iPad Smiles Zen on Sale this Weekend

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PoV, Feb 13, 2009.

1. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    #1 PoV, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
    Smiles Zen, the patience game half of IGF Mobile Finalist Smiles is on sale this weekend.
    $1.99 (regular price $2.99).

Smiles Zen is a unique patience game, like a combination of Solitaire and a Matching game, with strategic elements much like Sudoku (but easier). The goal of the game is to light up the board.

Sale ends Sunday night, so act now! :D

You can check out Zen in this full Smiles video (1:18 in).

As usual, Smiles is available for $4.99. This contains both Smiles Zen and Smiles Drop as a single icon. Regular price is $2.99 each.

You can learn more at the website.

http://www.smiles-game.com/

2. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    I still recommend those interested to pick up the full version of Smiles.

Two fantastic games in one, you can't go wrong!

3. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Me too, but I'm biased. ;)

4. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Are you guys planning on having a sale on the full Smiles anytime soon? ;)

5. holliberry

holliberry Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Dammit, they both look awesome, but I have waaayyy too many games right now. Maybe I'll get an itunes card for v-day, haha :)

6. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    No plans at the moment.

7. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Glad you released the Lite version. Downloaded, played both games, loved it. Buying the full game now. :)

By the way, Puff Bomb is also awesome. Is this also coming to the iPhone?

8. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Feature Request: Copy the iSafe-Feature of Rolando* and display a number with the % completed on the Homescreen.

*I know that most games feature iSafe in that they save and restore the game state seemlessly. But Rolando managed to give it a nice name and presentation and displays this bubble, which is a great marketing effect.

9. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    ^ Good idea. :)

10. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Yes, it's on the agenda. Adapting the unreleased console remake. :D

Showing the number would be cool. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to do it for version 1.2. I'm not sure ngmoco's stance on the general use of the "iSafe" term, but Smiles certainly remembers where you left off. :)

11. Rhino

Rhino Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    hey, thanks so much for the lite version...what an awesome game....i will be buying this game now for sure thanks to the lite version!

12. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    After trying out the lite version I must say that this is a game with great graphics and smooth animations. Everything is so smoothly rendered, not to mention the cutiness of the icons. But I'm not very good in this type of game, I just simply tap and match the same tiles without considering, or should I say couldn't tell what will lead to the next round. I just simply put and see what happened. And sometimes I managed to get a good chain multipier without me knowing it LOL!

The bottomline is IF I somehow good in this game then I'll surely buy it. Otherwise I'll just play the lite version.

13. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    #13 PoV, Feb 14, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
    And that's alright. It's a game designed to grow in to. :)

There's no rounds in Drop, nothing you particularly you have to do. That's actually the point. There is the swap mechanic to learn, and that's it. The rest is for you to grow in to.

As you play, you eventually pick up that the tile you touched goes in to the reserve. From that, you start getting used to remembering that last tile, and look for the next match with that. Eventually, you start trying and making matches while the game is matching and clearing tiles you didn't see. From here you get used to scoring and combinations (Levels simply mean more points). And so on. There's more and more layers for you to grow in to as you play.

It has no clock on screen because there's no reason to pressure you. You can play to relax. You can safely divert your attention without reaching for the pause button. But at the same time, you can play it as a challenge, or eventually learn to.

In a way, it's almost a matching game sandbox game. Push some buttons and get some instant gratification, or stick with it and get a lot more.

14. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Any news on the price drop for Smiles $4.99?

15. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    No current plans to drop Smiles' price, especially with GDC coming up at the end of March.

It should become available for more platforms in the future though. :)

16. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    #16 Devilishly Good, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    now FREE