iPad So, what are the chances of Resident Evil 4 on iTouch/Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by spiffyone, Dec 31, 2008.

1. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Before anyone states "Impossible", have a look at the mobile phone version of the game announced for the BREW mobile phone platform in Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsw6Bubp29Q

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX0kiXr-ebI

Gameplay starts at around the 3 minute mark on that last vid.

And since we already know that BioShock is in development on BREW as well, and that the team behind that have stated their intention on getting an iTouch/Phone version out...can RE4 mobile be a possible candidate for app store release?

2. steviet

steviet Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    tv editor
    London
    that looks awesome and I'd love any res game to come onto iPhone.

btw what's BREW?

3. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    #3 K.D!, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
    I saw that video of RE4 a while back and my first thoughts were, "Wow, this would be great on an iPhone/iTouch"... then I thought about the controls. I don't know. Being a very big Resident Evil fan, I'd love to see a Resi game on the iPhone/iTouch (after all, some of the other mobiles have just got a Resi game of their own in Resident Evil Degeneration, to tie in with the new CGI movie), but it's hard to image how the game would work via the touch screen.

Maybe an iPhone/iTouch specific Resi game, designed from the ground up for the platform might be quite interresting. Just don't don't make it into a stupid Tower Defense/Puzzle game... I'm sick of the sight of them at the moment!

EDIT: Just thinking about that Resi4 mobile game, surely it would be a massively stripped down version of the original, the file otherwise would be HUGE!

4. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Development platform for some JP only cell phones. I don't knpw exactly what hardware is in the phone on which the game is being played, but I have to figure if the dev team behind BioShock Mobile Ediition (also developed on BREW) states that they could develop it for iPhone, then the hardware requirement is within iPhone territory.

5. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    K.D.!, after having played Brothers in Arms: Hour of Heroes, I think that sort of control scheme could work pretty well. Would take up screen area though.

And RE4 mobile on iPhone would benefit in that the original didn't have free look anyway. So I figure a version of the dual control set up used in BiA would actually work better than in that game.

6. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    I don't know really. I have Resi4 for the Gamecube and the Wii (yes, I wanted the extra Wii content) and the controls on both are spot on. One of the main problems with Brothers in Arms, which I do own, is the controls, they're just a little too 'awkward' in my experience. Resi Evil games have always followed a 'turn on the spot' control method, which whilst it works, can still cause problems itself. Porting that over to the iPhone would make it even more hassle.

7. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Why do so much people want ports of console games? Look at Crystal Defenders and Puzzle Quest for example. Both games have a great core gameplay and are from a genre that is working well with touchscreen controls, but both suffer from being ports of versions developed for other systems instead of being developed exclusively for the iPhone from ground up.

And now you ask for Resident Evil or some other crazy stuff like GTA and Metal Gear Solid? Games that are developed with a controller with two analog sticks and a lot of buttons in mind. What do you want with those ports? Even if the developers can manage to build a somehow working control scheme, you still have graphics that are somewhere between DS and PSP. Does it sound satisfying to you to play worse versions of the games you already own for other systems? Or do you want to have something with a "big name" to impress your friends? I don't get it. This doesn't make sense.

8. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I agree. If a game is going to be ported to the iPhone, it needs to be done well and fit the iPhone's capabilities.

9. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I hope the game play mechanism won't be the same as Silent Hill. You just wonder around without any radar and dull looking environment.

10. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    Maybe MacWorld will Announce Console games going to the iPhone. Need for Speed, Resident Evil, and Metal Gear with Screenshots, videos, pricing, and Release dates

=D
    Just a Thought.

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I don't think porting existing game to the iPhone is a good way to roll. It'd be way better to build games from the ground up made exclusively for iDevices. We like all these games not completely because they're great games, but how the console and its controller handled them. There are some games you just can't port over to the iPhone. Take Mario, for instance. Everyone that's played it knows how much precision it takes to dodge those turtle sells and jump over multiple lava pits at the same time. You need hardware.

I can't count the number of time's I've accidently hit a "pause" button somewhere on the screen while sliding my finger, or how many time's I've crashed in Dropship not being able to move my finger in time because my hand's were slightly sticky.

Games have to be designed accounting all the device's pros and flaws. Control is one of the iDevices' flaws :(

Oh, snap. I'm a senior member :)

12. aerolord

aerolord Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2008
    No.. just no. Resident Evil 4 is my favourite game up to date and I don't think that it will be playing very well with the touch screen alone.

13. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

Building a game totally from the grounds up is the way to go for the iPhone. Porting is stupid. It's just a lazy way of bringing established game to the iPhone. They just want the money. The just think iPhone is like the mobile gaming profile. Where, you see a crap version of console on your mobile phone.

Apple want to push the iPhone/iTouch as a gaming platform then they need real game design for the iPhone. Not, ports. Just like Microsoft or Sony playstation where you have exclusive games.

This exclusivity is how they push their console as the choice people make to own. If the iPhone doesn't have any exclusive games and only ports why would people or gamers bother to get an iPhone/iTouch?

C'mon Apple, push this major game publishers to create REAL game for the iPhone and not just ports!!

Then, maybe, just maybe, the iPhone/iTouch would get part of that gaming pie. Aye!!?

:cool:

14. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I'll admit when I first saw this thread title, I was like "Great, here we go, another optomist" but wow, Japanese cell phones never cease to amaze me.

I say bring it! Just, for God's sake, don't charge $10 for a piece of crap, please.

15. smokin okin

smokin okin Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    theres just as much of a chance of resident evil will be on the iphone as there is of bioshock ACTUALLY coming on the iphone

16. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Very true. But those are lazy ports. Good ports would keep the differences in the iGame platform in mind.

And adequate diversion, as with most portable and mobile games.

You are aware that the iGame platform's GPU is quite a deal more powerful than that in the PSP, right?

And did you actually see the video I linked to? There's NOTHING on PSP or DS that comes close to that.

I want to play RE4 on the go. Stressful day, blast the killer-cultists-gone- parasite-zombie-playthings away on the NYC subway. :D Sure, there are other games that could fill that void (Zombie Mangle), but none have the sense of immersion of any of the RE games.

17. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    There are many games on the PSP that look better than that Resi4 Mobile game... God of War being a perfect example. I'm not a big fan of my PSP (gets very little play time, even less than my DS), but even I have to admit that I was absolutely blown away by the visuals on GoW.

18. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Can't see it in the vid (low quality), but from those that've played the game, the texture quality for one is beyond PSP's capabilities.

A load of people like GoW for PSP, myself included. But despite the great lighting (something the PSP hardware does really well, and kind of inherited from both PSone and PS2 in that regard), the texture quality is...I've seen better on other platforms. I don't know why it's always the limitation of Sony's hardware for some odd reason. PSone suffered texture warps, PS2 had the worst texture capabilities of that gen (compared to DC, GC, and XBox) and I've even seen, for some odd reason, PS3 textures lacking the "oomph" of 360 games when comparing cross platform titles. It's...strange.