemium of sorts, would simply pale to what MH really is.

In this one you'd still need skills... Not by much, but it does require skills. Not sure if you have played this one, but the only main difference this version adds to MHFU is the auto-aim, and the lesser control on the type of strikes to use. Character basically follows the direction where the target is while on the first few frames of the attack animation. It will miss on targets encircling you. Attacking also doesnt automatically move you closer to the target, so you'll whiff without moving closer. Also, one change in MHEx that i like is being able to cancel most regular attacks with a dodge roll mid swing. Makes for some reaction-based (which i would consider skill-based) combat compared to the usual freemium skirmisher available.

Cash wont get you far into this game. Maybe a thousand bucks for one mission. LOL. Thing is, you can pay gems to revive to full, but it doesnt really help in actually killing the boss. The other handicap added here is the use of a boost (pay gems before starting the mission to gain 20% addition to atk and def). Any skilled player wont use that mostly because it only means you'll have to hit the monster roughly 20% more times.

As for the format of each mission, MHEx removed the "look for the monster for 20 mins part" by basically making each battle an arena (should be familiar term to MH vets). There was a time back on the PSP where we and a few friends in a local online community always have speedrun competitions and 90% of these competitive missions are custom missions happening in the arena to remove the random nature of an enemy fleeing to other areas. So personally welcome the change. Would probably feel tiring later on, but it works fine to me right now. I know it's also a freemium convert, so that makes things a bit easier to accept too.

The loss of MHFU is still disappointing though. The existence of MHEx can be viewed as either an added insult to injury, or a way to make a series work on a very competitive platform. Either way, it gives us access to another MH game, and i choose to be positive for this one. Im glad it isnt a greedy fair at all, so props to Capcom for that.

Also, back when MHFU didnt exist yet, and all we got was MH Dynamic Hunting, I played the hell off of that. And MHEx IMO is a lot better than MHDH.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Well, the Barioth in the Barioth event is almost impossible to solo (iframe dodging with swipes is stupidly difficult), so that means mission will get difficult later on. Looking forward to that.

17. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    same problem here but from now on im using the TA guide's suggestion of using my existing gmail account with a +ca in the name part. then same password and suddenly its very easy to remember :p

18. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    main screen top right is the data import thingie. works more like record keeper in regards to moving to new devices etc.

19. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    and even less fun on the pro 12.9 heh :p

20. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah im playing on the ipad air and it is awkward. They need to add option to move the action button either to the left or right where it's easy for the thumb to reach, while the other thumb can be utilized for swipe-dodging.