iPad So does the IPod touch have a chance against the DS & PSP?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jwbrent, Oct 7, 2008.

1. jwbrent

jwbrent Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    Having been a fan of portable gaming devices since the Mattel LED Football game (got the app, great nostalgia), I'm really excited about the touch. The downloadable game concept is fantastic, but with the rumors that Sony is about ready to open their PSP Store and the newly announced Nintendo DSi have downloadable capabilities, I'm not sure if the touch can compete. Having no tactile buttons, I think, is a major disadvantage. I've read about some device being worked on that envelopes the touch and provides a standard D-pad, A B buttons as well as shoulder buttons and I hope it turns out to be a great add-on.

Also, I keep hearing the touch has Dreamcast quality graphics but I haven't seen that. Hopefully, the learning curve on getting to know the system is much shorter than usual.

2. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    How many threads like this do we need? LOL. Anyway to answer your question, Yes. But with the current games line up and pricing issues, NO. Talented people don't come cheap.

3. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    I think we may still see something great from Sega, or (Gasp!) even EA. They have the resources to put a big shiny game together, and their past offerings have done well enough.

Most indie developers on the iphone don't have the time/experience/resources to put together a game that could compete with the DS or PSP, so for the time being the iphone should just be considered a different animal.

I don't think the controls are a limitation, just time. It's not like Sony or Nintendo sent developers kits right before the platforms came out. Everyone is still cutting their teeth on the iphone, and the big developers are just testing the waters. By next year we should see some stuff that's really impressive.

4. As far as I am concerned, my DS is already dead. I haven't had it out of it's case for the last 5-6 weeks, all due to some excellent games already out on the iPod Touch. I have a great Pool game in Virtual Pool (there isn't even a decent Pool game on the DS yet), the flight sim X-Plane (where I challenge myself landing in a variety of conditions), a handful of great word games like Imangi, a handful of good racing games like Asphalt4, and loads of smaller (but still lots of fun) games for one or two players. All being playable without having to swap cartridges every time you want to play a new game, and in some cases a lot better control than a DS counterpart (accelerometer steering in racing games compared to d-pad steering on the DS). And this is just the start. I am waiting for a special forces or WWII fps, but I am not sure how the controls would work on a fps- that's the only stumbling block I can see. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

5. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Aside from the lack of physical buttons my number one concern with the iPhone/iTouch is its battery life. It's just down ridiculous. I can only play Super Monkey Ball for like an hour on a full-charged iTouch while i can play God of War on my PSP for like 4 hrs. I dont see these devices competing with the big mobile consoles yet, maybe in like 2 yrs. By then, of course, we'd probably have a PSP 5000 or something with better everything. So, bottom line: iPhone/iTouch will never be catch up to Sony or Nintendo, in "actual games" that is.

6. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I think this is the gaming device people have speculated that Apple would make someday. Or maybe this is something they stumbled upon... Who knows. But I do think this will take over the mobile gaming industry and Apple will pretty much own the whole mobile device industry (music players, phones, gaming devices)

7. Actually, now you mention it, I completely agree. I use my Touch for music, movies, games, email, everything it's supposed to be used for, and I have to charge at least once a day. My DS, in comparison, could last many hours on one charge. I know I am utilising the Touch more, but the battery life should be appropriately long enough to cope with the usage. I have heard the iPhone is even worse than the Touch (as you'd expect with it's extra functionality).
    My wife only mentioned to me last night that she is getting fed up with her Touch's battery life and is thinking of going back to her 2nd gen Nano (she only listens to music most of the time).

8. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Yeah. I use my iTouch for everything it's worth (music, safari, email) and i've found that just going online for like 30 mins drains the battery like 20%. I can't even play any of my games on it unless i have it docked to my computer charging. The new iTouch is supposed to have a better battery life but i'm not sure it would make much of a difference when playing games >50MB.

9. You assume correctly. I had the first gen Touch and sold it to get a 2nd gen (mainly so I can have sound while playing games without needing headphones). I haven't noticed any improvement in battery life at all.

10. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Different kinds of games

I dont think one format will definitively wipe out the others. There'll be room for them all to grow, in the same way that Playstation muscled its way into an established lead, and Wii has kept is own style of gameplay.
    I haven't played my NDS for ages, but after seeing Real Football 09 on the App Store, I fired up the same game on the NDS for old times sake and still found it enjoyable. Call Of Duty on NDS is also a innovative way to run a FPS game.
    Yes, battery life is a bummer on the iPhone/iPod Touch. But there are third-party accessories now available acting as battery packs, some built-in as protective covers too. And remember that the ipod is way slimmer than the PSP.
    In the end, the reason why we have so many choices is because no one console can cater for everyone. Buy the one you will play most, and if you can afford it, buy them all!

11. NJPodder

NJPodder Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    A couple of importnat things to remember here are that for starters, the Touch/iPhone are both built ground up as an MP3 player (or phone/MP3 player) FIRST, then a multimedia machine second. I know that Apple has put as much emphasis on each area, app development included. That being said, I don't think the word "Compete" should be used here. Personally, I have a DS, a PSP, and an iPhone. I see them as three seperate devices with 3 seperate purposes. To me, the iPhone is a great phone/MP3 player with awesome accelerometer/touchscreen application support and internet cpabilities. It's my all around multimedia device. The DS has always been designed primarily as a game system. It has no built-in web browser, expandable memory capability, native music/movie playback. Gaming is it's purpose. The PSP, while Sony tried to design it as an all around multimedia device, has really only succeeded as a gaming device. Sure, I can put music on it, but I am not hooking up to my arm and going jogging outside with it. Sure, it can browse the web, but with no touch screen, it is very very annoying to do so. Yeah, it can play movies, but only if you are willing to fork over more money than most discount DVD's for those silly little UMD disks, or you have the ability to put your own movies on an expandable memory card.

So, some people are talking about "competing" for gaming. I disagree. To me, they all have very different markets they are trying to reach to, and there is no "best" device among them. It's like apples and oranges to me.

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I agree that they are partly different markets, but Nintendo has made a staple of the casual gaming market, and that is a market that the iPhone/iPod Touch threatens rather significantly. I know that, for me, I'm buying a heck of a lot more iPhone games then DS games now. In fact I haven't bought anything for the DS since the iPod Touch 2.x software update. So while the iPhone won't take away from the PSP much, I think it could put a significant dent into the Nintendo DS's casual gaming market and even pull away some of the rest as people find that they play games more when they have the device with them all the time. I think this also explains the announced Nintendo DSi, but I don't think the DSi will prove very effective as competition for the iPhone/iPod Touch because it remains too big to be a device you have with you all the time.

13. alexhardy

alexhardy Member

#13 alexhardy, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
    If by "a chance" you mean can it stand as a worthwhile gaming platform, I'd say *definitely yes* (with enough developer support to bring compelling exclusive games).

In addition to the big names like EA, iPhone has a thriving indie community that the DS and PSP will probably never have.

Apple are also in the happy position of being able to sell games to iPhone owners. They don't have to sell the iPhone at a loss and hope to reach profitability through game sales (the standard console model).

If you mean can Apple crush the DS and bust Nintendo back to selling playing cards, I'd say *not a prayer*. The DS is a great little console. Get both! :)

(it may give the PSP a kicking)

14. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    The iPod touch can definitely compete, and both the iPod touch and the iPhone will effectively compete with the PSP and the NDS. And it will force Sony and Nintendo to innovate, which is a good thing! Apple has the ability to make things look cool, which the other companies haven't been able to accomplish. Instead of having a downloading concept, they are still in the "dark ages" by using cartridges and proprietary disc formats. We will see how good the downloading systems will be on the DSi and on whatever the PSP will offer. Sony will be able to adapt because it already uses a store to download onto the PS3 and the PSP. But none of these other systems work as smoothly as the iPod touch and the iPhone do. Apple's products still have some kinks that need to be worked out, but the system will only get better, and better apps will come.

Both the PSP and the NDS will continue to exist, but they will definitely lose market share to Apple. The extent of the loss depends upon what Apple decides to do in the long run. If it ends up providing replaceable batteries and extended batteries for the iPod touch and the iPhone, the Apple products may end up taking a significant chunk of the mobile gaming market.

