iPad Snooker time!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Adam T., Jan 9, 2009.

1. Adam T.

Adam T. Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Hi all,

Snooker Masters (or Billards etc.) start next week...good time for Pool fans to taste the gentleman's game! ;)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lZwwn-uFbbw

Full press release should be out on Monday I guess; the App's been with Apple all week so should appear at any time.

Best,

-AT

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks I will keep an eye out for this one.

3. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    #3 menom, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    great thanks!!

as long as it's not a top down game [Edit - oops missed the link - looks promising - apart from the guide lines - hope you can play without those - but even if not I'll prob get as all the pool games have yet to have rules that equal what I'm used to playing]

4. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    That game is very graphically similar to World Championship Pool 09.

5. adin

adin Well-Known Member

finally!

6. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    Finally! Another pool game!

I'm just kidding, looks great. Although I don't see anything wrong with the one I already have - Pool.

7. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    Well, Pool is a totally different game than Snooker! The only Snooker game in the store so far was Adrenaline Pool Online, but its Snooker mode was nearly unplayable (wrong size of table and balls).

So all you UK Snooker heads (Snooker is the most viewed Sports on UK TV after football!): How is this new game?

8. adin

adin Well-Known Member

9. Stengun

Stengun New Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Yeah, Snooker is a completely different game to Pool. Much more skill in it.

That clip looks awsome.

10. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Looks promising! Can you turn off the guide lines to make it more challenging? Do opposition players (or indeed the player themselves) have the option to resign a frame if too far behind? Some other snooker games I've played make you play on and on til the end of a frame even if you're 100 points ahead/behind!

11. Adam T.

Adam T. Member

Dec 23, 2008
    #11 Adam T., Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
    The guides get shorter according to difficulty mode (an update is already uploaded to Apple with additional On/Off options...definitely one for the more confident players!).

If you get ahead of the opposition (to the point they can't possibly win), they will indeed resign the game.

Heh brave to be putting yourself in the line of fire :)

Snooker is played on a much larger table than pool it's true. For those new to the game, the basic idea is to pot all the reds first (in order of Red, Any Color, Red, etc), and then all the colors in a specific order with the Black last.

The next color to hit is indicated though, so nobody should be left wondering which ball to play next.

I'm not one for bigging up our own titles (believer in karma here), but it's a pretty good game, feels really nice and solid - a lot of work went into the physics over a very long period of time.... so if you do buy it, I really hope you enjoy it. :)

12. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I believe this is a great version of snooker for the computer. It's an online game, but you must pot a red, then a color, then a red, then a color, etc until you pot the black last, as people have explained how snooker is played...

http://www.maniacworld.com/Lightning-Pool-Game.htm

Feel free to tell me if this is not what snooker is, I don't really know. i just know I used to be addicted to this game

13. Adam T.

Adam T. Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Ye gads no!

That's some kind of trick shot game based around the same principle... Pool size table, oversize balls and just one red at a time. It's definitely not Snooker anyway...

This is probably a passable example, albiet rather basic Flash quality.

14. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Ha my apologies. at least it's a fun game...:eek:

15. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    i thought "wow snooker" and immediately bought it. i guess i should've waited..... there are some serious flaws comparing it to the other poolgames available.
    1.) there is no zoom available....that means you can only rotate the view. this makes for an awkward user interface. basically you are lost without the guidelines because you cannot change your view like in virtual pool where you can really aim properly. not possible here. you need the guidelines to play.

2.) the balls slow down too fast..... feels a bit unnatural but apart from that physics seem to be accurate. i have to force myself to play some more to say more about that.

3.)adjusting the spin is a bit tedious since you have to use 4 arrow keys to do it, which is time consuming.

4.) the power of the shot is determined by adjusting a percentage bar and pressing a button afterwards.

so i am a bit disappointed. this could have been a lot better but the biggest problem is the lack of a proper aiming system.......without the guidelines you cannot play. this kills the game for me but if you like snooker you should still consider buying since it is the only snooker game out there.

i will wait for an update

16. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    You are definitely right about 2.), the ball slows down too fast. But about 1.): Did you notice the zoom in and out when you slide the finger up and down? And off course you have the full table view. I also like the different rotating speed depending on the position of your finger on the screen (more precise on the bottom).

I think it is a bit strange that the stats do not include the normal 1-player-games. But besides this and the weird slow down of the ball it is a quite good Snooker version.

17. Kumulus

Nov 1, 2008
    #17 Kumulus, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
    thats no zoom, thats just rotating the table in the overhead position. there is NO WAY to freely adjust the zoom to aim the white ball like for example in virtual pool or any other billard game out there.

you cannot call this zoom. there is one fixed distance to the white ball, from which you always have to aim. sliding your finger up and down just changes the perspective but it doesnt allow you to just zoom in to the white ball. basically, you don't even see the white ball anymore since its out of your field of view....all you see is the guideline and the spot where the ball will hit......there no skill involved at all.....just follow the lines.

serious flaw. this makes the game alright for a quick game in the train but its far from having the same depth as any other billard game out there.

by the way...its funny how the developer describes this as "advantage over its rival pool games". he couldn't be more wrong.

18. Stengun

Stengun New Member

Dec 29, 2008
    I can't say I agree. The camera on this game is very nice. You can change from low down to a higher angle, and there is also a top down view to switch to. Have you tried this in PRO mode? The guide lines are much shorter which makes it really challenging, and needs a lot of skill and judgement.

I've bought a few pool games now, and this looks and plays much better than all of those. As a big Snooker fan, I feel this realistically reflects the game, and does a lot to make it very accessible, as Snooker is a really really hard to play in real life.

Is anyone watching the Masters on BBC right now? This game looks just like that. Cool! :D

19. Kumulus

Nov 1, 2008
    i guess if you don't mind requiring guidelines to play and not having a proper "manual" aiming system like in virtual pool, than you might like it. it feels more like a pseudo-3d interface for the casual gamer where you do not really have freedom to adjust your view.

personally i really don't like the game and gave it a 2 star review in the appstore with reasons included, which is a shame because usually i really like snooker.

20. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #20 Donburns99, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
    Having trouble finding this on AppShopper, is it not on there yet or am I doing something wrong? Wouldn't be surprised on the latter. :p

Update
    Found it, it's under ISC Snooker