So if I write reviews for a site can I put it on my sig?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by GatorDeb, Apr 9, 2009.

1. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    So that /nickless old men can fancy themselves fulfilled, via mechanism of shallow correspondence coupled with the random questioning of my motives.

<3

2. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    One more question.

I have developers who ask me to post a link to the review I made for their game on this forum. I of course can't do that. I received this on a PM but I was wondering if arn or a mod can put it in writing that someone NOT affiliated with a site CAN promote that review site (well, not promote, just link to the review for their game) because members here are telling devs that they CANNOT link to reviews other people wrote for them.

That way if devs are harassed they can point to this thread :D

Thanks!

3. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    I think devs CAN post the reviews people made for them. I know Ian Marsh does it.

4. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    ya, that's fine. in general, those not associated with the site can link to them.

arn

5. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    Hey arn, I've pm's you a few time about this but you've never bothered to answer. Why can't I put appversit y in my sig I don't even have a signature option anymore.

6. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    Appversit y is one of the filtered sites. Don't know exactly why but possibly because of self promotion :confused:

7. Spartan12103

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    I've never seen it promoted though, an it was a hyperlink on the name plus a quote. Really short. My TMA link never had problems.

8. Spartan12103

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    Well the response I got was that apparently people from appversit y spam and have too much self promotion. In all my time here I've never seen that happen and a lot of other members have no idea as well since they're alwasy confused when the stars show up instead.

9. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Only a few weeks ago there was another thread where a 'new member' posted TinyURL links pointing to App Ver sity while the description in the post was misleading. I reported the post (along with other members, I'm sure :)) and it was quickly removed by the moderators.
    Most users never noticed it.
    And that's how it should be.

10. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    OK I find the rule about not posting links to your site AT ALL kinda dumb. I understand it's purpose, we don't want people going crazy like with the MMO codes but with links. But think about this:

What's the difference between someone saying "Hey I wrote a review for X app, here's the link. I highly recommend it" or the dev saying "Hey, username wrote a review for x app, check it out. link" ?

It's the same exact thing. An example is Sky Burger. I beta tested it and naturally, as soon as it came out, I had my review ready. People were asking if it was good, if there was a review. But I could not post the link to my review. I really don't want to "promote" my site, just promote the devs sales.

Same thing goes for some social groups. Like the giveaway and the random discussion group. It is an invite only group, both groups have the same members. It is seniors only, and we all know each other, what site we write at. So why can't we post links to giveaways going on at our site? Again; we don't want to "promote" our site, we just ppl who want to get x app for free.

I hope someone understands my point.

11. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    The key thing is that the TA team aren't against competition. They need to make sure forum users are contributing to the forum in a meaningful manner.

What I usually do is write some other thoughts on the game I've reviewed recently in the thread, and also say that I've got a review up without linking to it. This way I'm adding value to TA by describing what's good/bad about the game and not spamming the forum with links. And then members can visit if they so choose, not because I posted a one liner 'Hey I reviewed this game, check out the score here, blah blah blah link".

Whilst it is sort of frustrating as a site owner, this is their forum and I have no right to spam it with links which don't add any kind of meaningful discussion.

12. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I don't want to "spam" their forum. Re-read my post.

13. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    Here's the difference:

Some site owners/reviewers will proceed to find every app they have ever reviewed, find a thread for each and post a link to each en masse, or create dozens of threads just to post a link to their site. And I'm not even exaggerating a little.

arn

14. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    That I also agree with arn. You don't want that. But if your site gets an exclusive (well, mine does not since I always give them to arn :p) and you want to share, you should be able to say, we at the xxx blog (linked) got some screenshots. And then post them below. That way, the community get's informed, yet you receive a bit of credit.

15. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    But as the site owner you are biased, of course you are going to think everything you post is newsworthy. In contrast, the most newsworthy items do get posted here by random passers-by if the are really noteworthy.

arn

16. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Again true. It all comes down to the user being responsible. If you get a blurry wanna-be screenshot of a supposed new iPhone, I would not post it here.

If a dev sends me a video or a bunch of screenshots of an upcoming premium app or game, I would definitely think it is newsworthy or at least thread-worthy.

17. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Arn would like you to post it here instead and give him all the credit and visitors. That's fair, isn't it? :D

18. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    And I do that already don't I? Of course, not all people are like that. Remember I'm not the only user here. There's ppl here from SlideToPlay and I'm sure they'll post it there instead of here. Arn can't imagine everyone will hand over the exclusive to him.

19. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I'm not disagreeing with you. ;)

I'm looking at it from the point of view (as I see it) of the TA staff. Once you start letting people post external review links you will have a whole heap more posts that simply clog up threads.

It makes sense for the developer to list good reviews in the thread, better still if they edit the first post - not have a dozen people contribute just one link each without posting any useful information besides.

20. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I both agree with you, and don't agree with you. It depends on the situation really.