Universal Snakebird (by Noumenon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 21, 2016.

1. 34 is another one that I completed but can't remember how.

2. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I skipped level 21 and did level 22 and 23 they are easier and a lot of fun, because with these boxes in place it becomes a physics puzzler as well, great fun, you can think of hundreds of levels with these physics stuff in mind.

3. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Like an inverted "L", for instance with a snake propped up at the end. The game also ignores friction, for instance you can push a snake with an object resting on top of it, and the object won't move. The point I'm trying to make is that it isn't actually the case that it follows the laws of physics with only a single exception. This isn't actually a physics game, so no reason it should.

4. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    You can move boxes so it is a physics game in my eyes as well.

5. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #105 y2kmp3, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    Huh? The puzzle scenario you described is not an example in which the snake "defies" gravity or "ignores" friction. Even in real life, it is possible to have a snake moving underneath a heavy object (assuming the snake does not get crushed) sitting on top of it without the object itself being moved. This is because the object exerts a downward force on the snake (from gravity, which the game obeys) and the lateral counter forces (opposite to the snake's direction of movement) is not enough to overcome the object's inertia. In fact, the scenario you cited is a good example where the game obeys both Newton's first law (inertia) and the third law (equal and opposite force), even though the latter law is conveniently ignored in other levels when the game suits to do so. It is this inconsistency that I am referring to, not the fact it merely disobeys the third law.

6. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I finished 24 levels now and to be honest I watched 3 levels on youtube because they took me too long and I am 45 years old so I am getting overdue a bit ha ha.

The levels I watched were level 17, level 19 and level 21, congrats to the people who solved these levels on their own.

7. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    @y2kmp3
    I don't see that the second law of motion is ignored in the solution to the puzzle you mentioned. I could see your problem if the game was called Snake, but this is Snakebird!

In my mind, each move is a flap by the snakebird. It flaps its wings once to move a square, then must rest before it can flap again. When you
    push a bird you are sat on
    , you are using your wings to push air backwards while propelling yourself and the other bird forwards.

8. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Roger you made me LOL in the literal sense

Chiming in a bit. I'm only partially seriously playing this, I mean, I'm relying on YouTube for too many of the levels. As my excuse I use lack of free time and not laziness (or my age, though I could!) :D

I'd say that the game physics look consistent to me. It sure is not real-world physics, for example what snakes can do the acrobatics of L7 or even a better example, L19?? But I can accept it because it is consistent for a video game. Like a 2D game mostly, with as a last rule (lowest priority) applying gravity. Though I have to admit that
    L26
    felt as a stretch. I think in part it explains the difficulty of the game: it doesn't introduce the rules, it throws you straight in the deep end. And the combination "mostly 2D plus some gravity" doesn't make it very intuitive somehow (but who is afraid of a challenge? :D)

Another difficult part (to me at least) is that some solutions are very "algorithmic" and L21 is a good example. I mean it would be easily solvable by a computer, but the sequence of steps looks so "random" to humans that it makes it almost impossible to solve if not for lots of trial and error (randomness plus big solution space :(). If some of you can easily reproduce solving L21 quickly (by having a strategy and not by simply remembering the steps) big kudos to you!

By the way, was L2 mentioned already? There the snake collapses from 4 to 2 units (inside the cave), but that I consider a bug and not a game mechanic :)

9. When does the snake collapse from 4 to 2 units? I don't see that happening.

10. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    @mr_bez, @y2kmp3, it is Flappy Snake (aka Snakebird)!
    Yes, that does make sense in a weird way :)

And it is not that the App description didn't warn us, LOL:

11. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I've just replayed Level 2 and the snake does go from 4 to 3 in my solution. There's a hidden gap under the bottom right of the cave that part of the bird's tail falls into. Can't believe I didn't notice it before.

If you go straight down when you enter the cave then down again, it's not actually solid and you can fall in the water. Now that I don't like. I don't think there are secret hidden spaces in any other level I've beaten.

12. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Nice one, saosijs! Good catch.

13. Omg I see it now! Yeah, that has to be a bug. There's a hole there when there shouldn't be.

I never noticed it before because my solution didn't involve going face-down like that.

14. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    No, nor did mine. In fact, mine was like TotalBiscuit's eventual solution, but my tail still dropped into it just before I escaped the cave. I'm not sure if it's just to make it more obvious to people that they're on the right track.

15. Nah, they confirmed on Twitter that it's a bug that slipped past them.

16. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #116 y2kmp3, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Update #3: Got Star 6 level. Insane number of steps required to complete the level!

Update #2: Finished main campaign (Level 0 to 45)! Solved all on my own. Onto the Star (and very scary) levels. Home stretch...

Update #1: Got Star 2 level. :) Once you see the "trick" to the solution, you hit yourself for wondering why you keep missing it previously. Feeling of both victory and defeat, all wrapped in one!

I am at the "final" set of cloud / star levels. These level raise the level of difficulty of the game to yet another level. This is just insane. There are no words to describe them.

17. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I have not seen a single case where the game doesn't obey its own logic, but whatever. Criticizing this about as absurd as complaining that the players' hands don't catch fire when handling flaming basketballs in NBA Jam.

Fantastic game. Play it, or don't. I don't care.

18. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    I've been going through all of the levels in order (now on 24) just because I'm stubborn. But I think it's yet another excellent design decision by the devs to lay out a variety of levels in no direct order as you advance. So often, difficult games like this run you into a wall, which leads you to either seek online assistance or just endure frustration until you succeed or give up. It works well here, and I'm not sure if it's something I've seen before in other puzzlers. Nice touch.

Just by accident, literally minutes ago, I discovered that the game actually does remember where you left things if you have to close the app in the middle of a level. Yesterday I kept setting my iPad down for long stretches, afraid to lose where I was. Sheesh.

Meanwhile, I've been enjoying the scientific discussion of just what would be logical behavior to expect from a snakebird!
    I actually like that there's no real guidance, and you get to figure out these quirks on you own from just playing around.

Anybody else had some serious "Tetris effect" from this beast? My brain cells are twisting and turning, all at right angles, even when I'm not playing. I actually had snakebirds in my dreams last night, which may or may not have had something to do with me succeeding on several levels when I woke up early.
    Oh, Snakebird... "I wish I knew how to quit you."
    I'm kind of obsessed.

19. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    The only game that has 'Tetris Effect'ed me is The Witness. That's planned to come to iOS soon...

Wow y2kmp3, you've overtaken me! I'll need to get back into this when I have the time.

20. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I now have only Star 1, Star 3, Star 4, and Star 5 Level remaining to complete. Managed to solve all of the other levels with using any hints or help. Unfortunately, the outlook forward does not look good, as I literally have no idea how to attack those levels. :(