Snowball Touch

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    lol, I wish I was a Jedi :D

I've already decided that I'm going to buy this game basically whatever the price is...so it doesn't really matter to me...:)

I don't really know how much content your game is gonna offer, so I was just guestimating at $.99...in retrospect, I think you could probably charge more, but given the current app store pricing structure, I don't think you want to go too much higher, no matter the quality/quantity of gameplay...but whatever, this stuff is up to you :) no sense in worrying about it too far ahead anyways...

2. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan Well-Known Member

OpenFeint

Date and price are the last things to decide, that's for sure. :)

@Fletch
    Knowing that you'll pay any price is VERY useful. Maybe I'll institute a one day price of $19.99 :eek: ;)

@Everyone
    I hesitate saying anything about price (even absurd jokes like above) because I know it can bristle people, I do have a little value question, though:
    What kind of value does a system like OpenFeint (with achievements, leaderboards, chat) add to a game?

More specifically, what would OpenFeint integration in Snowball Touch do to your interest and perceived value? I'm most interested in opinions from those who have used games that integrate OpenFeint or something like it.

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I've never been that interested in OpenFeint so it wouldn't add value for me. It's not bad but I rarely use it as I don't care much for chatting when I'm playing a game.

Depending on how the Plus+ system that ngmoco is releasing with Star Defense works out I might find more value in that.

4. aaronsullivan

#44 aaronsullivan, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    I just noticed that OpenFeint (very)recently made a significant upgrade, so maybe we aren't talking about the same thing, yet. :) So, I guess the perception is that it's pretty weak until people realize the new features. :/
    Here's the site link, so people can check it out:
    http://www.openfeint.com/

It's not just about chatting while playing (though I like the support benefits to that on some of the tougher stages) it's now easy to link up with friends using your facebook or twitter account, integrated achievements, leaderboards amongst friends not just worldwide, plus it can post onto facebook or twitter if the player turns it on. I'm finding it very impressive, actually, and I'm not sure what the plus+ system would do differently.

Would that add value?

5. To be honest I've never been particularly interested in social gaming unless there is a significant benefit to doing so. Merely having "friends' in a game for whatever reason has never factored into any decision to play a game, as most of the time I'm more interested in playing it on my own terms than waiting for someone else. To me, the only time when a social gaming feature makes any sense is with online multiplayer games. Otherwise I can take it or leave it, but I'm not interested if it adds anything to the cost.

With regard to in-game DLC, I'd only be at all interested if it was used for expansion packs -- that is, the game itself should be full and complete to the same degree it would have been without DLC. I'm not interested in buying a game only to find out it's missing stuff I have to purchase. Furthermore, the expansion packs should contain enough content to warrant the asking price. 10 new levels for $0.99 in a game that has, say, 50 for $2.99 doesn't really cut it. If anything, the expansion packs would have to have greater value in order to push people over the edge using the DLC system, being that it's new and people are probably going to be a little nervous about using it for the first time.

Just my two cents anyway. I'm interested in seeing what this game will ultimately be like when it's out.

6. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Leaderboards, especially showing friends = very interested.
    Achievements & Facebook/Twitter support = will use 'em if they're there, otherwise, not fussed.
    Chat = absolutely no interest whatsoever.

7. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    yes because EDGE was 100% new and original

8. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Dude, this game is nothing like edge, did you watch the video?

And as for open feint...The only part I would find useful would be online leaderboards. Chatting on the iDevice is laborious, and not very much fun. So I would say it would add some value, but not too much.

9. aaronsullivan

#49 aaronsullivan, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    Thanks for the great replies.

@Mindfield
    As far as the friends thing goes, it would be for comparing scores/progress before and after playing. There would be no waiting for a friend or multiplayer in Snowball Touch.

I mostly agree with your comments on DLC. Your last example is a little hard for me to understand because my alternative is to release standalone games. You're saying it should cost less for the same amount of work because it's in-game (untrustworthy?) buying and not the less convenient in-store buying? Just trying to understand.

@BrettArchibald (& Fletch)
    I believe the chat function ends up behaving more like a forum. For instance, every game gets a tips and tricks chat. You could flip over to it and say, "I'm stuck on stage 23 and I'm going insane what am I missing? How do I get around the penguin?"

To me, this is what that feature could add to Snowball. I agree that chatting with friends during a game is not usually useful.

Also, I'm most interested in the friend leaderboards. Worldwide leaderboards are only interesting to the most hardcore players, but one-upping your friends is fun. :) Plus, from a developer perspective, friends are the people most likely to suggest a good game to you and this makes it a bit easier.

Edit: There was some cross-posting, just want to add that I think there was some sarcasm going on two posts above. I guess I could be wrong. :) Maybe I need to start a new thread without that title. :confused:

@everyone
    I seem to be more excited by it than others here. :) Another nice aspect I enjoy is that I could go on and visit as the developer and make comments and announcements and challenges and have a little fun on a chat and interface that I think would be MUCH more populated than any personal forum I could create/support for the game with my limited resources. It does cost me money though, so I'm still considering.

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    The Plus+ system that ngmoco has made is like a xbox live gamertag.

You can have a profile and there are achiements, challenges etc.

