Universal Snake Rewind (By Rumilus Design)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by new_ipodtouch5G_owner, May 13, 2015.

1. TomRumilus

TomRumilus Member

May 14, 2015
    Software Developer at Rumilus Design
    Turku, Finland
    Hi ironsam80, thanks for the welcome and the encouraging words!

The control method you suggest is actually one of the two or three new ones that we are now adding to the game. So, it will be in the next version. :)

2. Smurgendorf

Smurgendorf Active Member

Nov 29, 2012
    California
    Make the swipe controls work like Nimble Quest and this game will earn a permanent spot on my phone.

3. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Hey, welcome... It's just true words... As a little bit older, my first ever (with friends highscores etc) mobile game was Snake back then in my beloved Nokia 5110.
    You have really awake all the memories of having no more than 3 games (the pre-installed) games in our mobile phones... and we melt on them for hours... On the other hand the version you brought to us now (in our powerful pocket computers) feels fresh and totally worth it. If you rule the controls (a super important area for a Snake game you've got it).

P.S: Just a last advice... Bring the update as soon as you manage to do it, so to be one step ahead of the negative buzz (if there is of course) around the net...

Once more good luck!

P.S 2: Awesome work with the soundtrack... Great atmosphere!

4. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    This is a little bit difficult because Nimble Quest use a more wide areas of moving and hiting... Snake has to be even more accurate as for the turnings and the paths finding.... But i totally agree that the swipes must be more ''sensitive'' and quick!

5. TomRumilus

TomRumilus Member

May 14, 2015
    Turku, Finland
    Ok, thanks for the suggestion... downloading now and I'll have a look at it.

6. TomRumilus

TomRumilus Member

May 14, 2015
    Turku, Finland
    Yeah, I'm from that generation too. When reading the news about Snake Rewind, it's been really nice seeing all the people's comments about the old Nokia Snake game and how fondly they remember it. It really seems to bring back a lot of good memories.

Nice that you mentioned the soundtrack, we're really happy with that too. Most of the songs are actually old Amiga MODs, composed in the 1990's by Bjorn Lynne (aka "Dr. Awesome", famous for making music for games like Bomberman and the Worms series). We sent him a mail and he was happy to license these tracks to us to use in Snake Rewind. So they're pretty spot-on for a game like this. Also we have a couple of tracks from our in-house composer Jaakko Arvilommi and those are pretty nice too.

Well, back to coding, I have some new controls to implement... :)

7. TomRumilus

TomRumilus Member

May 14, 2015
    Turku, Finland
    Snake Rewind Improved Controls

The improved controls are now ready! We submitted the new version to AppStore yesterday so now we're just waiting for Apple to review it (based on our previous experiences it could take up to two weeks though).

The swiping works much better now, the double movements should be gone, U-turns are possible (by swiping backwards on either side of the snake head), and the swipe length can be adjusted to your liking. Whether or not it works as well as in Nimble Quest now... well, I guess I'll have to leave the verdict to you. :)

We've also improved the guides, added two new tap modes and two new virtual button modes. We hope everybody can now find a control that they are happy with! Thank you for your patience and hope you give Snake Rewind another chance when the new version is out! :)

Meanwhile here's a full list of changes in the new version and some screenshots to illustrate the control changes:

Control changes:
    - Improved swipe, with U-turn support and setting to adjust the swipe length
    - Improved guides, with arrows to show tap directions and subtle blinking to highlight tap areas
    - New tap modes: Screen-Pad and Turn
    - New button modes: D-Pad and 2-Button, with adjustable button size
    - New control UI with instructions and hints
    Other changes:
    - You can get free fruit now also by enabling interstitial ads for one hour
    - Snake movement now more smooth
    - StarDust level mission #3 fixed
    - GameCenter connection fixes
    - Some fixes to IAPs

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Awesome. Really looking forward to the update. :)

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Devs listening to feedback? Me likey much!

10. Smurgendorf

Nov 29, 2012
    California
  11. TomRumilus

TomRumilus Member

May 14, 2015
    Turku, Finland
    It took while, but now the new version is approved. I guess the initial buzz we had has pretty much been lost/turned negative now, but we'll keep updates coming and hope that people will like the new versions better, ratings improve and that the downloads pick up again at some point. Lesson learned for us: make even more usability testing before a global launch.

But thanks to everyone in this thread for the encouraging and kind comments! Hope you enjoy the game!

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Flawless, flawless, flawless. The swipe controls are so bloody perfect. THIS is the Snake Rewind it should have been from day one. I cannot commend you for your hard work and I really hope it's not too late. This is the Snake I've known and loved for years. I'm THIS close to buying that doubler. :)

13. UnhappyUnlucky

UnhappyUnlucky Well-Known Member

Great update. Thanks for adding the d-pad. The controls are much more fluid now making the game that more enjoyable :)

14. Smurgendorf

Nov 29, 2012
    California
    Swipe controls feel flawless now! This game is fantastic! Definitely will rate 5 now!

15. Pickman

Pickman Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    5 Stars well deserved! It's so good to have snake back on the phone.

16. TomRumilus

TomRumilus Member

May 14, 2015
    Turku, Finland
    Thanks for the feedback and ratings on the new version. Much appreciated! :)