iPad Smiles: Match 3 made fun again

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by pope22, Dec 29, 2008.

1. pope22

pope22 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Hi, this is my first original post here on the TA forums. I wanted to throw out a game I hadn't seen get much mention on the boards in my weeks of lurking :) It's called Smiles, a match 3 that sells for 4.99 It may seem like a bit much for a match 3, but it's presentation, polish, and 3 game modes, has made it a highly addictive title for me. Not to mention, it has 140 achievements. I'm a sucker for achievements, if I already enjoy the game they will keep me coming back to it. The only addition I could really hope for would be online leaderboards. Not that demolishing my wife's highscore isn't a blast, but sometimes you want more :) So anyone who enjoys puzzles, casual games, and/or highly addictive game play, I urge you to pick this one up.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294911522&mt=8

2. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Kimtopia
    Smiles is one of the five or so games I play regularly. It is one of my favorites. I like that it's not timed.

3. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Same here. I really like the fact that there are different tile themes.

4. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I really like that too.

Smiles Zen is my favorite part of the game. Totally original, nothing like it on the iPhone.

Smiles is a great game for $5 :D You won't regret buying it if you really like puzzle games ;)

5. pope22

pope22 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2008
    I love Zen, atleast until I got to using all the icons, and I keep getting stuck...now I feel a need to try again ^_^ BTW, does anyone feel slightly creeped out by the veggies with faces? How do vegans feel about that?

6. the vegans are too malnourished to care : D

j/k

7. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    +1

One of my first purchases and still installed. :)

8. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Wow everyone really loves it so much? I feel like it wasn't even a blip on the radar. I wish I didn't just waste 2$ on trism.

9. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I had been planning on buying this for a long time and just got around to doing it. It really is a fun game. There are tons of game modes and it is very addicting. Smiles Drop can get pretty intense at times.

Can anyone explain the difference between Drop and Drop +?

10. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I would like to know what makes this better than any of the other million match-3 games. I don't even mean different anymore. I mean better.

11. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm pretty sure Drop+ is just Drop, but the rocks/ice need to drop farther to break...or something like that. I just know Drop+ does something to modify Drop to make it more difficult.

12. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Match 3 and Tower Defense - WE'VE HAD ENOUGH. Can we get some original apps, please?

13. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Easy there... I eat applesauce like you for breakfast ;)

But yes, I ended up trying Smiles Zen not too long ago when the dev PoV gave a few copies away on the boards. I loved it but my girlfriend didn't like it too much and wanted to try Drop. So I bought Smiles so I could have both... Now I have to pry my iphone out of her hands so I can check my email and text messages!

I always keep it on the veggie theme... BUT I refresh when the mushroom appears =/ The shape is odd and makes too much negative space. I love the rest of them.

14. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    ^ Ha! Vegans, have they not heard of the food chain? (Simpson's reference but can't provide video, damn you youtube!)...
    Yeah, Smiles Zen is pretty cool. I still play it from time to time. Although I don't see a clear difference between Hard and Master difficulties...

15. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    I love it. It is just the best in match 3. I love the avalanche mode. Its a shame how few people bought it.

16. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    This game seems so good, but the graphics are turning me off. I know I shouldn't care about the graphics that much, but they just look like they're for a six year old. Do they look better when you're actually playing the game? I have nothing against bright colors or anything, I love Scoops Bugz, and Bomboozle, but these just seem too "cutsie" for my taste. I don't know, I may end up still picking this one up

17. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Not at all, they are perfect and i love them.

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    There is also another theme which is colored tiles with a simple symbol inside.

Reminds me of Planet Puzzle League (Puzzle de Pon) or Tetris Attack

19. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    hmmm, I loved both those games so I think I'm gonna pick this one up later tonight

20. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Kimtopia
    Why is it better? For me, it is the sounds, the look of it and the lack of a timer.

I play to relax. Timers make me tense and then I yell at my family when they interrupt me!