Universal Snakebird (by Noumenon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 21, 2016.

1. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    That TotalBiscuit video is hysterical.

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Finishing 17 was a big "yes!" Moment

3. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    The most remarkable surprise about this game is the constant "ha-ha" moment you get in almost every one of the later levels. In many ways, the puzzle elements are on par or even exceed the ingenuity of contemporary masterpieces like The Witness.

4. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Why is the totalbiscuit level 3 different from my level 3? Are the steam and iOS versions different???

5. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #65 y2kmp3, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Yes, I too noticed Level 3 was slightly different. The game was released originally for the PC and had been updated a few times on that platform. This iOS version may be more than just a straight port of the original but may also include some modded levels.

6. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Ah okay. It's interesting to note that while the level 3 layouts are very similar, the new level three removes the starting trick of the Steam level 3. I think the new level 3 overall is a better difficulty curve and introduction to the spikes but I really like the starting trick of the Steam level 3. I wish they started the iOS level 3 with the snake in the same position (on top of the leftmost fruit).

7. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    I had to buy the unlock. Had to.
    I knew it'd hooked me, but it's in even deeper now.

Brilliant game.

I'm bothered by the low ratings on the AppStore.
    There's a dilemma here. The game looks cutesy, and the nature of it isn't clear just from looking at screenshots. Since it's hard to know what you're getting into, it makes sense to have a few levels free to try. The problem is that I think some people are downloading with the expectation that there will be cutesy gameplay to match the cutesy look. Not so. This is a brain buster, for sure. So I think some are put off by the difficulty.
    At the same time, people have become used to free-to-play snack gaming that gives you a quick fix and stays available for whenever you have a few minutes to reach into your pocket. This game isn't that, either. This takes some time and attention, and it costs a few bucks to open up. So I think that some people are put off by their free-to-play expectations.
    I think those are the reasons why ratings are being skewed so ridiculously. Still, this pay model makes since because this is something you've got to try before you can really appreciate. I don't know what the developers could do differently, and I certainly don't know what they could improve. I mean, damn! The claws on this thing! It's absolutely flummoxing while you're working, and just immensely satisfying when you succeed. Friggin' delightful.

This game may be too good and too smart for the casual public.

Best puzzler in a very long time.

8. I've never been so frustrated by App Store ratings as I am with this game. They chose the fairest model possible (outside of any weird Apple quirks) and people complain because the entire game isn't free. #

I finally completed some 2-bird puzzles and I'm looking at that first star puzzle with three birds and I don't even know where to begin.

Love this game so much. It's just about perfect in every way. Would be nice to have iCloud, though.

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'm quite shocked by how quite shocked you guys are at the App Store ratings. :p Then again, I did come back from Android a couple of years ago and have been desensitized by the 2 million "The Walking Dead is such a great game. A 5 star game in fact. However, I'm giving it 1 star because it's not free. Only the first episode is free. Why do I have to pay for the rest? Make the rest free and I'll give you 5 stars, okay?" comments.

To quote Slipknot from way back when: "People = Shit"

Myself? I love the game, unlocked the full version and played all I can. I've deleted it due to the fact that no matter how hard I try, I can't help but compare this to sliding block puzzle games. Those, I despise with all of my being. ALL of it. I get that playing with multiple Snakebirds is all part of the way the game works, but I just can't get over how much they remind me of sliding blocks.

10. #70 AppUnwrapper, Jul 24, 2016
    Weird. I hate sliding block puzzles but never made that connection to them here. (What's Inside the Box has some of the most frustrating sliding block puzzles and I didn't like those at all).

That said, the undo button is a huge part of why I'm loving it. I like that I can make mistakes and then just go back as far as I want to where I think I was on the right track. Without the undo button, I would probably hate this game.

This and Puzzlepops are two of my favorite puzzle games this year, but this one is far more charming graphics-wise. Also, zero filler whatsoever!

Edit: Forgot about Telepaint! Good year for puzzle games!

11. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I am stuck on level 17, I think you need the red Snakebird to go tail down first not head down and I am not getting that.

12. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I don't know if I should admit this, but this game is so clever that I've watched a couple walk throughs (level 7, 8) and it STILL takes me several tries to get them right!!

13. Lol well some levels, even after solving them, I forget how I did them. I have that problem with Puzzlepops, too. I've solved level 99 in that game several times and I still can't remember how!

14. #74 AppUnwrapper, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #75 metalcasket, Jul 24, 2016
    Great videos. Watched the last few and I'm starting to get that there's a method to the madness. Tempting me to reinstall, damnit!

That and Luke's dangling carrot comment. You know, that he didn't think he could make it past Level 10 at one point for example, but managed to finish off the game.

16. I was stuck on #7 for such a long time (oddly, I got halfway there early on but forgot about it and kept trying other methods). But once I got one two-bird puzzle, the others came more easily. Now I need to try and tackle a 3-bird puzzle, but also just got one with portals! I like how some later puzzles open up instead of it being completely linear.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I guess you could consider that a Super Hexagon-like quality, where playing on harder difficulties inadvertently make you better at easier ones.

All I know is...If I decide to stick with it one final time, I implore Noumenon Games to consider adding iCloud support.

18. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #78 y2kmp3, Jul 24, 2016
    I am not sure I am keen on accepting some of the game's mechanics that do make make sense physically.

In particular, the game obeys the law of gravity and the law of inertia (Newton's first law of motion). Yet, some of the levels require mechanic that conveniently ignores Newton's third law of motion in that the snakes can push onto each other without an equal and opposite reaction. This lack of conservation of momentum (as implied by the third law) creates all sorts of impossible movements that the game leverages to solve the levels. I am not fond of this, as it means that the player is tasked to discover all of the these quirks which the game sees as possible behaviors but which should not occur in the first place.

A game can break physical laws to use as a premise for the game's mechanics. An good example is Antichamber. But such a game should be internally consistent. Here, the game is only partially consistent with itself in its mechanics. I raise this point not necessarily as a criticism of the game, but as a possible explanation why so many of us (I count myself among this group) have found this game so difficult to grasp.

19. Are you referring to level 14? Because I also accidentally figured out a mechanic I didn't realize was possible (the pushing). But I'm not sure it bothers me. I'll see as I progress.

20. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #80 y2kmp3, Jul 24, 2016
    No. It is much later. You will know when you see the level (
    Level 26
    ), as I don't believe the level is solvable without using that particular mechanic. :)