I beta tested all the Aurora Feint games including the OpenFeint System. While I like it I'm not a fan of the current implementation.

OF 2.0 looks amazing though

Honestly as a dev I would leave it out and see what the reaction is to Plus+ (in the new Star Defense update for 3.0) or for OF 2.0 once it starts being added to the current OF games.

11. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Not a Edge ripoff at all. Just joined into the conversation. Any ETA?

12. aaronsullivan

Sorry, no ETA yet. It's just me coding and doing artwork right now, so progress is a bit sporadic, but it's getting very close. How's that for vague. :D

You can check out my work blog (link in sig) and these boards for progress.

So... about plus+. I'm a bit nonplussed by it. (har har.) I looked up OpenFeint today to see progress and within a couple seconds, I'm signed up and have an account and am trying it out with a sample app. Nice. It works, it's simple. In contrast, I have yet to find any official info on plus+ except in news stories. So it has the press, but... seems like anyone outside the ngmoco : ( umbrella is out of luck for now.

Maybe they are testing it out before the open it up, but... it just doesn't seem very inviting right now. I can't even find a comprehensive list of features or a roll out date for other developers. I've seen quotes that suggest it's not going to proprietary.

If I was releasing sometime this week, I'd probably be integrating OpenFeint. Fortunately, I have a bit of room to see what happens. Let me know what you guys think as you start playing with some of this stuff.

Edit: Oh, and on the next significant progress update to Snowball Touch I'll start a new thread so we can leave the Edge debate behind. :)

13. aaronsullivan

14. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    I got the thread name changed, so don't worry about it :)

15. rik555

rik555 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    so can we get an update? when is the game gonna be out?

16. aaronsullivan

#56 aaronsullivan, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
    Today, your wish is my command, rik555. :)

I was sitting down to do some work on the game and I saw your post. I've been meaning to post something since I did get some considerable work done a little while back.

Here's my dev blog link to see the details:
    http://www.buzzabit.com/aaron/
    You can RSS that, too, if you want.
    http://www.buzzabit.com/aaron/feed/

Aside: I really need to do a little revamping of that site. The rss link is hidden at the bottom, the comments link says "No Comments" which almost sounds like a warning not to comment. lol. Edit: Now I'm updating the site a bit.

Anyway, the short version is that basic stat tracking is implemented now and there are little short victory animations at the end of stages. Almost every glitch is fixed and there are just a few sound effects to put in.

The major work that is left is a more finished intro animation, a final end animation, and the stages themselves -- my wife should be able to help more with the stages part more now. :)

So, there is considerable work left, but I'm on that final stretch now and it's much easier to get something done in small time slots -- coding typically works best with large amounts of time available, but coding is mostly DONE.

I'll check for comments here and on my blog, but I AM working on it right now. :D

17. grathina2000

grathina2000 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Hello Everybody I've just joined TouchArcade (best ipod/iphone forum out!!!) and decided to add my 2cents worth straight off the bat.

First off aaronsullivan: Well Done!

As one of my favourite quotes goes "Excellence can be obtained if you dream more than others think is practicle"

The game looks pretty fun. Looks like you have a good idea in terms of using the touch interface by moving "snowball?" along by either moving your finger or keeping it pressed in the direction you want him/her? (come to think of it may be a good idea to let gamers choose either male or female snowball..?..just a suggestion) to move snowball.
    I also like the fact that the levels are not too large. I find this can be very irritating especially if you have to keep moving the camera to see where to go or what to do..many times I've found myself falling off a cliff/road/track/ledge cause I have no idea where the cliff/road/track/ledge goes. With your design it looks at least to have solved the problem I have.

I haven't heard the music you'll be using in the game itself..hopefully its catchy.

I'll look forward to trying it out(reasonable introductory price of course :) )

Good luck!

18. aaronsullivan

Thanks!
    I won't be letting players choose his gender for practical reasons. It means twice as many animations, for instance. :) I always like to think that I'm rolling this little thing around, so the player can be the hero no matter what the gender of the little snowball is.

He'll probably come off as a guy just because I imagined him that way first. I'm all for female leads in games though. I've got a little girl and she sometimes relates to the damsels in distress in games. I hate that. For balance I should mention that we sword fight and she chops me into pieces. (NERF swords are excellent. Just be careful. :D)
    While some stages are large enough that you'll have to look around and you'll always have to be careful and aware of every step you take, I'm trying to avoid the walking/waiting aspect to some of these types of games. If the stages are tight enough, you are mostly pausing because you are concentrating very hard on what to do next. Once you decide, you are only a few steps away from the action you want to take.
    If you listen to the background music of the youtube video: that is the main track. It's hard to hear with all my blabbing over it, but I find it pretty catchy myself. My brother Sean composed and played it. He's working on a bit more for me, but he doesn't have a lot of time. If the first game is successful, hopefully I can convince him to spend much more time with me on adding some great new stuff.
    Thanks.

19. grathina2000

grathina2000 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Thanks for the reply to my questions.
    Hope it gets approved soon..!!..I'm keeping my eye on this one.!!

20. rik555

rik555 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    when will this game be out??? I want snowball touch!