So sad that Apple didn't do what I expected them to do

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by deadlock32, Sep 16, 2012.

1. deadlock32

deadlock32 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Man, where do i start? When the iPhone 5 was revealed, it was just nothing but a new version, nothing else new. Its basically just improved, same design and stuff.... Tim Cooks was not much focused on the iPhone 5, instead, he was focusing on their company rather than the iPhone 5. I miss the sense of excitement and wows, what bout you? Steve Jobs, when he was alive, he was beast at these kind of stuff. He was the one who kept the magic going. From I'm seeing, soon Apple will become just another standard, average company and I hate to see that to happen. Looks like Apple's rivals are bout to catch up real soon. iPhone 5 iPhone 5 just an another phone that is still a middle class smartphone. I hope they dont lose their magic and their way. Their presentation aboutthe Iphone 5 wasnt eye catching, not so much. So my final question: What's gonna happen to Apple? Have they lost their way? Their magic?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Preorders for the iPhone 5 sold out in an hour.

Apple is the most valuable company in the world with a stock that is set to cross $700 a share next week.

Surely this means the magic is gone and Apple is doomed.

3. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Reminds me of Call of Duty. People will still buy it because it's popular..

4. deadlock32

deadlock32 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Well technically, the magic really IS gone, but still their latest products will still sell. I just hope they can do better next time. Or will there be next time...

5. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    So, please enlighten us on how you think Apple can improve its products :)

I'd gladly want to hear your ideas! Apple has vastly improved the smartphone market and you think people buy their products because its popular? Think about WHY Apple is popular! Sure, some other phones are flashy but the iPhones are high quality phones that run outstandingly well. It may not be as customizable as the Android phones, but Apple's products perform way smoother. Many people have Apple products because they're simple, efficient and elegant.

6. Ok, let's all sing along together:

It's the end of the world as we know it.
    It's the end of the world as we know it.
    It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine. :)

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    [​IMG]

couldn't resist.

8. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I think you're mistaken.

The magic only ever comes once in a while with a new product. The magic you know of Apple is announcing a revolutionary device - iPod, a phone, a computer etc.

But once these are released, you can only ever update them, you can't really revolutionise!

9. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Gotta admit Samsung Galaxy S3 looks better :p

10. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    my question would be what would "you" expect from the iphone5?

it has better hardware, bigger screen, it has a new design, ios6 comes with alot of new features.. so i somehow can't see the reason to be dissapointed.
    except that there is no black version with a silver bezel :(

but then i guess the black version is the one to choose anyway to minimize the visual effect of the black borders on non optimized apps in comparision to the white one where it will be more obvious, so its a white one next year.

as for android competition , the s3 is a nice phone, but has its own shares of flaws and in the end you can't judge purely by hardware specs but need to put the hole experience into account and there android has still a long way to go, but since every manufacturer is cooking up their own sometimes really horrible gui extensions there is less and less hope for something more unified.

11. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    #11 shero89, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    So you define a taller screen as better ? we could use more width you know but apple says it wont be comfortable in your hand ( lame excuse ) bump the screen resolution as well same goes for the processor which lacks behind the competition same goes for the camera and the design which is exactly like the 4/4S but with a different back cover as I mentioned before it's a very nice upgrade if you have an iPod touch or iPhone 4 or older model but for me I'll stick with the 4S because the upgrade is not worthy at least for me thought about changing to android but I can't imagine living without the App store which is way better than Google play :)

12. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    To original poster: what do you think is missing from iPhone5?

Also while S3 seems impressive there are two things that make me shy away from it:
    1) Their OS
    2) The plastic makes it feel cheap

13. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well whats "wrong" about taller? its the logical choice when "increasing" the screen size under ios, since most standard gui elements are table views, and showing a row more of content is alot easier to adjust to than a completely "bonkers" resolution with no relation to older hardware.

we will see how new customers react to "old" apps not using their new phones full screen.. an "issue" android has all over, from black bars to stretched, squished views and other horrible things like ultra low resoluted apps running on high res devices unoptimized.

and its wider, i mean its widescreen.. the same format most android phones have.. its just still smaller than some of the other offerings out there.
    i think that comes down to personal choice. for me the around 5" screens are too big for a phone and it gets uncomfortable.

We will see how the iphone 5 will feel on hand when its out..

and how do you know the cpu lacks behind the competition? what competition? its "twice" as fast as the 4s? so its a solid guess that it will be quite faster than the top android league which mostly beat the 4s by a small margin

so what will be the problem with that?

if you think the design is exactly the same as the iphone 4/s then i somehow see something very different. looks pretty different to me.. yes its still an iphone.. like an bmw looks like an bmw and a benz looks like a benz.

its not apples fault that most competitiors design department sucks and they change every radically from one device to the other to see "what sticks"

but for me personally, the iconic design of the 4/s is the best i've seen on a phone ever.. and i think the iphone5 (on screens and videos) look less iconic

as for upgrading.. well as a consumer who has an 4s this can be a tough choice since all upgrades are incremental, but the same is true to pretty much all other mobile phones too.

the performance increase from generation to generation will be slower since we are reaching full blown console performance and if you take a look at the pc gpu market its quite alot of a new gpu generation is 20-30% faster than their predecessors.

so for a consumer who has a 4s it might be wise to wait for the 5s, its not like the 4s is a slouch in any way..

as for android.. having bought a couple devices for development lately i can tell you its different.. but it lacks alot if you are used to the integrated smooth appearance of ios. there is a reason why the iphone is that popular and it surely has nothing todo how much ram it has or how fast the cpu is clocked or the number or cores it has.

14. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    3) pen tile display (fake 1280*720)

15. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    #15 Faeryan, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    Fortunately we have several phone manufacturers to choose from. I feel the width of the phone is optimal. Also looking at screen resolution I think 330something is well and good. It's not like Nokia and Samsung have that much higher. Besides I don't think you'd ever see the difference.

When it comes to processor power I'm pretty sure 5 will run iOS6 and any apps just as nicely if not even better than S3.

On the camera issue I can't say, but at least the iPhone 5 promo pictures were taken with iPhone 5 camera. :p

On the design I'm quite happy as the phone looks classy and not platicy like Samsungs do. Did you know they still have loose back cover to change your battery, just like the 90's phones?

All in all when I think about the market I think Apple did pretty well. It's not worth in the long run to go all in with your poker chips cause most likely there will be new rounds and it really sucks if you don't have anything to bet.

For people complaining about design this is worth checking: http://m.imore.com/bored-now

I think people are so accustomed for Apple to revolutionize the business every year that when Apple does what other manufacturers in the world do it's considered bad.
    I guess that's just shows how awesome Apple is. When there is nothing else to compete against people are expecting Apple to fight itself.

16. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    New title is perfect :p

17. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Tilt to Zoom and turnover to mute, two features I have been waiting for. Damit Apple why couldn't you have been more innovative. ;)

18. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Breaking news: Announcement of new apple device leads to measured and tempered internet debates.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm glad theres a new ipod touch out with a better processor, i dont get any games crashing on my iphone 4 so looking forward to the ipod touch 5 working with every game i've got.

The price is still quite high as i want the 64 gig version, i do wish there was a 128 gig one though.

But happy with the widescreen and processor, probably will get one soon i hope

20. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    I have the S3. It is not "fake 720p" because of the Pentile pixel arrangement. It is actually extremely clear and I can't see the pixels at all unless I hold it up an inch or two from my eye.