Universal Snakebird (by Noumenon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 21, 2016.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Put that on the back of the box! :)

2. Muscat

Muscat Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Haha, I tweeted the hell out Snakebird. Everyone should play this.

I got to like level 5 and thought "I will never be smart enough to solve this". Then I got past and got to level 10 and thought "I will never be smart enough to solve this". In the end I 100% completed the game. It does an incredible job of constantly making you feel like something is out of reach, and then allowing you to surprise yourself.

I feel like it's worth mentioning I am totally not that good at puzzles. I can't even solve 2 star Sudoko puzzles. But Snakebird really drew me in.

Like I said, GOTY 2015 :cool:

3. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Oh, cool! Nearly picked this up on Steam multiple times

4. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I am loving this so far. Very happy they ported it to iOS!

Any idea why it isn't higher rated on the app store? No reviews are showing up and it is only 3.5 stars. It runs really well on my end. Do people not like the demo payment model?

5. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just finished level 7, first thought this is impossible, but when you finnaly do it it's great, what a great puzzle game.

6. Marlon Bargh

Marlon Bargh Active Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 7, 2015
    I have spent at least half an hour on the first "special" level. How on earth are you supposed to beat it? Any tips?

7. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Can't beat it either, you need to use that attribute but I don't know how, I think it goes on top over that edge with the spikes but I am not sure.

8. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    I just read the comments at the Appstore. It is such a pity for such an amazing game to receive such bad comments. I am wondering if the people there are so retarded or 5 years old or never played a puzzle in their life. Some say they can not get past level two rating it for that reason only 1 star. Of course you can not. To get past this level you have to use a special part of your body. The brain. After playing the game and buying the 45 levels seeing the comments there just made me laugh and at the same time feel a bit sad about the devs and their hard work to make this gem. And that is the reason why forums like toucharcade are the places i always visit. If i saw the comments at the Appstore only i would never buy the game. I hope the game sells many many copies at the Appstore and the game gets what it deserves at the comments and rating section.

9. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Well said man.

10. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    It's really sad that puzzle games always get this kind of treatment.
    On a game like Flappy Bird all the comments are 'OMG I can't beat my highscore of 17! FIVE STARS!'
    Meanwhile, on a game like this: 'Can't beat level two. Stupid game.'

It's an unfortunate fact that these days, the thought that developers and designers put into games is hardly appreciated - because the modern audience cannot be bothered to return the favor and put some thought into the game.

11. Haha omg level 7. I got one bird in and was super proud of myself and then realized I needed to get both through. # 10 is also proving difficult, but I know I'll get them both eventually. :)

Question for those who've bought the whole game already -- does it give you more freedom to jump around different levels? I love love love this game but I like being able to try several different levels at a time so if I'm stuck on one, I can take a break and work on others.

12. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I got level 0 to 10 open and 20 and 21 and 13 and 15 and the special level 1 in the cloud that's all.

13. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    7 was a tricky one no doubt. Think about how to get the 3 block long snakebird forward to each stop.
    10 is really quite sneaky. One of my favourite levels thus far. Consider every possibility carefully. Don't be too quick to eliminate any. Just keep in mind that you're not the only thing that can move the snakebird around.

Don't know if it's just me but I like the single snake puzzles a lot more than themulti snake ones.

14. Thanks! Not quite as open as I'd like, but it's better than only having access to 1-2 at a time.

15. I actually just got 10. It was so obvious once I realized the solution. Looooove this game.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    If you're having difficulty with 10 onwards, trust me whenn I say you should be thankful you can't access all the other levels since they're becoming practically impossible in a hurry. I've yet to beat a single level post-IAP unlock and might give up on the game altogether.

17. Eek!
    I just bought them bc 7 was stumping me and I wanted more levels to work on.

18. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    It looks like most of the app store reviews are low because the game is not what they expect. The cute graphics and 4+ age rating makes people think this is a kids puzzle game.

Also the app does not do a great job of telling you up front this is a demo for the full version. You are just presented with a dialog telling you to buy. I think if these two things were more clear in the description then it might help.

19. Apple should just delete any reviews that say "Don't download because the entire game's not free."

20. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    +1 Shared sentiment. As a puzzle game lover, it is disheartening to see so frequently clever puzzle games being put down unnecessarily by ignorant players whose fault the game simply for not being trivial.