Universal Snakebird (by Noumenon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 21, 2016.

1. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I think (I haven't completed it yet) that the key to *1 is to
    get the moveable block to hang from the spikes at the top. Have one worm underneath and send two over the top. I just can't work out which to send underneath.

2. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Star 5 is the portal level, is it not?
    I'll give some hints in increasing levels of specificity.

Obviously the first step is to get a snake through the portal to the upper area of the level. If you think carefully, there's only one shape the snake can have to go through successfully.

That crate at the top right must have some use. Your second challenge is to get it down successfully. Obviously your only option is to push it to the left... This part is tricky.
    It needs something to land on, but this means the lower snake needs to be extended out a fair distance, beyond safe return by itself. So it needs to have a shape which means it can get pushed back to safety by the other snake.

At this point, you should know how to go through the portal, and also have the block at your dispersal. While the block is enough to get both snakes through the portal, even this isn't enough to solve the level. The block must have a second use.
    Its a fairly lengthy and fiddly process to get the snakes positioned correctly but the main key here is to have the block as far right as possible, where it can also provide support for snakes above it so that some shuffling is possible in the top right of the level. The goal is to get a snake to brigde the gap from spike to exit, and for that snake to be facing left. The level will solve itself from there.

(Please note that none of these spoilers tell you explicitly the steps required. They provide nudges in the right direction, but the .5s are obviously more direct in telling you what to aim for.)

3. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I had to give up people sorry, really didn't like the portals and as the wooz that I am when it gets to difficult I am out, I play games for fun not to get tormented.

Really loved the first 20 levels of the game, so I will keep it at 5 stars for organality.

English is not my native so when you don't understand me just pm me he he.

4. Weird. I love the portals (38 is one of my favorites -- short and sweet). I'm hating the boxes though. Reminds me of Ch 4 of Telepaint, where there's *too* much freedom. But I'm not giving up. I still need to go back and somehow solve 16, 17, 19 & 20 before I hurt my head over the box-pushing levels.

5. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    I totally agree, I love the portals but hate the boxes.
    Yes, 38 was lovely. I think I mentioned it earlier on in this thread as an example of a perfectly designed puzzle. It gives you all the right signals towards a suitably clever solution.

6. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks, mr_bez and TheGreatEscaper, for your tips. For now, I am resisting any spoiler and will try again to bruteforce my way through the remaining levels. So close and yet so far away...

7. How you doing with the boxes? I've managed to solve a few that didn't involve that weird contraption of attached boxes. I kind of liked 39. I could see what I needed to do right from the start, so it was just a matter of pulling it off. But I look at ones like 25 and I don't even know where to begin.

8. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I can definitely appreciate that. I've finally finished 17-19 today and it's so much more satisfying without looking up the solutions.

9. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    I'm at different levels of progress on my iPad and iPhone, but if I recall correctly I've solved 22-25, 28, and 39 in the box world. I think there are one or two joiny box ones in there.
    I actually kind of liked the joiny boxes, their puzzles were quite fun.

10. I may end up liking them once I solve one. I hated the two birds until I solved my first two-bird puzzle. :p

11. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #131 y2kmp3, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Update #4 [27-Jul-2016] I am now at the final (
    secret
    ) level in the game. Yet another seemingly impossible level. :(

Update #3 [27-Jul-2016] Solved *3 (Star 3) level myself.

Update #2 [27-Jul-2016] Solved *1 (Star 1) level myself. Another level that requires "impossible" physics in order to work (at least for my solution). Still, another ingeniously designed level and an equally ingenious solution. mr_bez, your suggestion about the block is correct, but not the relative positions of the snakes (
    it is two snakes at the bottom, one snake at the top
    ).

Update #1 [27-Jul-2016] Solved *5 (Star 5) level myself. I have since looked at the tips posted by TheGreatEscaper for this level. I don't think his steps 3 and 3.5 are the same as those in my solution. In my solution,
    only one snake (not both snakes) needs to go through the portal. The other snake climbs up to the top without using the portal but using the block instead. Doing this with both snakes going through the portal is unnecessary and takes more steps

Just solved *4 (Star 4) level. Absolutely brilliant solution (at least the one I discovered)! Just when you think the game cannot get any harder, it throws you yet an even harder level.

I am just completely dumbfounded by how the developer manages to create such intricate level. I visited the developer's website and saw some of the "sketches" the developer posted from an early prototype of the game. It is too bad that the developer did not post more info on the process on how some of these puzzles were created in the first place.

12. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Continuing to progress through the the levels in order... masochist that I am!
    Level 27 only delayed me for a couple of days!
    I can't remember another puzzle game that managed to keep me persisting despite my frustration, and keep me believing that I can get it if I keep trying.
    How it can still be fun while being such a struggle is just amazing.

13. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #133 y2kmp3, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Finished game (all levels, including
    star and bonus levels
    )! No hints used! :D :D :D

[​IMG]

Had to finish up the game on PC (fortunately, the game has a PC version) because of a recurring crash on iOS.

Overall, this is a superbly crafted and cunningly difficult puzzle game. Some of the game's cleverest mechanics do not mirror real-life physical laws. But as long as you can put this expectation aside, you will find this game to be a true challenge even if you are a seasoned puzzle gamer.

Absolutely recommended!

14. Wow amazing! Congrats!
    I'm banging my head against 16, 17 & 19 before I move on to the later levels (finished all the portal ones, though). 16 is the only one that I have no idea what to even try. I've stared at it and messed around and I just don't see it. (But I don't want any hints!)

15. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Congrats y2kmp3, you are one very clever lady, ha ha.

16. Finally solved 16 today and feel reaaaaaaally stupid for not getting it sooner.

17. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    That's how most of them make me feel when I get them.
    I'm at level 42, forcing myself to do them in order for no good reason.
    This thread feels like a support group!
    Still love the game,

18. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    I just came looking for this thread to mention.... Holy cow what a puzzler. The best ever. Absolutely mind bending puzzles. I just solved that star one puzzle. I just solved that star 1 level. I honestly felt it was an impossible, possibly bugged level. But boy... What a solution!

19. amaurote

amaurote Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    I love this game, and the graphics is beautiful.
    But! The gameplay is not as clear as in this game. This is a Zx spectrum game, running on browser emulator. I think the gameplay is simpler and better in this version. After loading press 4: Cursor for the best controll (pc keyboard arrows).

20. retrogamOR

retrogamOR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    This game is brutal - Yet i can't stop playing it or thinking about possible solutions when i'm not playing it.

The star 1 level looks impossible to me.But it's not going to beat me!