15. alexhardy

alexhardy Member

@vandy1997 Agreed.

People always seem to want to talk about product-killers. "Google building iPhone Killer" etc...

Good products don't need to be killed.

Only envious competitors want a good product to be killed. Consumers should be happy.

It was tragic enough when Sega pulled out of the console business. Heaven forbid that there should be only one gaming platform.

16. davidmdowning42

davidmdowning42 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    #16 davidmdowning42, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
    I only want to buy and carry one little magic box in my pocket and I want it to do everything. I'm willing to sacrifice some of the quality on a few of each of the things that it does, for it to be a jack-of-all-trades. This is the iPod Touch/iPhone hands down. It's gaming doesn't touch the PSP & DS (yet) but it has WAY surpassed Windows Mobile, Palm & Blackberry. I don't want to switch cartriges, and it looks like the DS & PSP are working on that.

But what I don't hear is either of them working on any kind of REAL PDA capabilities. PSP has some, but IMHO it is completely marred by their proprietary format issues and the lack of any amount of real internal storage. When I first saw the stylus on the DS, I thought is would be a Palm with games. No such luck.

I think that myself and many other adults will continue to be content with slightly lack-luster games and battery issues in order to only have ONE do-everything device. That is the strength of the iPod Touch/iPhone. Plenty of devices do just one of the things that it does better. And plenty of devices have done all the things that it does, but none has yet to do each of them so well, and in such a user-friendly sexy package.

17. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I completely agree. I never bought a DS or PSP because I don't want to be carrying video games around with me all the time. Personally, I think books are becoming more and more underrated. I bought an iPhone at first for business reasons. I didn't even realize the gaming power it had.

I think the iPhone can compete, but not entirely with the same crowd. If you're really just looking for games, then you would probably just buy a PSP. If you want something that does everything, then you;d probably get and iPhone or Ipod touch.

I bet the next generation of handheld games will all include accelerometers and onboard memory. Touch screens wouldn't surprise me either.

18. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    I think the iTouch/iPhone and the DS/PSP serve different markets. Along the continuum of "casual gaming" to "core gaming," the consoles currently run: iPhone, DS, PSP.

The thing is that the commercial future of the video games market in general lies on the left-hand side of that spectrum, which is why we've seen the DS and the PSP move to the left in recent years.

In my opinion, the iPhone has already staked out the territory that the DS and PSP are trying to migrate into. It doesn't yet have the install base necessary to really compete with those consoles--the big publishers need to see scale before they'll lay down the development cash to bring top properties to the iPhone--but I think it will happen within a year.

The battery life and buttons are both major issues, to be sure, but it's very possible to design around them if you're clever.

19. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to not compare the DS/lite, but the DSi with the iPhone/iPod touch. The DSi offers a download store, an SD card slot, two cameras and music playback and a web browser. All of this won't be as polished as the App Store is, but it's better than nothing and will suit to parents who give this to their children, which is something, which won't happen very soon to the iPod Touch (think of a 4-year-old hammering something on the unshielded glass, while the closed DS protects itself...).

So we have two groups:

1. teens or older. Most of them have an iPod. Most of them will play games. Will most of them carry two devices with them? Or three (iPod, phone, DS)? The younger they are, the more they will, because they are deeper into the gaming stuff and deep games just aren't yet available on the OS X platform. The older they are, the more they shift to other mobile uses, like social platforms and games will become less important, so they shift to the iPhone platform and leave the DS behind.

2. Children. The DS is perfect to them. It's nearly impossible to destroy this thing. They can have fun with the two cameras. They can listen to music or audiobooks. Games can be downloaded. Games can be transferred from the wii to the DSi and *continued*. And of course you have the ad-hoc-wlan, so you can play games with up to 7 other players while sitting in the train. Many of these things are just not possible with the iPhone/iPod touch. And the DSi, with all these features, is less expensive than the iPod touch!

So, for gaming and a little bit of music the DSi is a really nice piece of hardware. If you grow up, want more and your focus switches away from long nights of gaming you probably go more into the iPhone way (or iPod touch). But, regarding the phone part, the iPhone still has a long way to got to match with the phone stuff, the teens like, like bluetooth file transfer, video ring tones etc.